Established in November 2005, this award was proposed by the Council on Research to recognize a veterinary researcher on the basis of lifetime achievement in basic, applied, or clinical research. Nominees will be considered on the total impact their career has had on the veterinary or biomedical professions. This award is open to any veterinarian, either retired from or currently working in an academic, government, private, or public institution, or in clinical practice. The honoree will receive $5,000 and a crystal award, which will be presented at the National Veterinary Scholars Symposium.
Nomination and Selection Procedures
No self-nominations will be considered.
Nominations are to include:
- Completed nomination form
- Cover letter from the nominator including all of the following:
- Name of the award
- Name, mailing address, telephone number(s), email address, and college and year of graduation of the nominee
- Nature of the nominee's professional activity (type of practice or type of salaried work)
- Organizational memberships (professional and scientific) of the nominee
- 300- to 320-word narrative sketch of the nominee's professional background
- Statement pertaining to the nominee's qualifications for the award
- Letters of support from three individuals who are familiar with the nominee's work
- A list of significant research achievements
- A concise curriculum vitae (CV) including relevant publications
The AVMA Council on Research reviews the nominations and selects the honoree. An honoree may not be selected in a given year if no nominee for that year meets the criteria for selection.
Nominators of individuals not selected in the year of submission can carry their nomination(s) forward for 1 extra year by contacting us and indicating that they would like to do so and submitting updates (if any) to the nomination packet(s). If there is no response from the nominator, the 2019 nomination will not be carried forward for consideration in 2020.
Questions? Email avma-awardsavma [dot] org.
2019 Dr. C. Wayne McIlwraith
2018 Dr. Barry T. Rouse
2017 Dr. Patricia Ann Conrad
2016 Dr. Susan Stover, CA
2015 Dr. Ian Duncan, WI
2014 Dr. Henry John Baker, AL
2013 Dr.Gustavo Aguirre, PA
2012 Dr. L. Garry Adams, TX
2011 Dr. Donald Patterson, Seattle, WA
2010 Dr. Gerald E. Bisgard, Madison, WI
2009 Dr. Simon Turner, Fort Collins, CO
2008 Dr. Charles C. Capen, Columbus, OH
2007 Dr. John Gorham, Pullman, WA
2006 Dr. Janice M. Miller, Ankeny, IA