AVMA honor roll member
Dr. Banicki (IL '53), 91, Tempe, Ariz., died Jan. 29, 2012. Following graduation, he established Eldorado Animal Hospital in Decatur, Ill., where he practiced small animal medicine for 45 years prior to retirement. During that time, Dr. Banicki also served as the veterinarian on call for the Scovill Zoo in Decatur. He was an Army Air Corps veteran of World War II, receiving two Purple Hearts. Dr. Banicki is survived by two daughters and two sons.
Clem V. Cottom Jr.
Dr. Cottom (OKL '58), 78, Bixby, Okla., died Nov. 4, 2011. A mixed animal practitioner, he established Cottom Veterinary Clinic in Bixby in 1962. Dr. Cottom was a lifetime member of the Oklahoma State University Alumni Association and a member of the Oklahoma and Northeast Oklahoma VMAs. Active in civic life, he was a charter member of the Bixby Lions Club and was active with the 4-H Club, National FFA Organization, Girl Scouts, and Boy Scouts, receiving several honors and awards for his service. Dr. Cottom's two daughters and two sons survive him.
Joyce E. DeWeese
Dr. DeWeese (MO '55), 85, Marceline, Mo., died Dec. 30, 2011. During his career, he was a meat inspector with the U.S. Department of Agriculture and served as an assistant state veterinarian. Dr. DeWeese was an Army veteran of World War II and a member of the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars. He is survived by a son and two daughters. Memorials toward the Shriners Hospitals for Children or Marceline United Methodist Church may be made c/o Delaney Funeral Home, 1720 N. Missouri Ave., Marceline, MO 64658.
Charles E. Deyhle Sr.
Dr. Deyhle (TEX '51), 87, Clarendon, Texas, died Dec. 29, 2011. He practiced mixed animal medicine and served as a feed yard consultant in Clarendon. Dr. Deyhle was a past vice president of the Texas VMA, a charter member of the Texas Cattle Feeders Association, and a member of the American Association of Bovine Practitioners.
In 1990, he received the AABP Award for Excellence in Veterinary Preventive Medicine in beef cattle. Dr. Deyhle was also the recipient of the TVMA Food Animal Practitioner of the Year Award in 1998.
Active in civic life, he served on the Clarendon College Board of Regents and Greenbelt Water Authority Board. Dr. Deyhle was a Navy veteran of World War II. His wife, Frances; a son; and three daughters survive him. Dr. Deyhle's son, Dr. Charles E. Deyhle (TEX '77), is a mixed animal practitioner in Canyon, Texas. Memorials may be made to First United Methodist Church Building and Grounds Fund, P.O. Box 157, Clarendon, TX 79226; or Clarendon College Charles E. Deyhle Sr. Scholarship Fund, P.O. Box 968, Clarendon, TX 79226.
Richard P. Draudt
Dr. Draudt (COR '53), 83, Ocala, Fla., died Jan. 1, 2012. Following graduation, he owned a practice in Randolph, N.Y., and established Angus Hill Farm. In 2002, Dr. Draudt moved to Ocala, where he worked part time on a Thoroughbred breeding farm. He was a member of the American Angus Association and American Embryo Transfer Association. Dr. Draudt's daughter and two stepsons survive him.
Frederick E. Ducey Jr.
Dr. Ducey (GA '50), 86, Ridgeland, S.C., died Nov. 17, 2011. He practiced mixed animal medicine in Ridgeland for 61 years. Dr. Ducey was a past mayor of Ridgeland and a past president of the Ridgeland Jaycees. He received several honors, including an Award of Excellence from the Jasper County Rotary Club and a resolution from the South Carolina House of Representatives. Dr. Ducey also received an award from the Jasper Animal Rescue Mission and was the recipient of the Sergeant Jasper Award from the Jasper County Chamber of Commerce.
Dr. Ducey was an Army Air Corps veteran of World War II. His wife, Margaret; three sons; and a daughter survive him. Dr. Ducey's brother, Dr. James E. Ducey Sr. (GA '58), is a small animal veterinarian practicing in Savannah, Ga.
F. Eugene Eads
Dr. Eads (MSU '41), 93, Scottsdale, Ariz., died Feb. 6, 2012. From 1951 until retirement in 1980, he served as head of the veterinary department at Parke-Davis in Detroit. Earlier in his career, Dr. Eads worked briefly for the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the state of Illinois, and was part of the teaching and clinical staff at Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine. He was a member of the American Animal Hospital Association and Medical Advisory Council of the Detroit Zoological Park.
Dr. Eads was also a member of the Advisory Council of Michigan State Basic College, American Agricultural Council, and Greater Detroit Board of Commerce. He is survived by two daughters and a son. Dr. Eads' cousin, Dr. Alan D. Eads (COL '61), practices at Kaibab Animal Hospital in Scottsdale. Memorials may be made to Hospice of the Valley, 1510 E. Flower St., Phoenix, AZ 85014.
Raymond L. Hanson
Dr. Hanson (MIN '52), 95, Lindstrom, Minn., died Aug. 26, 2011. He practiced in Lindstrom for more than 30 years. Dr. Hanson is survived by his daughter and son.
John B. Jeffers
Dr. Jeffers (COR '57), 79, Mount Laurel, N.J., died Oct. 11, 2011. Continuing his education after graduating from veterinary college, Dr. Jeffers earned an MD degree and specialized in ophthalmology. He went on to serve as director of resident education and as head of Wills Eye Emergency Room until his retirement in 2004. A diplomate of the American Board of Ophthalmology, Dr. Jeffers was known for his expertise in the field of ocular sports-related injuries and traumatic hyphema. His wife, Nancy; a daughter; and two sons survive him. Memorials may be made to AtlantiCare Hospice, P.O. Box 1626, Pleasantville, NJ 08232.
James A. Kennedy
Dr. Kennedy (MO '79), 64, Rocky Ford, Colo., died Dec. 31, 2011. He was director of the Colorado State University Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory in Rocky Ford since 2002. Dr. Kennedy also served as a liaison between the Colorado Department of Agriculture and the CSU VDL and was the state coordinator of the Colorado Voluntary Bovine Viral Diarrhea Control Program. Following graduation, he worked as an associate veterinarian at Meriweather Veterinary Supply in Miller, S.D. From 1980-1984, Dr. Kennedy owned Ellis Veterinary Clinic, a mixed animal practice in Ellis, Kan. He then served as veterinarian in charge of food safety at Monfort in Garden City, Kan. In 1985, Dr. Kennedy became owner of Western Veterinary Services Inc. in Syracuse, Kan. For the next 10 years, he worked mainly with beef cattle in cow-calf, stocker, and feedlot operations. In 1996, Dr. Kennedy began his academic career in the Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture at the University of Nebraska-Curtis, serving as an associate professor and instructional coordinator. He remained there until he was named director of the CSU VDL in 2002.
A member of the Colorado VMA, Dr. Kennedy was named Veterinarian of the Year in 2007. In civic life, he was a past president of the Syracuse School Board and Curtis Airport Board. Dr. Kennedy was a veteran of the Air Force, attaining the rank of captain. His wife, Barbara; a son; and two daughters survive him. Memorials toward the First Baptist Church of Rocky Ford, CSU College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences, or Colorado Cattlemen's Association may be made c/o Fellers Funeral Home and Monuments, P.O. Box 1253, 401 N. Sumner St., Syracuse, KS 67878.
William E. Ketter
Dr. Ketter (KSU '58), 77, Hanover, Pa., died Dec. 24, 2011. Prior to retirement, he worked for the U.S. Department of Agriculture for 42 years. Dr. Ketter was an Army veteran, attaining the rank of captain. He is survived by his wife, Nadine; a son; and three daughters. Memorials may be made to the Seminarian Fund, Peter Paul Maher Council-Knights of Columbus #6793, c/o Grand Knight, P.O. Box 570, Olney, MD 20832.
Robert A. Kirby
Dr. Kirby (AUB '46), 87, Eufaula, Ala., died Jan. 10, 2012. From 1980 until retirement in 1997, he practiced small animal medicine in Eufaula. Earlier in his career, Dr. Kirby practiced mixed animal medicine in Alabama at Birmingham and Moody. He also raised cattle. Dr. Kirby served as a meat inspector with the rank of captain in the Army Veterinary Corps from 1953-1954. He is survived by his wife, Marion; a son; and three stepchildren.
John H. Miller
Dr. Miller (WSU '44), 89, Balboa Island, Calif., died Jan. 27, 2012. A small animal veterinarian, he owned Covina Animal Hospital in Covina, Calif., a practice founded by his father, Dr. Gerial N. Miller. Dr. Miller was a veteran of the Army Veterinary Corps. His wife, Victoria, and three daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the American Red Cross, P.O. Box 4002018, Des Moines, IA 50340.
LeRoy E. Nelson
Dr. Nelson (ISU '49), 85, Bricelyn, Minn., died Dec. 8, 2011. Prior to retirement, he was a poultry and meat inspector and supervisor with the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Albert Lea, Minn. Earlier in his career, Dr. Nelson owned a large animal practice in Bricelyn for 22 years. He was a past president of the Southern Minnesota Veterinary Society and the Minnesota chapter of the National Association of Federal Veterinarians. Active in civic life, Dr. Nelson was a member of the Bricelyn School Board and the Bricelyn Voluntary Fire Department. He is survived by his wife, Jeanne; two daughters; and a son.
Kenneth H. Niemeyer
Dr. Niemeyer (MO '55), 83, Columbia, Mo., died Dec. 28, 2011. He was professor emeritus and past associate dean of academic affairs at the University of Missouri-Columbia College of Veterinary Medicine. Following graduation, Dr. Niemeyer briefly practiced small animal medicine in St. Louis before joining the teaching faculty at MU. In 1963, he was appointed associate professor, later serving as director of the Small Animal Clinic. Dr. Niemeyer was named assistant dean for student and alumni affairs in 1976. In this position, he developed an alumni relations program and initiated alumni publications and a college development fund. Dr. Niemeyer served as the interim chairman of veterinary medicine and surgery in 1981 and 1982. He was named associate dean of academic affairs in 1985.
In retirement, Dr. Niemeyer remained active with the MU College of Veterinary Medicine. He oversaw the college's 50th anniversary celebration and established the Visiting Lecture Fund. Dr. Niemeyer was a past president of the Missouri VMA and a member of the American Animal Hospital Association and American Association of Veterinary Clinicians. He also served on the Advisory Board to Animal Control for the city of Columbia.
Dr. Niemeyer received several honors, including the CVM Alumnus of the Year Award in 1986 and the Missouri VMA Veterinarian of the Year Award in 1993. He was a veteran of the Navy. Dr. Niemeyer is survived by his wife, Margaret, and a son. Memorials toward the Niemeyer Lecture Fund or the Kenneth H. Niemeyer Scholarship Fund may be made to the College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Missouri, 1600 E. Rollins, Columbia, MO 65211.
Debra S. Riding In
Dr. Riding In (OKL '94), 42, Portland, Ore., died Oct. 1, 2011. A small animal veterinarian, she practiced in Portland and other areas of Multnomah County. Dr. Riding In was a member of the Confederated Tribes of Siletz and the Pawnee Nation. She is survived by her husband, Andres; a stepdaughter; and two stepsons.
Charles W. Riley
Dr. Riley (KSU '44), 93, Fort Worth, Texas, died Nov. 20, 2011. He practiced in Minnesota and Texas for more than 60 years, focusing on small animal medicine and surgery.
In Texas, Dr. Riley practiced initially at Ridgmar West Animal Hospital in Fort Worth. He eventually bought the Animal Hospital and Clinic of Arlington in Arlington, Texas, and practiced there with his son, Dr. Doug H. Riley (TEX '77). Dr. Riley also served as the primary commission veterinarian at Greyhound Park in Harlingen, Texas, and co-founded what is now known as the Fort Worth/Tarrant County Animal Foundation. He helped in funding companion animal medical research and assisted in finding resources for veterinary students at Texas A&M University.
Dr. Riley was a past president of the Tarrant County VMA and a past chair of the Texas A&M Veterinary Development Council. He was trustee emeritus of the Morris Animal Foundation since 1986 and was the second inductee into the Mark L. Morris Hall of Fame. Dr. Riley was also a past director of the Texas VMA and Texas Veterinary Fund. He received several honors, including the first Texas A&M University Mark Francis Development Award in 1983 and the Friends of A&M College Award in 1991.
Dr. Riley is survived by his wife, Betty, and his son. Memorials may be made to the Fort Worth/Tarrant County Animal Foundation, P.O. Box 163574, Fort Worth, TX 76161.
Philip J. Snoy
Dr. Snoy (IL '75), 59, Barnesville, Md., died Aug 15, 2011. A diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Pathologists, he directed the Division of Veterinary Services in the Food and Drug Administration's Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research since 1995. During his 32-year career with the FDA, Dr. Snoy contributed to the research mission of the CBER and collaborated with scientists in the FDA and at the National Institutes of Health. He was involved with performance and assessment of neurovirulence tests for measles, mumps, and poliovirus vaccines, and efficacy and safety evaluation of vaccines for viral hepatitis, diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis. Dr. Snoy also collaborated on research on HIV, SIV, anthrax, and shigellosis studies, using animal models. He is survived by his wife, Dr. Frances S. Dougherty (GA '77), who owns an equine riding business, and a daughter. Memorials may be made to Parent Encouragement Program, 10100 Connecticut Ave., Kensington, MD 20895; Coronado Performing Arts Center, 314 N. Main St., Rockford, IL 61101; or Newark Boys Chorus School, 1016 Broad St., Newark, NJ 07102.
John M. Springs Jr.
Dr. Springs (GA '58), 77, Santee, S.C., died Nov. 18, 2011. A diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine, he served in the Air Force for 28 years, retiring as a colonel in 1986. Dr. Springs earned a master's in public health from the University of Michigan in 1967. During his career with the Air Force, he served as command veterinarian at Scott Air Force Base in Illinois, and as deputy chief and program consultant for the Biomedical Sciences Corps. From 1980-1986, Dr. Springs was the professional affairs liaison officer for the Headquarters Air Force Office of Medical Support at Brooks Air Force Base in Texas. He coordinated and implemented the plan to transfer Air Force veterinary activities to the Department of the Army as directed by Congress and developed an environmental health program to provide for public health preventive measures at Air Force installations within the United States and overseas.
Dr. Springs received a Legion of Merit for his service. He was a member of the South Carolina Association of Veterinarians and a life member of the American Public Health Association. In 1991, Dr. Springs was awarded life membership in the Conference of Public Health Veterinarians for his service. His wife, Connie; a daughter; and a son survive him. Dr. Springs' daughter, Dr. Carol S. King (GA '92), is a small animal veterinarian in Campobello, S.C.
Emilie S. Thompson
Dr. Thompson (KSU '99), 37, Rogers, Ark., died Nov. 15, 2011. A small animal practitioner, she had worked in Lawrence, Kan., and St. Louis Park, Minn., before working part time from home. Dr. Thompson is survived by her husband, Jason Bohannon, and three children. Memorials may be made to St. Vincent DePaul Society, 1416 West Poplar, Rogers, AR 72758.
Herbert L. Tscheiller
Dr. Tscheiller (MSU '68), 75, Andersonville, Tenn., died Jan. 20 2012. A mixed animal veterinarian, he founded Agri-Pet Veterinary Service in Hamilton, Ohio, and practiced there until retirement in 1995. Early in his career, Dr. Tscheiller worked briefly in Wisconsin. He was a veteran of the Air National Guard. Dr. Tscheiller's wife, Minnie, and two stepsons survive him. Memorials may be made to the Dr. Herbert Tscheiller Student Scholarship Fund, College of Veterinary Medicine, F130 Veterinary Medical Center, East Lansing, MI 48824.
John F. Van Vleet
Dr. Van Vleet (COR '62), 73, West Lafayette, Ind., died Jan. 5, 2012. Retired since 2010, he was professor emeritus and past associate dean for academic affairs at the Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine. Dr. Van Vleet joined the faculty at Purdue in 1967 after earning a master's and a doctorate in veterinary pathology from the University of Illinois in 1965 and 1967, respectively. During his career, he also served as a visiting professor at St. George's University in Grenada.
Dr. Van Vleet was a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Pathologists and a member of the International Academy of Pathology. He received several honors, including a Carl J. Norden-Pfizer Distinguished Teaching Award in 1980 and inclusion in the Book of Great Teachers at Purdue University in 2008. Also in 2008, Dr. Van Vleet received a Dr. Erwin Small Distinguished Alumnus Award from the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine.
Civically, he was a member of the Kiwanis Club. His wife, Nancy, and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the Van Vleet Auction Scholarship, Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine, 625 Harrison St., West Lafayette, IN 47907.
Tom B. Watson
Dr. Watson (KSU '49), 90, Lavaca, Ark., died Nov. 14, 2011. During his career, he owned several farming operations and worked as a veterinary inspector for the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Dr. Watson served as a bombardier/navigator during World War II, stationed at Metfield Air Base in England. His wife, Thelma, and three daughters survive him.
Merle S. Watts
Dr. Watts (KSU '53), 85, Tucson, Ariz., died Dec. 27, 2011. He owned Fillmore Veterinary Hospital, a small animal practice in Colorado Springs, Colo., from 1955 until retirement in 1990. Dr. Watts also helped establish the local humane society. Earlier in his career, he practiced in Tulsa, Okla. Dr. Watts was a member of the Colorado VMA. Active in civic life, he was a member of the Rotary Club and Boy Scouts. Dr. Watts served in the Marines Corps from 1945-1947. His wife, Louie; two sons; and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to Christian Veterinary Mission, 19303 Fremont Ave. N., Seattle, WA 98133.
Ronald T. Williams
Dr. Williams (MSU '45), 90, Montecito, Calif., died Dec. 26, 2011. A mixed animal practitioner, he owned a practice in Klamath Falls, Ore., prior to retirement in 1984. Before that, Dr. Williams raised cattle and practiced on his ranch near Bonanza, Ore. Early in his career, he practiced at Hi-Way Pet Hospital in Montecito. Dr. Williams trained and ran Labrador Retrievers in field trials. His wife, Lola Jean; a son; a daughter; a stepson; and a stepdaughter survive him. Memorials in his name may be made to Klamath Humane Society, P.O. Box 482, Klamath Falls, OR 97601.
For an obituary to be published, JAVMA must be notified within six months of the veterinarian's date of death via a toll-free phone call at (800) 248-2862, Ext. 6754; newsavma [dot] org (email); or fax at (847) 925-9329.
Memorial contributions to the American Veterinary Medical Foundation are gratefully accepted. When making such contributions, please indicate the name and address of the individual who should receive notification of your donation. Contact:
P.O. Box 5940
Carol Stream, IL