November 15, 2010

 

 Obituaries

 
 
posted November 1, 2010
 

AVMA Honor Roll Member

AVMA Member

Nonmember


John H. Benson

Dr. Benson (UP '48), 91, Frankfort, Ill., died June 27, 2010. He was a retired Army colonel who served in Korea, Germany, and Vietnam. Dr. Benson is survived by his wife, Mary Elizabeth, and three stepsons. Memorials may be made to the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery Memorial Squad, 20953 W. Hoff Road, Elwood, IL 60421.

John E. Busch

Dr. Busch (MIN '51), 92, Chokio, Minn., died July 25, 2010. A mixed animal practitioner, he practiced in Chokio before retiring in 1989. Dr. Busch also served as veterinarian for the Stevens County Fair. Active in civic life, he was a member of the Chokio Volunteer Fire Department and Stevens County Historical Society. Dr. Busch was an Army veteran of World War II, attaining the rank of first lieutenant. His wife, Helen; four sons; and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to Stevens County Historical Society, 116 W. 6th St., Morris, MN 56267; or Chokio Fire Department, P.O. Box 36, Chokio, MN 56221.

John E. Crawley

Dr. Crawley (ISU '55), 80, Palmyra, Wis., died Aug. 25, 2010. Prior to retirement in 2005, he practiced mixed animal medicine in Palmyra. Dr. Crawley was a member of the American Association of Bovine Practitioners and the Wisconsin and Waukesha VMAs. He served in the Air Force from 1955-1957, attaining the rank of major. Active in civic life, Dr. Crawley was a past president of the Palymra-Eagle Area School District Board and a member of the Kiwanis Club. He is survived by his wife, Olive; three sons; and five daughters. Memorials in his name may be made to the Palmyra-Eagle Area School District Memorial Foundation, 123 Burr Oak St., Palmyra, WI 53156; St. Mary's Catholic Church, 919 W. Main St., Palmyra, WI 53156; or The Fairhaven Foundation, 435 W. Starin Road, Whitewater, WI 53190.

Edward N. Eames

Dr. Eames (MSU '56), 85, Portsmouth, N.H., died July 13, 2010. He practiced small animal medicine at the Animal Medical Center in Portsmouth for 30 years. Dr. Eames was a member of the New Hampshire, Maine, and Massachusetts VMAs. He served on the board of directors of the New Hampshire Easter Seals Association and was past director of the New Hampshire Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Active in civic life, Dr. Eames was also a past director of the Portsmouth Chamber of Commerce, Kiwanis Club of Portsmouth, and Portsmouth Rehabilitation Center. In 1977, Michigan State University honored him with a Distinguished Alumnus Award. Dr. Eames' wife, Priscilla; two daughters; and two sons survive him. Memorials may be made to the New Hampshire SPCA, P.O. Box 196, Stratham, NH 03885.

Michael J. House

Dr. House (OKL '61), 73, Ayden, N.C., died Aug. 13, 2010. A mixed animal practitioner, he founded the Animal Hospital of Pitt County in Greenville, N.C., in the mid-1970s. Earlier in his career, Dr. House practiced in Wilson, N.C., and at the Bateman Animal Clinic in Greenville. He was a veteran of the Army. Active in civic life, Dr. House was past mayor of Ayden, served on the Foundation Board of Pitt Community College, and was a member of the Greenville Rotary Club. He is survived by his wife, Melody; a son; a daughter; two stepsons; and a stepdaughter. Memorials may be made to the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, 200 Petfinder Lane, Raleigh, NC 27603.

Charles G. McAdams

Dr. McAdams (AUB '62), 76, Houston, died Aug. 21, 2010. A small animal practitioner, he owned Feliciana Veterinary Hospital in Jackson, La. Dr. McAdams is survived by his wife, Patricia; two daughters; and three stepchildren. Memorials may be made to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, 501 St. Jude Place, Memphis, TN 38105; or Our Lady of Perpetual Help Chapel, 3147 Church St., Jackson, LA 70748.

Margaret A. Mercer

Dr. Mercer (GA '99), 43, Douglasville, Ga., died Aug. 1, 2010. A small animal practitioner, she founded the Douglas County Animal Hospital in Douglasville in 2002. Prior to that, Dr. Mercer practiced at Centerville Animal Hospital in Snellville, Ga. Earlier this year, she was named one of the top 10 women of the year by the American Business Women's Association. Dr. Mercer was a Navy veteran of the first Gulf War. She is survived by her husband, Steve Magsig. Memorials may be made to the Dr. Maggie Ann Mercer Memorial Fund, c/o Hightower's Memorial Chapel, 7034 West Broad St., Douglasville, GA 30134.

Thomas N. Phillips

Dr. Phillips (IL '55), 79, Aurora, Ill., died July 30, 2010. Retired since 2004, he founded the Illinois Equine Hospital and Clinic in Naperville, Ill., in 1965. Earlier in his career, Dr. Phillips was a member of the veterinary faculty at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. In 2010, he was inducted into the International Equine Veterinarians Hall of Fame. Dr. Phillips' wife, Joyce; a son; and three daughters survive him. Memorials in his name toward student scholarships may be made to the University of Illinois Foundation, College of Veterinary Medicine, Office of Advancement, 2001 S. Lincoln Ave., Urbana, IL 61802.

James L. Spencer

Dr. Spencer (MSU '76), 57, Star Tannery, Va., died May 11, 2010. Prior to retirement in 2006, he owned a small animal practice in Arlington, Va. Dr. Spencer is survived by his life partner, John Marlette. Memorials may be made to Blue Ridge Center for Therapeutic Horsemanship, c/o John Marlette, 241 Rolling Rock Road, Star Tannery, VA 22654.

James E. Stark

Dr. Stark (ISU '70), 64, Dubuque, Iowa, died Aug. 14, 2010. A small animal practitioner, he owned Colonial Terrace Animal Hospital in Dubuque for 38 years. Dr. Stark is survived by his wife, Linda; a daughter; and three sons. Memorials toward the James Stark Memorial Fund for Veterinary Students in Companion Animal and Camelid Medicine may be sent to 1097 Mela Drive, Dubuque, IA 52003.

Thomas A. Stephenson

Dr. Stephenson (ISU '55), 92, Holden, Utah, died Sept. 4, 2010. He founded Alosta Animal Hospital in Glendora, Calif., where he practiced for 35 years. Earlier in his career, Dr. Stephenson practiced in Yuba City, Calif. He was a veteran of the Army. Active in civic life, Dr. Stephenson was a member of the Kiwanis Club and served on the Holden Town Board. His wife, Berniece, and four daughters survive him. Memorials in his name may be made to the Perpetual Education Fund, 50 E. North Temple St., Room 1521, Salt Lake City, UT 84150.

 
Your assistance is needed
to ensure timely publication of obituaries. Please report the death of a colleague or relative promptly to the AVMA News Staff via a toll-free phone call at (800) 248-2862, Ext. 6754; email; or fax at (847) 925-9329.
 
Memorial contributions to the American Veterinary Medical Foundation are gratefully accepted. When making such contributions, please indicate the name and address of the individual who should receive notification of your donation. Contact: AVMF, Department 20-1122, P.O. Box 5940, Carol Stream, IL 60197-5940 www.avmf.org