Principles of veterinary data ownership and stewardship
- Veterinary practices own their practice data.
- Control is a necessary condition of data ownership.
- Practice data should be portable and accessible.
- Prior consent is the foundation of proper data use.
- Data licensees should be transparent in their use of practice data.
- Veterinary practices should be able to limit and withdraw consent.
- Data should only be used for known lawful purposes.
- Data licensees should collect only the minimum required data.
- Data licensees should retain practice data only for the requisite time period.
- Data licensees should be responsible for their own and their licensees' use of veterinary practice data.
- Data licensees should maintain the confidentiality and privacy of veterinary practice data.
VSG/AVMA principles of veterinary data ownership & stewardship (PDF)