AVMA Honor Roll Member
William K. Best
Dr. Best (GA '64), 72, Monroe, N.C., died May 29, 2009. He practiced in Monroe for 29 years. Dr. Best is survived by his wife, Suzzane; two sons; and a daughter. Memorials may be made to The Heritage Endowment Fund, First Presbyterian Church, 302 E. Windsor St., Monroe, NC 28112.
Bernard S. Cannon
Dr. Cannon (WSU '64), 69, Winnemucca, Nev., died July 12, 2009. He owned a mixed animal practice in Winnemucca. Dr. Cannon served on the Nevada State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners and the Nevada State Board of Health. He chaired the Nevada Farm Agency and was a member of the American Association of Bovine Practitioners. Dr. Cannon's wife, Betty, and two sons survive him. Memorials may be made to Cancer Research Foundation, c/o Albertson's Funeral Home, 47 W. First, Winnemucca, NV 89445.
Charles B. Dibbell
Dr. Dibbell (OSU '38), 94, St. Petersburg, Fla., died April 17, 2009. Prior to retirement in 1981, he owned West Coast Animal Hospital in St. Petersburg. Dr. Dibbell was a member of the American Animal Hospital Association and Florida VMA and was a past president of the Pinellas County VMS.
Nels M. Konnerup
Dr. Konnerup (WSU '42), 92, Camano Island, Wash., died July 21, 2009. A livestock disease specialist, he retired in the early 1980s from the United States Agency for International Development in Washington, D.C. Following graduation, Dr. Konnerup practiced in Bellingham, Wash. He then worked as a veterinary medical officer for the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration. In 1957, Dr. Konnerup was appointed veterinary analyst for economic research at the Department of Agriculture in Washington, D.C. Prior to joining USAID in 1966, he served as acting chief of the Health Data Department at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research.
Dr. Konnerup was a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine and past chair of the United States Livestock Sanitary Association's Foreign Animal Diseases Committee. In 1969, he received the XII International Veterinary Congress Prize for his contributions to the international advancement of veterinary medical science. Dr. Konnerup's two sons and two daughters survive him.
Harry W. Kuller
Dr. Kuller (CAL '57), 83, Tucson, Ariz., died Aug. 12, 2009. He owned Arizona Small Animal Clinic in Tucson for 32 years. During his career, Dr. Kuller took a yearlong sabbatical, and, in conjunction with the University of Arizona and the United States Army Biological Laboratories, participated in a study of valley fever and its effect on animals. He was a member of the Arizona VMA.
Dr. Kuller served in the Navy during World War II. He is survived by two daughters.
Robert F. Malsby Jr.
Dr. Malsby (GA '69), 65, Marietta, Ga., died April 10, 2009. The owner of Suburban Veterinary Clinic, a small animal practice in Kennesaw, Ga., he practiced in Cobb County for 38 years. Earlier in his career, Dr. Malsby worked for the U.S. Department of Agriculture in the mastitis program. He was a founding member and served on the board of directors of the Cobb County Veterinary Society, Cobb Emergency Veterinary Clinic, and Cherokee Emergency Veterinary Clinic.
Dr. Malsby is survived by his wife, Carol, and two sons. Memorials may be made to the Cobb Emergency Veterinary Clinic—Stray Fund, 630 Cobb Parkway N., Marietta, GA 30062.
Lynn S. McGrew
Dr. McGrew (OSU '69), 74, Norwich, Vt., died March 31, 2009. Prior to retirement in 1999, he owned Norwich Veterinary Clinic, a mixed animal practice. Dr. McGrew was a member of the Vermont VMA and served on its Ethics Committee. Active in civic life, he chaired the Norwich Sewer Study Committee and was a member of the town's Planning Commission. Dr. McGrew served in the Army from 1956-1958. His wife, Susan, and two sons survive him. Dr. McGrew's cousin, Dr. David C. McGrew (OSU '72), is a veterinarian in Oxford, Ohio. Memorials may be made to The Ohio State University, College of Veterinary Medicine, Development Office, 1900 Coffey Road, Columbus, OH 43210.
John L. Neely
Dr. Neely (ISU '49), 84, Scottsdale, Ariz., died Aug. 3, 2009. He served as veterinarian for the Arizona Department of Racing for 30 years. Prior to that, Dr. Neely practiced in Newman Grove, Neb., focusing on large animal medicine. He was a member of the Arizona VMA. Dr. Neely served as a second lieutenant in the Army during World War II. He was a member of the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars. Dr. Neely is survived by two daughters and a son. Memorials may be made to the Hospice of the Valley, 1510 E. Flower St., Phoenix, AZ 85014.
Seeley M. Phillips
Dr. Phillips (COR '50), 90, Howes Cave, N.Y., died July 25, 2009. From 1951 until retirement in 1989, he practiced large animal medicine in Richmondville, N.Y. A member of the American Association of Bovine Practitioners, Dr. Phillips was known for his expertise in preventive medicine for dairy cattle. He was a member of the New York State VMS and a past president of the Catskill Mountain VMA. Dr. Phillips also served as the first president of the Empire State Mastitis Council, from 1979-1984. From 1972-1981, he was chairman of the State University of New York College of Agriculture and Technology at Cobleskill.
Active in civic life, Dr. Phillips served on the Schoharie County Arts Council Board and Community Services Board and was a past president of the Cornell Cooperative Extension board of directors. He served in the Army during World War II and was awarded the Asiatic-Pacific Medal with three battle stars and the Presidential Unit Citation for Service in Australia and Papua New Guinea. Dr. Phillips is survived by his wife, Mary; three sons; and two daughters. Memorials in his name may be made to Catskill Area Hospice, 795 E. Main St., Suite 11, Cobleskill, NY 12043; or Richmondville United Methodist Church, P.O. Box 8, Richmondville, NY 12149 (with the memo line marked "Nothing But Nets").
Earl E. Schobert
Dr. Schobert (ISU '52), 89, Tampa, Fla., died June 8, 2009. Prior to retirement in 2004, he owned Forest Hills Animal Hospital, a mixed and exotic animal practice in Tampa. During his career, Dr. Schobert also served as veterinarian for Busch Gardens, Lowry Park Zoo, and Walt Disney World. He was a diplomate of the American College of Zoological Medicine and past president of the American Association of Zoo Veterinarians. Dr. Schobert served in the Air Force during World War II, attaining the rank of lieutenant colonel.
His wife, Carol; a son; and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the Office of Gift Planning, Iowa State University, Attn: Schobert Veterinary Medicine Education Fund, 2505 University Blvd., P.O. Box 2230, Ames, IA 50010.
Jack E. Shanks
Dr. Shanks (OSU '64), 75, Hickory, N.C., died May 20, 2009. He practiced large animal medicine and operated a cattle farm in Hickory since the early 1980s. Prior to that, Dr. Shanks owned a Hereford cattle ranch and practiced in Mocksville, N.C. Early in his career, Dr. Shanks was in small and mixed animal practice in Maryland.
A member of the North Carolina, Kentucky, and Virginia VMAs, he was a past president of the Maryland VMA and served on the board of directors of the American Association of Bovine Practitioners. Dr. Shanks was also a past president of the Maryland and North Carolina Polled Hereford associations, a member of the Catawba County Cattlemen's Association, and a lifetime member of the Montgomery County Fair.
His wife, Nancy; a son; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to Catawba County 4-H Livestock Club, c/o Beth Elmore, 4862 Range Ridge Road, Claremont, NC 28610; or Episcopal Church of the Epiphany, c/o The Altar Fund, P.O. Box 270, Newton, NC 28658.
Daniel L. Van Pelt
Dr. Van Pelt (CAL '53), 86, Fort Bragg, Calif., died May 18, 2009. He was the founder of Mendocino Coast Animal Hospital in Fort Bragg, practicing there for 35 years. Dr. Van Pelt was a past president of the Fort Bragg Rotary Club and was active with the Boy Scouts of America and Little League Baseball. He is survived by his wife, Esther, and three sons. Memorials may be made to the Fort Bragg Rotary Club, c/o North Coast Brewing Company, 444 N. Main St., Fort Bragg, CA 95437.
Russell D. Williamson
Dr. Williamson (COR '53), 86, Lexington, Va., died July 13, 2009. Prior to retirement, he owned Lexington Animal Hospital, a mixed animal practice, for 33 years. Dr. Williamson served in the Army Air Corps and Air Force Reserve from 1943-1945, attaining the rank of major. His wife, Mary; three sons; and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the Rockbridge Area Hospice, 315 Myers St., Lexington, VA 24450.