The AVMA recognizes the increasing burden of educational debt on new graduates, and supports innovative methods to achieve student debt resolution, including, but not limited to:
- Funding and implementation of the federal Veterinary Medicine Loan Repayment Program.
- Funding and implementation of state and private loan repayment, loan forgiveness, grant and scholarship programs
- Expand and/or establish programs and incentives using the U.S. Tax Code to support higher education (exemptions, credits, etc.)
- Support favorable terms and conditions on federal, state and private loans for professional students(for example, low interest student loans)
- Support for increased debt management counseling by financial aid officers and veterinary medical colleges