Student AVMA (SAVMA) Membership is open to any full time student enrolled in a program of study leading directly to a professional veterinary degree, granted by a school or college of veterinary medicine. Join SAVMA today to start taking advantage of your membership benefits!
All SAVMA Members are eligible for the following benefits provided by AVMA and SAVMA:
- SAVMA members receive free access to issues of the Journal of the AVMA (JAVMA) through the JAVMA app for your Apple or Android smartphone or tablet, along with free access to the online archive of all JAVMA articles dating back to 2000.
- SAVMA members receive reduced subscription rates to the print version of the JAVMA and the American Journal of Veterinary Research (AJVR). Non AVMA members pay as much as $265 a year per journal; student members save at least $200 per journal!
- JAVMA - $40 for a yearly subscription
- AJVR - $40 for a yearly subscription
Current student members may log on to the SAVMA Dues website to purchase a subscription.
Read JAVMA News online posted 2 weeks prior to publication
- Student members have free access to The Vet Gazette: the official online journal of the Student AVMA. Published for veterinary students by veterinary students. Includes an array of topics, and veterinary student members are encouraged to submit articles and take advantage of the chance to earn a stipend for their effort. Find out more at thevetgazette.com
Event and Conference Registration
- Free advanced registration to the AVMA Annual Convention held in July/August while in school. For the latest up-to-date information and to register, visit the AVMA Convention Website.
- Invitation to the annual SAVMA Symposium hosted by a local student chapter. Only current SAVMA members are able to register! Network with vet students and veterinary professionals; gain invaluable hands-on skills during wet labs; take a day trip showcasing local hot spots; and attend lectures and the exhibit hall to learn more about the exciting new technological advances in veterinary medicine!
- Visit SAVMA Events & Opportunities page for more information on all upcoming meetings!
Job Opportunities and Externship Locator
- Access to My Veterinary Life a dedicated microsite for students and recent graduates. Navigate your transition from student to veterinarian, nurture your personal wellbeing, and establish strong financial habits. The AVMA is committed to being by your side for guidance, direction and support every step of the way, from your first-year through graduation and all the milestones as you establish your veterinary career. Browse the collection of resources at myveterinarylife.com.
- Access to the AVMA Veterinary Career Center which provides job listings that match your resume and allows interested employers to search your posted resume. Find available post-graduate programs, externships, and preceptorships in your field of interest. Post your resume, browse through hundreds of current open positions, set up notifications so you can be emailed when new jobs that meet your criteria are posted and more! For more information visit avma.org/vcc or call 800-248-2862, ext. 6679.
- Available for use by all SAVMA Chapter and Student Associate Members for FREE
- Has information on starting salaries and benefits, how to evaluate your first practice position, demographics of the profession, and the variety of veterinary careers
- Counseling on "how to negotiate" for salary and benefit
- Student Externship Locator
- AVMA Externship Opportunities
- Student resources for helping manage your debt and financing your vet medical education can be found on Student Financial Resources Page
Full access to the member-only areas of the AVMA website and SAVMA website
SAVMA Awards and Scholarships
- Apply for numerous monetary awards offered by SAVMA Committees, for work done related to their respective committee tasks. Only current members may view and apply on the SAVMA Awards, Competitions and Scholarships opportunities page.
Exclusively for SAVMA Chapter members!
- Automatic Conversion to AVMA Membership.
SAVMA Chapter and Student Associate organization members who meet their SAVMA Chapter/Student Associate organization requirements to be a member in good standing and have paid membership dues for all years they are in veterinary school at the time of graduation will be granted automatic conversion to AVMA membership upon graduation.
- This means no application to file and no dues to pay for the remainder of the year of graduation (approximate $100 savings)
- Two additional years of reduced recent graduate AVMA membership dues to help lessen the financial burden of membership fees while searching for your veterinary career
($165 savings in 2018)
- Free registration to AVMA Convention the year you graduate (over $500 value), plus a credit for an additional free registration within the 5 years following graduation
- Access to the Recent Grad website, including the Personal Financial Planning Tool at avma.org/recentgrad
For further information on any of these topics, please contact dhallavma [dot] org (Dr. Derrick Hall), Associate Director of Student Initiatives at AVMA (800-248-2862, ext. 6681).
American Veterinary Medical Foundation (AVMF) Student Benefits
The AVMF was established as the charitable arm of the AVMA and is one of the largest providers of veterinary student scholarships.
Volunteer Opportunities include AVMF's Our Oath in Action
events in your community and leadership opportunities for students interested in serving on one of AVMF's committees. For more information, please complete the volunteer survey at avmf.org
Student Insurance Benefits:
Students must apply online for coverage benefits. Student must be current SAVMA member before applying. Visit the websites listed below to register.
AVMA PLIT for information call 800-228-7548.
Did you know that even as a student, you can be accused of veterinary malpractice and threatened with a lawsuit? Locate the PLIT student ambassador at your school and find when a PLIT Trust Veterinarian will be at your campus for an educational session on how to avoid and manage allegations of malpractice. You may also visit avmaplit.com/students for more information and connect with other students on our Facebook page.
The PLIT is honored to sponsor the liability insurance students need while they are in veterinary school. As a key SAVMA member benefit, coverage is at no cost to students. Student liability protects students during their clinical experiences (externships, preceptorships, part-time or volunteer work, even during their first year). Students must apply online at avmaplit.com/students to get the coverage they need. Have your SAVMA member number ready!
- AVMA LIFE for information call 800-621-6360.
As a veterinary student, you may need affordable, reliable insurance coverage. Without it, even a minor illness or injury can financially overwhelm you and could jeopardize your veterinary career. That's why AVMA LIFE created affordable insurance for veterinary students and their dependents. AVMA LIFE Trust is providing all full-time student members $25,000 of Life Insurance at no cost*!
Also available to students at an additional cost is the Student Basic Protection Package which includes $300 rabies vaccination benefit, $500 per month Disability coverage AND $100,000 Group Term Life Insurance plan. We also have dental and vision plans. Visit avmalife.org/students to register and learn more, as well as the contact information for the AVMA LIFE agent at your school.
*Underwritten by New York Life Insurance Company on Policy Form GMR. Must be a full-time SAVMA member to receive this complimentary Life coverage. Must also reside in the United States and be a legal resident to be eligible for coverage from the AVMA Life Trust. This life coverage ends upon termination of SAVMA Membership. Please visit the AVMA LIFE website for more information and exclusions.