Winn Feline Foundation, in collaboration with PetSmart Charities, has announced a special request for research proposals in feline shelter medicine.
Winn is requesting proposals to address needs of shelter and free-roaming cats in areas such as the following:
- Upper respiratory tract infection.
- Internal and external parasitism.
- Neonatal health.
- Diarrhea in neonates and foster kittens.
- Impact of housing and its associated stressors, which can lead to reactivation of latent herpesvirus infection and to upper respiratory tract infections.
- Intensive handling needs that increase transmission of serious diseases such as panleukopenia, ringworm, and diarrhea.
- Stress-associated failure to engage in normal health maintenance behaviors, such as elimination, grooming, and eating, and the associated consequences.
- Euthanasia due to feral or fearful behavior.
The deadline for receipt of applications is Dec. 11, and awards will be announced in April 2018. The maximum grant amount is $25,000, and expectations are to fund at least three proposals. Only proposals that can be completed within a one-year time frame will be considered.