The North American Pet Health Insurance Association recently shared the top 10 ways that veterinary practices can promote pet health insurance.
John Volk, senior consultant for Brakke Consulting, presented the list on behalf of NAPHIA during the annual meeting of the American Animal Hospital Association, March 31-April 2 in Nashville, Tennessee.
Volk and NAPHIA conducted in-depth interviews at veterinary practices that had higher-than-average numbers of insured patients. The following 10 things were common to a majority of the practices. They:
- Selected one or two pet insurance companies to support.
- Designated one or two key staff members as the pet insurance specialists.
- Talked to clients about pet health insurance.
- Provided a link on the practice website to the pet insurance company or companies recommended by the practice.
- Determined which clients already have pet health insurance.
- Noted the pet health insurance company and claim number in the patient record.
- Submitted claims.
- Made pet insurance an employee benefit.
- Recommended 30-day, no-cost trial policies.
- Engaged the whole practice.
The Pet Insurance Best Practices Guide for Veterinary Teams is here.
Related JAVMA content: