The Global Veterinary Service Award was established initially as the XIIth International Veterinary Congress Prize from funds remaining after the 1934 International Veterinary Congress (former name of the World Veterinary Association [WVA] Congress) to recognize outstanding service by a member of the AVMA who has contributed to international understanding of veterinary medicine. It was renamed in 2019 in honor of the visionary international leadership exemplified by Dr. René Carlson and Dr. Leon Russell, both past presidents of the AVMA and WVA. Dr. Carlson also served two terms as the AVMA Director of International Affairs.
This award is open to any AVMA member, either retired from or currently working in an academic, government, private, or public institution, or in clinical practice. Nominees will be considered based on the total impact their career has had on the global veterinary profession.
Nomination and selection procedures
Self-nominations will not be considered.
Each nomination must include:
- A completed nomination form.
- A cover letter from the nominator, who must be an AVMA member, that includes a brief narrative sketch of the nominee's professional background and a statement pertaining to the nominee's qualifications for this award.
- The narrative sketch and statement must provide examples of the nominee's specific accomplishments that illustrate:
- the impact of his/her career on the veterinary profession both locally and globally;
- his/her recognition as a leading advocate for, and promotor of the value of, international collaborations to advance animal health and welfare, human health, and/or the veterinary profession; and
- his/her service to professional organizations through the provision of expertise, counsel, and a global perspective to improve veterinary education, animal health and welfare, public health, and/or the status of the veterinary profession.
- The nominee's curriculum vitae/resume.
Please note that up to two letters seconding, endorsing or supporting nominations for this award can be submitted for use in evaluating nominees.
The AVMA Committee on International Veterinary Affairs (CIVA) will review nominations and select the recipient at its spring meeting. The AVMA will notify both the nominator and the awardee thereafter, and the winner will be honored at that year's AVMA Annual Convention.
An awardee may not be selected in a given year if no nominee for that year meets the criteria for selection.
RECENT RECIPIENTS: (XIIth International Veterinary Congress Prize prior to 2020)
2019 Dr. Theresa Bernardo, ON, CANADA
2018 Dr. David Swayne, GA
2017 Dr. Andrew Clark, OR
2016 Dr. Craig Carter, KY
2015 Dr. Terry Wollen, CT
2014 Dr. Linda Logan, TX
2013 Dr. Corrie Brown, GA
2012 Dr. Cleon Kimberling, CO
2011 Dr. Paula Cowen, CO
2010 Dr. Gary Vroegindewey, VA
2009 Dr. Karen M. Becker, MD
2008 Dr. Colin F. Burrows, FL
2007 Dr. M.D. (Mo) Salman, CO
2006 Dr. David M. Sherman, MA
2005 Dr. Joe Kornegay, MO
2004 Dr. Bernard C. Easterday, WI
2003 Dr. Albrecht K. Eugster, TX
2002 Dr. Charles M. Barnes, TX
2001 Dr. James A. Roth, IA
2000 Dr. Leon H. Russell, TX