October 15, 2008




Posted Oct. 1, 2008​ 

AVMA Honor Roll Member 

AVMA Member


Earl G. Bailey Jr.
Dr. Bailey (TEX ’43), 87, Dexter, Mo., died July 24, 2008. He was a relief veterinarian in Florida and Missouri since 1978. Earlier in his career, Dr. Bailey owned an equine practice in southeast Missouri. A past president of the Missouri and Southeast Missouri VMAs, he received the Missouri Veterinarian of the Year Award in 1972. Dr. Bailey was a member of the American Association of Equine Practitioners. He served as a major in the Army during World War II. Dr. Bailey’s wife, Barbara; a son; and three daughters survive him. His son, Dr. Larry S. Bailey (MO ’72), is a veterinarian in Plant City, Fla.

Henry L. Banal
Dr. Banal (MIN ’52), 84, Sauk Centre, Minn., died June 9, 2008. He co-founded Sauk Centre Veterinary Clinic. Dr. Banal was a member of the Minnesota VMA and a past member of the Minnesota Board of Animal Health. Active in civic life, he served as mayor of Sauk Centre and was a member of the Sauk Centre City Council. Dr. Banal served in the Navy during World War II. His wife, Helen; two sons; and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to Holy Family School Endowment Fund, 231 Sinclair Lewis Ave., Sauk Centre, MN 56378.

Howard F. Bennett
Dr. Bennett (KSU ’54), 81, Petersburg, Ill., died July 15, 2008. He practiced in Petersburg for most of his 50-year career. Dr. Bennett was an Army veteran of World War II. A past president of the Petersburg School Board and Petersburg Toastmasters Club, he received the First Citizen Award from the Petersburg Chamber of Commerce in 2002. Dr. Bennett is survived by three sons, four daughters, and three stepdaughters. Memorials may be made to the Tallula Christian Church, 311 N. Yates, Tallula, IL 62688.

Everett D. Besch

Dr. Besch (TEX ’54), 84, Baton Rouge, La., died Aug. 26, 2008. From 1968 until retirement in 1988, he served as professor of veterinary medicine and founding dean of the Louisiana State University School of Veterinary Medicine. As dean, Dr. Besch worked with the AVMA Council on Education and directed development of the school’s professional curriculum, facilities planning, and faculty acquisition. After stepping down as dean, he continued his association with LSU for a year as a professor of veterinary microbiology and parasitology.

Dr. Besch began his career as a faculty member in the Department of Veterinary Pathology at the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine. In 1956, he joined the Oklahoma State University College of Veterinary Medicine as an assistant professor of veterinary parasitology. During his 12-year tenure at Oklahoma State, Dr. Besch was promoted to professor and headed the Department of Veterinary Parasitology and Public Health. His research interests focused on gastrointestinal helminths of ruminants and parasites of companion animals that are of importance to public health.

Dr. Besch was a consultant to the World Health Organization, Pan American Health Organization, Food and Drug Administration, National Academy of Sciences, and the Army Surgeon General. He served on the AVMA Executive Board from 1991-1997 and as Louisiana’s alternate delegate to the AVMA House of Delegates from 1989-1992. Dr. Besch also served on review and advisory committees for the National Institutes of Health. He was a past president of the American Association of Veterinary Parasitologists, Association of Teachers of Veterinary Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Conference of Public Health Veterinarians, and Animal Disease Research Workers in the Southern States. 

Dr. Besch served on LSU’s Strategic Planning Committee for the Pew National Veterinary Education Program and chaired the Louisiana VMA Legislative Committee. He also chaired the Council of Deans of the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges and was a member of the AVMA-AAVMC Joint Committee on Veterinary Medical Education. Dr. Besch served on the National Board Examination Committee and the AVMA Task Force on Veterinary Licensing Examination. He was a member of the National Advisory Council on Health Professions Education for five years.

Dr. Besch received the LVMA Veterinarian of the Year Award in 1976 and was the first recipient of the association’s Dr. Everett D. Besch Distinguished Service Award in 1998. In 1999, he was honored with the AVMA Award. A veteran of World War II, Dr. Besch served in the Navy. He is survived by his life partner, Virginia Englerth; four daughters; and a son. One daughter, Dr. Cynthia Besch-Williford (LSU ’78), is an associate professor at the University of Missouri-Columbia College of Veterinary Medicine.

Memorials may be made to the Darnell Besch Student Scholarship Fund, LSU School of Veterinary Medicine, Baton Rouge, LA 70803; or the BRLS General Operating Fund, Trinity Lutheran Church, 10925 Florida Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70815.

Joseph L. Brewer
Dr. Brewer (IL ’61), 72, Springfield, Ill., died June 8, 2008. Prior to retirement in 1994, he owned Brewer Animal Hospital in Springfield for 14 years. Earlier in his career, Dr. Brewer was a partner at Capitol Illini Veterinary Clinic in Springfield. From 1972-1975, he served on the Illinois Veterinary Licensing and Disciplinary Board. Dr. Brewer also served on the board of directors of the Henson Robinson Zoo in Springfield. He was a life member of the Illinois State VMA and a founding member of the Animal Protective League in Springfield.

Dr. Brewer served in the Air Force from 1961-1963, attaining the rank of captain.  He was a member of the American Legion. Dr. Brewer’s wife, Sylvia; two sons; and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the Animal Protective League, 1001 Taintor Road, Springfield, IL 62702.

Laurence S. Cushing
Dr. Cushing (UP ’57), 89, New Smyrna Beach, Fla., died Aug. 3, 2008. Prior to retirement, he owned Equine Gambit Inc., in Warwick, Md. During his career, Dr. Cushing also served as an associate professor of surgery at the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine. He was a member of the American Association of Equine Practitioners.
A veteran of World War II and the Korean and Vietnam Wars, Dr. Cushing served in the Army, attaining the rank of major. Dr. Cushing received two Bronze Stars, a Silver Medal, and the Purple Heart. He was a life member of the Reserve Officers’ Association of the United States. Dr. Cushing is survived by his wife, Sue; two sons; and a daughter. One son, Dr. L. Clarke Cushing (UP ’78), is a veterinarian in New Smyrna Beach. Memorials may be made to the American Heart Association, 555 W. Granada Blvd., Suite A-1, Ormond Beach, FL 32174.

Daniel Durniak
Dr. Durniak (COR ’52), 87, Phoenix, died March 17, 2008. He owned a large animal practice in Tucson for more than 50 years. Dr. Durniak also served as track veterinarian at Tucson Greyhound Park for 45 years. He was a captain in the Army during World War II and received several honors, including two Purple Hearts and a Bronze Star. Dr. Durniak is survived by his son.

John E. Fountain
Dr. Fountain (AUB ’56), 75, Crestview, Fla., died Feb. 22, 2008. Prior to retirement, he owned a practice in Crestview. Dr. Fountain was a veteran of the Army. He was active with the Kiwanis Club and Boy Scouts of America. Dr. Fountain’s wife, Eva, and three sons survive him. Memorials may be made to the Life Center at First United Methodist Church, 599 Eighth Ave., Crestview, FL 32536; or Blue Lake Methodist Camp, 8500 Oakwood Lane, Andalusia, AL 36920.

Grady E. Lanier
Dr. Lanier (AUB ’56), 83, Ocala, Fla., died July 21, 2008. Prior to retirement in 2005, he owned Southeast Animal Clinic in Ocala for 23 years. Earlier, Dr. Lanier owned practices in Florida at Miami and Marco Island and in Franklin, N.C. During his career, he also worked for the Department of Agriculture in Opelousas, La., and served as a research instructor in pharmacy and pathology at the University of Miami College of Medicine.

Dr. Lanier was a past executive board member of the Florida VMA and a past president of the South Florida VMA. He served with the Marine Corps during World War II in the Pacific theater, attaining the rank of corporal. In later years, Dr. Lanier held office with the Marine Corps League of Ocala/Marion County (Florida). He was also past president of the Miami and Marco Island Kiwanis clubs and served on the Ocala/Marion County Chamber of Commerce Environmental Affairs Committee.

Dr. Lanier’s wife, Barbara; two sons; and a daughter survive him. His son, Dr. Christopher J. Lanier (AUB ’96), is a lieutenant colonel with the Army Veterinary Corps in Fort Lewis, Wash. Dr. Lanier’s daughter-in-law, Dr. Dana H. Lanier (AUB ’98), practices in Puyallup, Wash. 

Howard B. Liebengood
Dr. Liebengood (KSU ’39), 92, Silver Lake, Ind., died July 27, 2008. From 1967 until retirement in 1993, he owned a practice in Silver Lake, preparing and certifying cattle for interstate and international shipment. Following graduation, Dr. Liebengood established a practice in Bentonville, Ark. In 1940, he moved to Plymouth, Ind., where he owned a livestock auction facility and veterinary clinic. Dr. Liebengood was a co-founder and charter member of the Michiana VA. Memorials may be made to Kosciusko Home Care and Hospice Inc., P.O. Box 1196, Warsaw, IN 46581.

Patricia A. Martin
Dr. Martin (IL ’68), 64, Addison, Ill., died May 28, 2008. She practiced in the western suburbs of Chicago. From the late 1990s onward, Dr. Martin focused on acupuncture and holistic healing. Earlier in her career, she taught at Parkland College in Champaign, Ill. Dr. Martin was an award-winning dressage rider.

Donald E. Pietz
Dr. Pietz (MIN ’53), 81, Ames, Iowa, died Feb. 23, 2008. Prior to retirement in 1984, he worked for the Department of Agriculture. Dr. Pietz began his career with the USDA as a field veterinarian, testing cattle for brucellosis and tuberculosis in several Minnesota counties. In 1958, he became a brucellosis epidemiologist and transferred to the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine, where he performed graduate work and investigated cattle herds in which brucellosis was not being eliminated via regular testing.

Dr. Pietz moved to the National Veterinary Services Laboratories in Ames in 1961. While there, he worked on the development and production of antigens and vaccines for the National Brucellosis Eradication Program. In 1975, Dr. Pietz co-authored the second edition of “Laboratory Techniques in Brucellosis” for the World Health Organization in Geneva. He was a member of the National Association of Federal Veterinarians and the U.S. Animal Health Association.

Dr. Pietz served in the Army from 1945-1946. He is survived by his wife, Lois; two sons; and two daughters. Memorials may be made to St. Paul Lutheran Church, 1435 Wilson Ave., Ames, IA 50010.

John G. Salsbury
Dr. Salsbury (ISU ’40), 92, Bozeman, Mont., died July 21, 2008. He retired in 1982 as chairman of what was known as Salsbury Laboratories, a poultry pharmaceutical company established by his father, Dr. Joseph Salsbury, in Charles City, Iowa, in the 1920s. Dr. Salsbury was a past president of the Animal Health Institute and the American Poultry Historical Society, past chair of the American Egg Board, and past director of the National Broiler Council, Southeastern Poultry and Egg Association, and Iowa State University Foundation.

He served on the Iowa VMA Advisory Board to the Dean of ISU’s College of Veterinary Medicine and was a member of the American Society of Parasitologists, World’s Poultry Science Association, and Poultry Science Association. In 1974, Dr. Salsbury received the Iowa State University Stange Award for Meritorious Service in Veterinary Medicine. He was the recipient of an ISU Alumni Recognition Medal in 1980. Active in civic life, Dr. Salsbury served as president of the Charles City Chamber of Commerce and the Lions Club.

His wife, Doris; two sons; and three daughters survive him. One son, Dr. Douglas E. Salsbury (ISU ’67), is a veterinarian in Whitehall, Mont.

Robert D. Walton
Dr. Walton (MIN ’72), 60, Williston, N.D., died Feb. 28, 2008. He was the co-founder of Western Veterinary Clinic in Williston. During his career, Dr. Walton also practiced in Montana and raised and showed Maine Anjou and Angus-cross cattle. He was a member of the American Association of Bovine Practitioners, Society for Theriogenology, and North Dakota VMA. Dr. Walton was also a member of the American Breeders Service, Beef Cattle Improvement Association, and North Dakota Stockmen’s Association. His wife, Kathy; a son; and a daughter survive him.