The veterinary profession thrives with esteemed colleagues who have dedicated themselves and their careers to a diverse range of disciplines—agriculture, public health, humane education, animal welfare, clinical practice and research, government activities, professional education, and more.
The AVMA Excellence Awards honor these individuals for their contributions to both animal and human health. These annual awards recognize excellence in every aspect of veterinary medicine. They honor educators, researchers, clinical practitioners, veterinary advocates, and those who are not veterinarians but whose work has contributed significantly to advancing veterinary medicine. The variety of awards showcases the breadth of veterinary medicine, the diversity of veterinary careers, and the many ways in which veterinary professionals protect both animal and human health.
AVMA recognizes individuals with awards spanning the following areas:
- Advocacy, media, and public service
- Animal health and welfare
- International affairs
- Volunteerism and leadership
All award recipients are presented with a crystal award celebrating their achievements, and honored in a press release and on the AVMA website and social media.
How to submit a nomination
This is your opportunity to recognize mentors and colleagues for the valuable work they do and their contributions to both animal and human health. Nominate someone you know who has made an extraordinary difference to the veterinary profession.
- Choose the right award for each nominee. Read the descriptions, nomination criteria, submission requirements, and selection process for each award.
- Submit your nominations. Download the nomination form, gather all required supporting materials, and submit them together by email to avma-awardsavma [dot] org no later than February 22, 2023. Nominations will not be accepted after this date.
If someone you nominated last year was not a recipient, you may contact avma-awardsavma [dot] org to ask that the nomination be reconsidered during this year’s nomination and selection process. Resubmitted nominations may be carried forward for only one additional year. After that, submission of a new nomination is required. More information is available in the Frequently Asked Questions.