This award honors an AVMA member's long-term contribution to the field of canine research. The honoree will receive $2,500 and a crystal award, which will be presented at the National Veterinary Scholars Symposium. All nominees must be active AVMA members.
Nomination and Selection Procedures
No self-nominations will be considered.
Nominations are to include:
- Completed nomination form
- Cover letter from the nominator including all of the following:
- Name of the award
- Name, mailing address, telephone number(s), email address, and college and year of graduation of the nominee
- Nature of the nominee's professional activity (type of practice or type of salaried work)
- Organizational memberships (professional and scientific) of the nominee
- 300- to 320-word narrative sketch of the nominee's professional background
- Statement pertaining to the nominee's qualifications for the award
- List of the nominee's significant research achievements
- Concise curriculum vitae (CV) including relevant publications
The AVMA Council on Research will review nominations and select the honoree. An honoree may not be selected in a given year if no nominee for that year meets the criteria for selection.
Nominators of individuals not selected in the year of submission can carry their nomination(s) forward for 1 extra year by contacting us and indicating that they would like to do so and submitting updates (if any) to the nomination packet(s). If there is no response from the nominator, the 2019 nomination will not be carried forward for consideration in 2020.
Questions? Email avma-awardsavma [dot] org
2019 Dr. Rodney Page
2018 Dr. Jörg M Steiner
2017 Dr. Darryl Millis
2015-2016 No Award Given
2014 Dr. Deborah Knapp, IN
2013 Dr. Kenneth Simpson, NY
2012 Dr. Edward Feldman, CA
2011 Dr. Peter Muir, Madison, WI
2010 Dr. George Lees, College Station, TX