Transporting Livestock

​Including Alternative Livestock, Poultry, Aquaculture, and Livestock Kept as Pets

Thousands of livestock animals are transported every day across the U.S. When considering interstate or international travel for your livestock, plan ahead because some preparations may need to start months in advance.

The information contained in this section is supplemental to Transporting Animals - Basic Requirements and Considerations and Basic Timeline for Interstate and International Travel with Animals, which apply to all animal species. In addition, please review the following AVMA resources, which were designed with you and your animals in mind.

Know the requirements and restrictions for transporting animals

Countries, territories, states, and even public modes of transportation have requirements and restrictions on the transport of animals. A certificate of veterinary inspection (CVI) will likely be required by the authorities at destination, and be aware that some destinations may require your animals to be placed in quarantine before departure or upon arrival.

It is your responsibility to comply with the import requirements of the authorities at the destination, and the chart below will help you find the rules and regulations that impact you and your animal(s). In addition, the International Pet and Animal Transportation Association may be able to assist with your animal’s international travel.

What type of travel? Where to find requirements and restrictions?
​By public air, rail, bus, or boat ​Check with the carrier line that you will be using.
​Interstate (travel across state or territory borders within the U.S.) ​Find the requirements of your destination location and the contact information of the animal health authority on the USDA’s webpage, State Regulations for Importing Animals.


Respective state wildlife management agencies should be contacted by individuals transporting farmed aquatic species or certain alternative livestock (farmed cervids, buffalo, etc.)


You may also need to check with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) if intending to transport certain aquaculture species.
​International travel from the U.S. (exporting) ​Contact the consulate or embassy of the country of destination or the country’s animal health authority for information on the importation requirements.


Check the USDA’s Animal and Animal Product Export Information, including if an import permit is required and if a designated port needs to be used.


Aquaculture and commercial fisheries should also check with their state wildlife management agency, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
​International travel into the U.S. (importing) ​For terrestrial livestock, visit the USDA’s webpage on Animal and Animal Product Import Information. Alternative livestock imports may also involve the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and respective state wildlife management agencies.


For aquaculture, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), and the USDA have regulations on imports.


Check for the import requirements for the state of destination on the USDA’s webpage, State Regulations for Importing Animals, as well as the involved state wildlife management agencies depending on the species of livestock, alternative livestock, or commercial aquatic animal you have.