The AVMA should be at the forefront of discussions that may impact drug availability, such as regulatory changes in veterinary oversight especially pertaining to antimicrobial use. The AVMA must:
- Proactively engage stakeholders and aggressively pursue opportunities to participate in and, where appropriate, lead those discussions.
- Make certain that decisions are informed by science.
- Ensure that risks and benefits to both humans and animals are given due consideration.
- Strive to minimize the potential for unintended negative consequences and maximize potential benefits.
- Incorporate members' expertise to effectively advocate for the veterinary profession, the animals in its care, and the public whose health veterinarians safeguard.
Relevant AVMA policy:
AVMA endorsed policy: