An AVMA Board of Directors- approved recommendation by the AVMA/AAVMC Joint Council created a task force on veterinary internships. The group was tasked with assessing the current status of veterinary internships; identifiying areas that need improvement; and developing plans to address the identified needs.
The task force's report includes the following:
- An overview of the number and types of veterinary internships currently available and the application process
- Recommended revisions to existing AVMA policies regarding veterinary internships
- An internship disclosure outline and model internship guidelines, designed to guide the development of internship programs with the goal of improving the quality, consistency and value of every veterinary internship
- Suggestions to improve education about veterinary internship programs
- Interpretation of relevant data from the 2010 Senior Survey and the 2010 Biennial Economic Survey
Read the full report