May 01, 2002

 

 In Memoriam - May 1, 2002

Posted on April 15, 2002

 

Your assistance is needed to ensure timely publication of death notices. At your earliest convenience, please report the death of a colleague or relative to the AVMA News Staff via a toll-free phone call at (800) 248-2862, ext 232; e-mail at news@avma.org; or fax at (847) 925-9239.


John B. Carricaburu, 1921-2002

Dr. John Carricaburu on his ranch in the Santa Ynez Valley in 1976.

Former AVMA president, Dr. John B. Carricaburu (COL '44), Goleta, Calif., died Feb. 24, 2002 at the age of 80. He was an AVMA honor roll member.

From 1977 until retirement in 1990, Dr. Carricaburu was chief of veterinary services for the Santa Barbara Humane Society. He also served as part-time county veterinarian from 1958-1989.

He was California's delegate to the AVMA for 13 years, and served three 3-year terms as a member of the AVMA House Advisory Committee. Dr. Carricaburu chaired the HAC in 1967-1968. In 1971, he received the AVMA Award. The California Assembly passed a resolution commending him for his contributions to the profession and to the community, in 1973.

Dr. Carricaburu was installed as president of the AVMA in 1974. In his address to the Houses of Delegates, he talked about societal changes that would require changes in the profession. Among them were the growing need for veterinary specialists and qualified veterinary technicians, and awareness of the increasing public visibility of the profession. Noting that this also made the profession more vulnerable to public scrutiny, Dr. Carricaburu said that veterinarians must practice to the best of their ability and ethically. In particular he cautioned them about the ethical implications of improperly using or distributing veterinary drugs.

Dr. Carricaburu was especially concerned about the overpopulation of dogs and cats, and put a priority on cooperating with humane organizations, animal owners, and government officials to seek solutions. He was AVMA president when the Association moved into its first owned building, in April 1975.

Following graduation Dr. Carricaburu was commissioned into the Army as 1st lieutenant. He served at Fort Lewis, Wash., until 1947, retiring with the rank of captain. Dr. Carricaburu then went on to establish a mixed practice in the Santa Ynez Valley. He was the veterinarian for the U.S. Olympic equestrian team for four years prior to the 1964 Olympics, and had also been an instructor of adult education at the University of California.

Dr. Carricaburu was a member of the Santa Barbara County Cattlemen's Association. He had also been the chief of veterinary services for Rancheros Vistadores, a prominent horse enthusiast group. A member of the Mid-Coast VMA, Dr. Carricaburu served as its president in 1959. He also served on several committees of the California VMA, which honored him with the Veterinarian of the Year Award in 1967. Dr. Carricaburu was named California Polytechnic State University's Distinguished Alumnus the same year.

Dr. Carricaburu is survived by his wife, Peggy; sons, Robert and Bryan; and daughters, Linda, Sally, and Janet.


AVMA member
AVMA honor roll member
Nonmember

John T. Gesin

Dr. Gesin (TEX '68), 58, Austin, Texas, died Jan. 13, 2002. He owned McNeil Crossing Animal Clinic in Austin. Prior to that, Dr. Gesin owned Quail Creek Animal Clinic in Austin, for 28 years. His wife, Susan; a son; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the American Heart Association, 1700 Rutherford Lane, Austin, TX 78754; or American Cancer Society, 2433 Ridgepoint Drive, Austin, TX 78754.


Jay D. Hoop

Dr. Hoop (WSU '43), 86, Fresno, Calif., died Nov. 18, 2001. He worked part-time with the Central California SPCA, practicing at its hospital in Fresno. From 1968-1998 Dr. Hoop was track veterinarian for the California Horse Racing Board. Prior to that, he was in practice with his father, Dr. John R. Hoop (KCV '10), at Fresno Veterinary Hospital. Following graduation Dr. Hoop served in the Army as a captain, until 1947.

He was a member of the AAEP, the California VMA, and the Central California VMA. Dr. Hoop was also a member of the International Group of Specialist Racing Veterinarians. He is survived by two daughters and a son. Memorials may be made to St. Agnes Hospital Cardiac Rehabilitation Fund #285009, P.O. Box 27350, Fresno, CA 93729.


Peyton A. Jones

Dr. Jones (OSU '83), 43, Havre de Grace, Md., died Jan. 30, 2002. From 1994 until his death, he owned an equine practice in Havre de Grace. Dr. Jones served as adjunct assistant professor of medicine in the Department of Clinical Studies at the University of Pennsylvania from 1995-2000. He also conducted clinical research for many years. Early in his career, he was in mixed practice on Maryland's Eastern Shore, and then in equine practice on the Eastern Shore and Baltimore area.

Dr. Jones was a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine. His wife, Gina; a daughter; and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to the Justine and Kevin Jones Education Fund, c/o Tellup, 946 Chesapeake Drive, Havre de Grace, MD 21078.


  Max E. Maier Jr

Dr. Maier (TEX '43), 83, Orange, Texas, died Feb. 9, 2002. Retired since 1986, he practiced in Orange for more than 40 years. During the early part of his career, Dr. Maier shared his practice with his father, Dr. Max E. Maier Sr. He also served as a state of Louisiana veterinarian for more than 10 years. Dr. Maier was a member of the Texas VMA.


  Larry T. Mallicoat

Dr. Mallicoat (ISU '66), 65, Moline, Ill., died Feb. 28, 2002. An equine practitioner, he was employed by the state of Illinois as senior veterinarian at Fairmount Park in Collinsville, Ill. Prior to that, Dr. Mallicoat practiced sports medicine at the Quad City Downs racetrack. A member of the AAEP, he had served on the legislative committee. Dr. Mallicoat was a past president of the Illinois Arabian Horse Association. He was also a member of the Quad City Veterinary Association.


James C. McMillin

Dr. McMillin (COL '50), 80, Lamar, Colo., died Jan. 24, 2002. Following graduation he established a large animal practice in Buhl, Idaho. In 1967, Dr. McMillin moved back to Lamar to help run the family Hereford ranch.

He was a past president of the Idaho VMA and a member of the Colorado VMA. Dr. McMillin was a life member of the Bent-Prowers Cattle and Horse Growers Association, serving as director from 1969-1987 and as president from 1981-1982. He was also a charter member of the National Cattlemen's Association and a life member of the Colorado Cattlemen's Association.

Dr. McMillin was director and past president of the Lamar Canal and Irrigation Company, and as director of the First National Bank in Lamar from 1971-1988.

His wife, Mary; a son; a daughter; and a stepdaughter survive him. Memorials may be made to Colorado Boys Ranch, Box 681, La Junta, CO 81050.


John L. Prouty

Dr. Prouty (MIN '55), 76, Lime Ridge, Wis., died Jan. 29, 2002. Retired, he had owned a large animal practice in Lime Ridge from 1955-1990. Dr. Prouty is survived by his wife, Jane; two sons, and a daughter.


Fred K. Soifer

Dr. Soifer (AUB '58), 70, Houston, died March 1, 2002. From 1960 until retirement in 2000, he practiced small animal medicine in Houston. Dr. Soifer was also the veterinarian for the Houston Zoo from 1967-1983. He served as a consultant for animal care at AstroWorld in Houston and Sea Arama in Galveston, Texas. During retirement, Dr. Soifer worked with the Texas Wildlife Rehabilitation Coalition.

He was appointed to the Texas Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners twice, serving as president of the board in 1990. Dr. Soifer was a past president of the Sierra VMA, the Texas VMA, the American Association of Zoo Veterinarians, and the Harris County VMA. He was a board member of the Association of Avian Veterinarians and the Houston Zoological Society. In 1982, Dr. Soifer was the Texas VMA's Companion Animal Practitioner of the Year. He received the President's Award from the Harris County VMA in 1984. The AAHA honored him with the Charlie Bild Companion Animal Veterinarian of the Year Award in 1990.

Dr. Soifer's wife, Fanet, and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society, 6301 Richmond, Houston, TX 77057; or the Texas Wildlife Rehabilitation Coalition, 595 Wycliffe, Houston, TX 77079.


Robert L. Stansbury

Dr. Stansbury (OSU '44), 84, Long Beach, Calif., died Dec. 15, 2001. Retired, he was a feline practitioner. Dr. Stansbury established The Cat Clinic in Pasadena, Calif., in 1955. Earlier in his career, he owned Arroyo Animal Hospital in Pasadena and also practiced in Beverly Hills, Calif.

An author of numerous articles and books on feline health care, Dr. Stansbury did research for cat food companies on the safety of cat food. He was an Army veteran, serving as a captain during the Korean War from 1952-1954. Dr. Stansbury's father, Dr. James E. Stansbury, and his brother, Dr. James L. Stansbury, had also practiced veterinary medicine in Ohio.

He is survived by his wife, Marilyn, and a daughter. Memorials may be made to Braille Institute, 741 N. Vermont Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90029.


  George Stein

Dr. Stein (COR '67), 62, Parsonsburg, Md., died Nov. 20, 2001. Retired, he continued to teach as adjunct professor of poultry science and microbiology at the University of Maryland. Prior to that, Dr. Stein was poultry diagnostician at the Maryland Department of Agriculture.

A contributor to the 8th edition of the Merck Veterinary Manual, Dr. Stein played an important role in saving the Pakistani poultry industry from the adeno virus that had contaminated their vaccine cultures in 1989.


Maxie J. Turner

Dr. Turner (AUB '74), 59, Decatur, Ala., died Feb. 27, 2002. He practiced equine medicine for more than 26 years. A member of the Alabama VMA, Dr. Turner had served on its executive board. He was the founder and a past president of the Alabama Equine Practitioners Association. Dr. Turner had also served as president of the North Alabama VMA.

He was an Army veteran. Dr. Turner's wife, Judy, and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to Auburn University Foundation for Large Animal Teaching Hospital Fund, 317 S. College St., Auburn, AL 36849.