Attend the premier event for veterinary leadership development
The Veterinary Leadership Conference (VLC) is the veterinary profession's premier conference for leadership development. Moving to a virtual format in 2021 to ensure the health and safety of our attendees, VLC will still offer a unique mix of CE sessions, AVMA governance meetings, and networking. Attendees will expand and hone leadership skills while connecting virtually with a diverse network of colleagues from all walks of the veterinary profession. This virtual conference will be a fitting opportunity to learn about Leadership in Times of Change.
AVMA is also excited to support state VMAs and our constituent allied organizations in hosting their leaders in-person during VLC while still maintaining safe guidelines. Hosting an in-person meeting is optional for each state and constituent allied organization, and attending in-person is optional for each leader. To learn more, please reach out to your State VMA Executive Director or constituent allied organization.
VLC 2021 keynote: Achieving lasting success through adaptability
With Dr. Shimi Kang
This year's VLC keynote features Dr. Shimi Kang, who will unpack the science behind adaptability and how it can help you in your personal and professional life. Over the next few weeks and months, our daily lives will continue to change in unexpected and unknown ways. If there was ever a time to become a master of adaptability, it's now.
Join us at the keynote session to learn:
- The science of adaptability and how it leads to lasting success.
- The five key components of adaptability.
- The three ways people are able to adapt, with a live practice of each method.
An award-winning medical doctor, researcher, and expert on the neuroscience of innovation, leadership, and motivation, Kang provides science-based solutions for health, happiness, and achievement in the workplace, classroom, and at home. With 20 years of clinical experience and extensive research in the science that lies behind optimizing human intelligence, Kang provides practical tools to cultivate the key 21st century skills of resilience, connection, creativity, and more.
This will be a must-see keynote event!
VLC equips veterinary professionals at all career stages to take on new challenges and leadership roles that benefit both the individual attendee and the veterinary profession.
- Evolve your leadership skills – Gain new insights, expand your personal toolset, and learn from those who have come before you.
- Connect with a diverse network of leaders from across the veterinary profession.
- Deepen your understanding of how the AVMA works and discover exciting opportunities to get involved!
- Earn 9 hours of live continuing education credit with the opportunity to earn over 20 additional hours through on-demand CE.
Who should attend VLC?
Veterinary Leadership Conference is for veterinarians at every career stage who are interested in deepening their engagement with AVMA and other veterinary organizations. We've expanded our leadership categories to tailor your experience to where you are in your leadership journey:
- Rising Leaders: Attendees with a desire to get involved with veterinary organizations, and little or no prior leadership experience
- Experienced Leaders: Attendees with prior experience as volunteer leaders who want deeper engagement and opportunities to develop new skills
- Presiding Leaders: Attendees who have served as chair or president of a volunteer body, or as CEO or executive director, and want to perfect their leadership skills
VLC benefits everyone!
Attendance at VLC benefits both the individual and the employer. Need help convincing your stakeholders that you MUST attend? Make your case with these helpful tips.
Attending VLC will...
- ✔ Inform me of changes in legislation that can affect the practice of veterinary medicine and policies from the AVMA that can aid veterinarians in daily work life.
- ✔ Provide a forum for me to exchange ideas and attend workshops geared towards developing my leadership skills.
- ✔ Help me obtain high-quality continuing education that can be utilized to fulfill license requirements. (*Check with your state for specific continuing education requirements.)
- ✔ Teach me effective communication techniques to interact more efficiently with clients and coworkers to boost productivity and time management.