AVMA strategic planning
Successful organizations follow a strategic path. The AVMA is working along a strategic course to meet your needs as a member, with members at the center of everything we do. We're committed to matching member needs with those things we do best, providing guidance and support in all aspects of your career. Members lead and drive the AVMA. As an AVMA member, you are our priority.
Our strategic plan outlines five objectives that steer our work:
- Drive lifelong membership in the AVMA. Every veterinarian has a place in the AVMA community. We provide valuable products and services to members at all career and life stages, and our 2019 Strategic Action Plan includes special focus on expanding resources to help students and recent graduates. We’re also working to empower members to engage with each other and with the AVMA, and building on our commitment to wellbeing, diversity, and inclusion.
- Enhance professional development and lifelong learning. We provide unparalleled resources that advance veterinarians’ skills and education, helping AVMA members enjoy rewarding and profitable careers. Our focus is on delivering relevant, practical and fun educational opportunities, and developing partnerships that expand our support for the profession.
- Advance professional policy and practice. Our policies provide guidance and support for veterinary practice, and direction for creating practical resources that help members in the everyday practice of veterinary medicine. AVMA policies are timely, member-focused, and address issues that cross the profession. Current areas of emphasis include antimicrobial stewardship, telehealth, animal welfare education, and humane endings.
- Leverage relationships and world-class advocacy efforts. We advocate alongside our state veterinary medical associations and allied organizations to meet the needs of both individual veterinarians and the veterinary profession. Through the AVMA Political Action Committee, we are focused on better educating AVMA members on key issues and making it easier to engage and be involved.
- Innovate through data management and business intelligence. We are committed to learning more about the wants and needs of AVMA members, partners, and other stakeholders. We’re focused on delivering customized member benefits, and tailored products and services. This means making sure the information we have about AVMA members is current and reflects career and life stages. It also means measuring and better understanding how members engage with the AVMA, in order to improve the services we provide.
The needs of AVMA members and the veterinary profession are continually evolving. The AVMA is evolving, too. AVMA's strategic plan is a living and breathing document that steers our course to ensure we provide maximum support and value to AVMA members.
The AVMA Annual Report is an overview of the AVMA's accomplishments as the leading advocate for veterinarians and veterinary medicine. It reflects AVMA's commitment to protect, promote, and advance the veterinary profession through the strength and diverse perspectives of all AVMA members.