Several scholarship opportunities are now open from the American Veterinary Medical Foundation for students attending AVMA Council on Education–accredited veterinary colleges.
Students can submit online applications for the following scholarships from March 1 through May 15.
- AVMA/AVMF Scholarship for Veterans: In honor of the 100th anniversary of President Woodrow Wilson’s signing of the National Defense Act of 1916 and the creation of a Veterinary Corps within the U.S. Army, the AVMA and AVMF established a special scholarship for military veterans pursuing an education in veterinary medicine. Scholarships in the amount of $5,000 are available to veterans of the U.S. Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, and Navy currently in their first three years of veterinary school.
- AVMF/Arizona VMA Scholarship: Five $1,000 scholarships are available to third-year veterinary students with a connection to the state of Arizona. Applicants must be a member of the Student AVMA and a student member of the AzVMA and have been born, lived, employed, or educated in the state, among other requirements.
- AVMF/Winn Feline Foundation Scholarship: A $2,500 scholarship is available to a second- or third-year student in the U.S. who demonstrates an interest in feline veterinary medicine. The recipient of this award must be able to document a history of participation in activities that benefit the health and welfare of cats. A strong GPA and financial need are also considered for this scholarship.
- Mildred Sylvester Scholarship: This $1,000 scholarship, established by the estate of Mildred Sylvester, is available to an outstanding first-, second-, or third-year U.S. veterinary student with a connection to the state of New Jersey.
- Dr. Elinor McGrath Scholarship: Juliette Fassett, founder of Dr. McGrath’s, partners with the AVMF in offering a $500 scholarship to a first-, second-, or third-year student at a U.S. veterinary college. Dr. McGrath is recognized as America’s first female member of the AVMA.
The application form for these scholarships will be available at the AVMF website. For more information on any of the scholarship opportunities, please contact Patti Gillespie, senior manager of programs and operations. She can be reached by email at scholarshipsavma [dot] org or by phone at 847-285-6709.