AVMA honor roll member
Douglas E. Amy
Dr. Amy (MSU ’76), 58, Longmont, Colo., died March 11, 2012. A small animal veterinarian, he moved to Colorado in 1979 and practiced in the Golden and Arvada areas. Dr. Amy used herbal and acupuncture remedies for pain relief in his practice. He was active with several animal groups and humane societies, including the Denver Mounted Police and the Dumb Friends League. Early in his career, Dr. Amy worked in Yale, Mich. He is survived by his life partner, Annie Colvin; three daughters; two stepsons; a stepdaughter; and Colvin’s daughter and son. Memorials may be made to the American Holistic VMA, P.O. Box 630, Abingdon, MD 21009.
John B. Amyx
Dr. Amyx (ROS ’04), 34, Winchester, Ky., died Feb. 24, 2012. He practiced equine medicine at Park Equine Hospital in Lexington, Ky. Dr. Amyx’s wife, Jessica, and a son survive him.
Richard E. Bailey
Dr. Bailey (OKL ’65), 83, Tulsa, Okla., died April 1, 2012. He founded Southwest Veterinary Hospital in Tulsa, practicing there until retirement in 1990. Dr. Bailey initially practiced mixed animal medicine, focusing later on small animals. He is survived by two sons. One son, Dr. Keith A. Bailey (OSU ’84), joined Dr. Bailey in practice in 1985. His grandson, David Bailey, is a fourth-year veterinary student at Oklahoma State University.
Howard F. Carroll
Dr. Carroll (WSU ’38), 96, Millbrae, Calif., died March 21, 2012. A small animal practitioner, he founded Marina Pet Hospital in San Francisco in 1939, practicing there until retirement in 1969. Dr. Carroll then earned a master’s in veterinary dermatology from the University of California-Davis in 1970 and practiced for a few years in San Mateo, Calif. He was a past president of the American Animal Hospital Association and an honorary life member of the Veterinary Dermatology Society. Dr. Carroll was a distinguished life member and a past continuing education director of the California VMA and a charter member and a past secretary-treasurer of the San Francisco VMA. He was also a charter member and a past president of the California State Racing Pigeon Organization.
Dr. Carroll served in the Army Veterinary Corps during World War II, retiring as a major. Active in civic life, he was a member of the Rotary Club, Lions Club, and Shriners. Dr. Carroll’s two sons and two daughters survive him. One of his sons, Dr. David C. Carroll (CAL ’76), owns East Lake Animal Clinic, a small animal practice in Watsonville, Calif. Dr. Carroll’s granddaughter, Dr. Monika Connally (COL ’96), practices feline medicine at Feline Medical Center in Pleasanton, Calif.
John W. Dantzler
Dr. Dantzler (AUB ’51), 88, Orangeburg, S.C., died March 26, 2012. A mixed animal veterinarian, he owned a practice in Orangeburg from 1951-2000. Dr. Dantzler was also a health officer for the city of Orangeburg from 1953-1978 and served on what is now known as the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control. He instituted a restaurant inspection program and a meat inspection program that later became a model for the state.
A past president of the South Carolina Association of Veterinarians, Dr. Dantzler was named Veterinarian of the Year in 1974. He was a member of the Orangeburg Rotary Club and was a Paul Harris Fellow. Dr. Dantzler served in the Army during World War II in the European theater, attaining the rank of 1st lieutenant. He is survived by his wife, Marcia; two daughters; a son; and three stepdaughters. Memorials may be made to The Methodist Oaks, P.O. Box 9005, Orangeburg, SC 29116.
Robert R. Dappen
Dr. Dappen (ISU ’50), 93, Story City, Iowa, died March 1, 2012. He worked 20 years in meat inspection for the federal government prior to retirement. Earlier in his career, Dr. Dappen practiced mixed animal medicine in Manning, Iowa, for 30 years. He was a lifetime member of the National Association of Federal Veterinarians. He received the Iowa VMA Veterinarian of the Year Award in 1955 and the IVMA President’s Award in 2004. Dr. Dappen was a Navy veteran of World War II. He was awarded seven Bronze Stars and two Presidential Unit Citations for his service. Dr. Dappen is survived by his wife, Sara Anne, and two sons.
Stacy L. Davis
Dr. Davis (OSU ’00), 39, Bergholz, Ohio, died May 2, 2012. She practiced at Carrollton Animal Hospital in Carrollton, Ohio. Dr. Davis was active with the 4-H Club. Her husband, Thomas M. Costlow; a son; and a daughter survive her. Memorials in her name may be made to the Triple Negative Breast Cancer Foundation, 2595 County Road 60, Bergholz, OH 43908.
Ronald L. Dawe
Dr. Dawe (OSU ’75), 66, Ocala, Fla., died Feb. 18, 2012. An equine veterinarian, he began his career at Apex Veterinary Hospital in Apex, N.C. Dr. Dawe later practiced in Georgia, New Jersey, Kentucky, Illinois, Texas, and Florida. He focused on acupuncture, acupressure, and chiropractic and on balance techniques. Dr. Dawe was a member of the American Association of Equine Practitioners, American Veterinary Chiropractic Association, International Veterinary Acupuncture Society, Florida Association of Equine Practitioners, Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association, and Florida Thoroughbred Breeders’ and Owners’ Association. His wife, Ellen; a daughter; and two sons survive him. Memorials to help offset medical and other emergency expenses may be sent to Mrs. Ellen Dawe, 584 N.E. 59th St., Ocala, FL 34479.
Richard H. Detwiler
Dr. Detwiler (UP ’48), 86, Reading, Pa., died Jan. 7, 2012. A mixed animal veterinarian, he began his career practicing with his father, Dr. Russell S. Detwiler (UP ’15), in Reading. From 1950-1952, Dr. Detwiler served in the Army Veterinary Corps, attaining the rank of captain. He then returned to practice in Reading, taking over Detwiler Veterinary Clinic when his father died in 1986. Dr. Detwiler was a third-generation veterinarian—his grandfather, Dr. Charles H. Detwiler, and great-uncle, Dr. David C. Detwiler, also being veterinarians.
He was a past president of the American Veterinary Medical History Society and helped establish what is now known as the Eastern Veterinary Historical Society. Dr. Detwiler was also a past president of the Schuylkill Valley VMA and a member of the American Animal Hospital Association. He served as Pennsylvania’s alternate delegate to the AVMA House of Delegates from 1987-2000 and was delegate from 2000-2002. Dr. Detwiler received several honors, including the Pennsylvania VMA Distinguished Veterinarian Award in 1994, PVMA Lifetime Achievement Award in 2002, and Pennsylvania Veterinary Foundation Cornerstone Service Award in 2011. He was a 50-year member of several Masonic bodies.
Dr. Detwiler is survived by his wife, Grace, and three daughters. His nephew, Dr. Stephen R. LeVan (UP ’77), is a mixed animal veterinarian in Oley, Pa. Memorials may be made to the Pennsylvania Veterinary Foundation, 8574 Paxton St., Hummelstown, PA 17036; American Veterinary Medical Foundation, Department 20-1122, P.O. Box 5940, Carol Stream, IL 60197; or Trinity Lutheran Church, 527 Washington St., Reading, PA 19601.
Erland P. Elefson
Dr. Elefson (WSU ’52), 82, Arlington, Wash., died April 12, 2012. Prior to retirement, he practiced mixed animal medicine in Washington state at Arlington and Stanwood. Dr. Elefson was also involved with a poultry clinic, a milking machine¬¬–pipeline project, and an embryo transplant program. He was a veteran of the Air Force. Dr. Elefson’s wife, Geri; a daughter; and two sons survive him. His brother, Dr. E. Eugene Elefson (WSU ’63), is a mixed animal veterinarian in Washington state. Memorials may be made to Our Saviour’s Lutheran Church, 615 E. Highland Drive, Arlington, WA 98223; or Washington State University, College of Veterinary Medicine, School for Global Animal Health, P.O. Box 647010, Pullman, WA 99164.
Robert J. Fallon
Dr. Fallon (MON ’58), 83, Lunenburg, Mass., died March 21, 2012. A graduate of the University of Montreal School of Veterinary Medicine, he established Fallon Animal Clinic in Lunenburg in 1963, practicing there until his retirement. Dr. Fallon was a life member of the Massachusetts VMA. He served as a director of the Finance Committee of the Fidelity Cooperative Bank from 1977-2001. Dr. Fallon’s wife, Madeleine; a son; and two daughters survive him. His son, Dr. Michael J. Fallon (TUF ’89), practices at Fallon Animal Clinic. Memorials toward a scholarship for a student who wants to become either a veterinarian or a veterinary technician may be made to the Dr. Robert J. Fallon Scholarship Fund, 14 Manning Ave., Suite 500, Leominster, MA 01453.
John D. Foote
Dr. Foote (KSU ’53), 82, Bartlesville, Okla., died March 6, 2012. Following graduation, he served in the Air Force during the Korean War and then established Dewey Animal Clinic in Dewey, Okla., where he practiced mixed animal medicine until retirement. Dr. Foote was active with several organizations, including the National FFA Organization, 4-H Club, and Boys and Girls Club. His wife, Audrey; three daughters; and a son survive him. Memorials toward a scholarship may be made (with the memo line of the check notated in Dr. Foote’s name) to Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Attn: Developmental Alumni, 103 Trotter Hall, Manhattan, KS 66506; or St. Luke’s Episcopal Church (with memo line of the check notated in Dr. Foote’s name), 210 E. 9th St., Bartlesville, OK 74003.
Dr. Gray (TEX ’43), 90, New Braunfels, Texas, died Jan. 20, 2012. He owned a practice in McAllen, Texas, for several years, initially practicing mixed animal medicine and later focusing on small animals. Dr. Gray was a member of the Texas and Rio Grande Valley VMAs and served on the board of the Mission Regional Medical Center in Mission, Texas, for 25 years. He was also a member of the Kiwanis Club. Dr. Gray served in the Army Veterinary Corps during World War II and the Korean War. His wife, Sharon; two daughters; three sons; a stepson; and a stepdaughter survive him. Dr. Gray’s son, Dr. Bruce E. Gray (TEX ’71), is a retired small animal practitioner in Mission. Memorials may be made to Hope Hospice, 611 N. Walnut Ave., New Braunfels, TX 78130; or Mission First United Methodist Church, 1101 Doherty Ave., Mission, TX 78572.
Theodore N. Hoch
Dr. Hoch (COR ’58), 80, Port St. Lucie, Fla., died March 20, 2012. He practiced small animal medicine for 25 years in Yorktown Heights, N.Y., prior to retirement in 2004. Earlier in his career, Dr. Hoch practiced at Morris Animal Hospital in Jamaica, N.Y., and Roslyn Animal Hospital in Roslyn, N.Y. He was a longtime member of the Rotary Club and was a Paul Harris Fellow. Dr. Hoch was also a member of Guiding Eyes for the Blind and helped take care of animals at Creature Safe Place in Port St. Lucie. His wife, Janet, and two sons survive him. Memorials may be made to Creature Safe Place, 4500 McCarthy Road, Fort Pierce, FL 34945.
Robert A. Hoffman
Dr. Robert A. Hoffman (COL ’88), 55, Monterey, Calif., died Nov. 6, 2011.
Raymond E. Houk
Dr. Houk (OSU ’54), 83, Hamilton, Ohio, died March 26, 2012. He practiced small animal medicine at Bay Road Animal Hospital in Sarasota, Fla., until June 2011. Earlier in his career, Dr. Houk owned Mount Logan Animal Hospital in Chillicothe, Ohio; a practice in Fairfield, Ohio; and Lake Shore Animal Hospital in Chicago. He was a member of the American Animal Hospital Association and the Ohio, Florida, and Southwest Florida VMAs. Dr. Houk was named Ohio Veterinarian of the Year in 1971 and received an OVMA Meritorious Service Award in 1985.
Dr. Houk’s wife, Patricia; a daughter; three sons; two stepsons; and a stepdaughter survive him. Memorials may be made to The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Gift Processing, 1480 W. Lane Ave., Columbus, OH 43221.
Raymond T. Jackson
Dr. Jackson (COL ’57), 80, West Springfield, Mass., died April 15, 2012. A small animal practitioner, he owned West Springfield Animal Hospital prior to retirement in 1998. Dr. Jackson began his career working for the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in Springfield, Mass. He went on to co-establish the Boston Road Animal Hospital in Springfield, Mass., and later was a partner at the Agawam Animal Hospital in Agawam, Mass. Dr. Jackson served on the West Springfield Board of Health. His wife, Joan; two sons; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to Hospice Life Care of Holyoke, 113 Hampden St., Holyoke, MA 01040; or WGBY-Channel 57, 44 Hampden St., Springfield, MA 01103.
Margaret A. Knoll
Dr. Knoll (VMR ’86), 52, Westminster, Md., died April 14, 2012. A small animal veterinarian, she practiced at what is now known as Airpark Animal Hospital in Westminster since 1995. Dr. Knoll also served as an attending veterinarian/research project consultant at the National Institutes of Health in Baltimore; conducted research on animal behavior at Towson University in Towson, Md.; and consulted in and promoted animal behavioral medicine. Earlier in her career, she practiced at Lewis Veterinary Hospital in Columbia, Md., and Hillside Veterinary Hospital in Charles Town, W.Va. Dr. Knoll was a member of the American Animal Hospital Association, American Holistic VMA, Maryland VMA, and Maryland Animal Health Emergency Volunteer Veterinary Corps.
Hugo J. Nykamp
Dr. Nykamp (COR ’54), 86, Woodlake, N.C., died April 29, 2012. He practiced small animal medicine for more than 35 years in New Jersey at Pompton Plains and Wayne, also volunteering at local shelters and township clinics. Dr. Nykamp raised and showed Airedale Terriers and Norwich Terriers. A lifetime member of the Airedale Terrier Club, he served as its delegate to the American Kennel Club. Dr. Nykamp was an Army veteran of World War II and the Korean War. He was a member of the Vass Lions Club. Dr. Nykamp is survived by his wife, Joanne; a son; and two daughters. Memorials may be made to American Parkinson Disease Association, 135 Parkinson Ave., Staten Island, NY 10305; or Our Saviour Lutheran Church, 1517 Luther Way, Southern Pines, NC 28387.
David L. Pence
Dr. Pence (ISU ’76), 64, Ankeny, Iowa, died May 12, 2012. From 2001 until retirement in 2007, he worked for the Department of Agriculture as a veterinary medical officer in Ankeny. Prior to that, Dr. Pence practiced mixed animal medicine throughout eastern Iowa for 25 years. During that time, he also served nine years as state veterinarian at the Dubuque Greyhound Park and did relief work across the state. Dr. Pence was a member of the Iowa VMA, American Association of Swine Veterinarians, and American Association of Bovine Practitioners. He and his wife, Cheryl, were recently awarded the Red Cross Heroes of the Heartland Award for their service to others. Dr. Pence was a veteran of the Army Veterinary Corps. He is survived by his wife and two daughters. Dr. Pence’s brother, Dr. Mel E. Pence (ISU ’74), is a bovine practitioner in Arizona. Memorials toward educational scholarships may be made to the David L. Pence Memorial Fund, c/o Cheryl Pence, 2013 N.E. Innsbruck Drive, Ankeny, IA 50021.
Kenneth L. Reinertson
Dr. Reinertson (ISU ’43), 95, Marshalltown, Iowa, died April 26, 2012. A mixed animal veterinarian, he practiced in Ocheyedan, Iowa, from 1946 until retirement in the mid-1980s. Earlier in his career, Dr. Reinertson worked in Wahoo, Neb. He was active with the Boy Scouts and the Ocheyedan Fire Department and served on the board of Ocheyedan Community Schools for several years. Dr. Reinertson’s three sons and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to Ocheyedan Boy Scouts, c/o Bob Truckenmiller, Ocheyedan, IA 51354.
Harold B. Rinker
Dr. Rinker (OKL ’58), 78, West Fork, Ark., died Jan. 2, 2012. During his career, he owned mixed animal practices in Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas; served as a professor at Oklahoma State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine; and was a public health veterinarian for the Department of Agriculture. Dr. Rinker also provided veterinary services on the Hopi and Navajo reservations in Arizona and New Mexico. He was a founding member and a past president of the Academy of Veterinary Consultants and a member of the Arkansas VMA. In April, the AVC honored Dr. Rinker posthumously with its Outstanding Service Award in recognition of his commitment and contributions to the beef cattle industry and the veterinary profession. He was a leader in feedlot health.
Dr. Rinker volunteered with the Washington Regional Hospice program in Arkansas for more than 20 years, and, as an active member of Alcoholics Anonymous, consulted with many people over almost 40 years. Dr. Rinker is survived by his wife, Jan; three daughters; and two sons. Memorials may be made to the Willard Walker Hospice Home, 325 E. Longview Drive, Fayetteville, AR 72703.
Leonard W. Scarr
Dr. Scarr (MIN ’55), 82, Madison, Wis., died April 26, 2012. A small animal practitioner, he founded Scarr Animal Hospital in Portsmouth, Va., and practiced there for 40 years. Earlier in his career, Dr. Scarr worked for the state of Minnesota in the brucellosis eradication program. He volunteered with the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. An avid amateur astronomer, Dr. Scarr was a past president of the Astronomical Society of Tidewater. His wife, Paula; three sons; and a daughter survive him.
Robert M. Wempe
Dr. Wempe (MIN ’56), 89, Mitchell, S.D., died April 10, 2012. From 1956 until retirement in 1987, he practiced food animal medicine in the Parkston area of South Dakota. In 2001, Dr. Wempe was one of 14 Wempe family veterinarians recognized by the Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine for the family’s dedication and devotion to advancing the profession of veterinary medicine. He served in the Army Air Corps during World War II and was a member of the American Legion. Dr. Wempe was a past member of the Parkston School Board. He is survived by his wife, Genevieve; two daughters; and five sons. Two sons, Drs. John M. Wempe (KSU ’80) and James M. Wempe (ISU ’80), are veterinarians in Colorado and Washington state, respectively. Memorials may be made to Alzheimer’s Association, P.O. Box 96011, Washington, DC 20090; or Asercare Hospice, S. Westport Ave., Suite B, Sioux Falls, SD 57106.
James C. Wilson
Dr. Wilson (MO ’59), 76, Ripley, Tenn., died Dec. 16, 2011. He was a mixed animal practitioner.
Frank W. Zak
Dr. Zak (MID ’42), 94, Lynn, Mass., died March 12, 2012. A mixed animal practitioner, he owned what was known as Zak Animal Hospital in Lynn prior to retirement. Dr. Zak was a past president of the Massachusetts VMA and the Veterinary Association of the North Shore. He also served as a trustee for the Veterinary Scholarship Trust of New England. Dr. Zak received the 1976 Distinguished Service Award from the MVMA. He served as a food inspector in the Army during World War II. Dr. Zak’s wife, Leocadia; a son; and two daughters survive him. His brother-in-law, Dr. Mitchell T. Wolak (KSU ’63 ), is a small animal veterinarian in Salem, Mass. Memorials may be made to the Dr. Frank Zak Award, Veterinary Scholarship Trust of New England, P.O. Box 3221, North Attleboro, MA 02761.
Leo A. Zehrer
Dr. Zehrer (MIN ’53), 87, Brooten, Minn., died March 27, 2012. Prior to retirement, he served as a veterinarian with the Minnesota Board of Animal Health for almost 20 years. Earlier in his career, Dr. Zehrer practiced large animal medicine in Brooten for 20 years. He was a member of the Minnesota and West Central VMAs. While in veterinary college, Dr. Zehrer served as president of the student chapter of the AVMA and received the Leadership Award from the Auxiliary to the AVMA. Active in civic life, he was a member of the Brooten Volunteer Fire Department, served as chairman of the Brooten School Board for several years, and was active with the National FFA Organization and 4-H Club. Dr. Zehrer was a veteran of the Army Air Force and a member of the American Legion. He is survived by his wife, Mary, and six daughters. Dr. Zehrer’s nephew, Dr. Darrell F. Zehrer (MIN ’81), is a veterinarian in Rogers, Minn. Memorials may be made to the Minnesota Veterinary Historical Museum, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota, 1365 Gortner Ave., St. Paul, MN 55108.
For an obituary to be published, JAVMA must be notified
within six months of the veterinarian’s date
of death via a toll-free phone call at
(800) 248-2862, Ext. 6754;
or fax at (847) 925-9329.