Traveling With Pet Birds

When considering interstate or international travel for your pet bird, plan ahead because some preparations may need to start months in advance.

The information contained in this section is supplemental to Transporting Animals - Basic Requirements and Considerations and Basic Timeline for Interstate and International Travel with Animals, which apply to all animal species. In addition, please review the following AVMA resources, which were designed with pets and pet owners in mind.

Know the requirements and restrictions for transporting animals

The USDA defines pet birds as those that are imported for personal pleasure of their individual owners and that are not intended for resale. If your pet bird is a dove, pigeon, duck, goose, chicken, turkey, or other type of production bird that falls into the poultry group, it is likely regulated as livestock and you should also refer to the AVMA’s resource, Transporting Livestock - Including Alternative Livestock, Poultry, Aquaculture, and Livestock Kept as Pets. If your bird is a falcon, owl, shore bird, or other wild bird species, it may be regulated as captive wildlife, and you should also refer to the AVMA’s resource, Transporting Wildlife Species or Their Hybrids. If you are unsure if the species of bird that you have requires a permit to own or rehabilitate, check with your state wildlife management agency.

Countries, territories, states, and even public modes of transportation have requirements and restrictions on the transport of animals. Depending on the species of bird that you have and where you are going, a certificate of veterinary inspection (CVI) may be required by the authorities at destination. Be aware that some countries and states may require your animal to be placed in quarantine before departure or upon arrival.

It is your responsibility to comply with the import requirements of the authorities at the destination, and the chart below will help you find the rules and regulations that impact you and your animal (s). In addition, the International Pet and Animal Transportation Association may be able to assist with your animal’s international travel.

What type of travel? Where to find requirements and restrictions?
​By public air, rail, bus, or boat. ​Check with the carrier line that you will be using
​Interstate (travel across state or territory borders within the U.S.) ​Check for the requirements of your destination location and the contact information for the state animal health authority on the USDA’s webpage, State Regulations for Importing Animals.


If your bird is regulated species, check with the involved state wildlife management agencies in your state and the state of destination to learn if you may legally own and transport the species, what the requirements are to do so, and what to do if you are not allowed to have the species.
​International travel from the U.S. (exporting) ​Contact the consulate or embassy of the country of destination or the country’s animal health authority for information on the importation requirements.


The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has regulations pertaining to foreign travel with your pet bird. The agency can also help with questions about the requirements and restrictions to ownership of regulated species, prerequisites for transporting them, and what to do if you are not allowed to have them.


Check the USDA’s Animal and Animal Product Export Information, including if an import permit is required and if a designated port needs to be used. Be sure to check under poultry if your pet bird is a poultry species, such as a chicken, goose, duck, etc.
​International travel into the U.S. (importing)

​USDA’s Animal and Animal Product Import Information


U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service


Check for the import requirements for the state of destination on the USDA’s webpage, State Regulations for Importing Animals, as well as with the involved state wildlife management agencies.