Animal travel and transport

Planning to transport your pets or other animals within the U.S. or internationally? If so, you will likely need a certificate of veterinary inspection (CVI).

CVIs may be required to transport animals from one area to another or for animals to participate in certain events, such as specific shows, rides, or sales. These pre-entry requirements help to ensure that the animals being moved do not carry illnesses or parasites that would be harmful to the people or animals that are in the destination area or that are participating in the same event.

In addition to meeting various physical health criteria and depending on the species, age, origin, destination, and purpose of travel, the animals to be moved may need to have certain tests, treatments, vaccinations, or other procedures done before they qualify for inclusion on a CVI. The process may vary from simple to complex depending on the requirements of the destination. This resource is intended to assist animal owners with issues and questions on topics ranging from the basic requirements applicable to all animals to requirements that are specific to the kind of animal you have (click on your animal’s category below).

What is a CVI?

A certificate of veterinary inspection (CVI), also known as a health certificate, is an official document issued by a federal, state, tribal, or accredited veterinarian certifying that the animals identified on the document have been inspected and were found to satisfy the regulations pertaining to their intended movement – within the same state, between states, or internationally.