AVMA honor roll member
Buell L. Bassette
Dr. Bassette (OSU ’61), 78, Sun City Center, Fla., died Dec. 28, 2008. From 1962 until retirement in 1994, he owned the Boxford Animal Clinic in Boxford, Mass. Dr. Bassette is survived by his wife, Beverly; a son; and a daughter. Memorials may be made to Northfield Mount Hermon School, One Lamplighter Way, Mount Hermon, MA 01354.
Vernon R. Bauman
Dr. Bauman (COL ’42), 88, Watertown, Wis., died Nov. 19, 2008. Prior to retirement in 1981, he practiced in Watertown. Earlier in his career, Dr. Bauman worked in the field of artificial insemination in Wisconsin at Monroe and Beaver Dam; served two years in the Navy; and practiced in Middletown, N.Y., for a year. He was a past president of the Wisconsin and Dodge County VMAs and the Watertown Agribusiness Club. Dr. Bauman’s wife, Margaret; two sons; two daughters; two stepsons; and two stepdaughters survive him.
James E. Brown
Dr. Brown (AUB ’43), 90, Rich Square, N.C., died Dec. 29, 2008. He owned a practice in Rich Square since 1943. Dr. Brown also served several years with the Northampton County Health Department and as official veterinarian for the Woodland Horse and Pony Show. In 2005, he received the Carl Durham Award from the Association of North Carolina Boards of Health for his leadership and advocacy in public health. That same year, Dr. Brown was recognized by the Northampton County Board of Commissioners for his veterinary service to the citizens of the county.
He served in the Army Veterinary Corps during World War II and was a member of the American Legion. Dr. Brown’s daughter survives him. Memorials may be made to the James E. and Jane Brown Endowment of the NCSU Libraries, North Carolina State University, Box 7111, Raleigh, NC 27695.
Wallace J. Butson
Dr. Butson (ISU ’44), 90, Wells, Minn., died March 4, 2009. Known for his expertise in specific pathogen-free hog production, he owned a practice in Wells from 1950-1986. Earlier in his career, Dr. Butson worked for the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Minnesota and Mexico, assisting with the efforts to eradicate foot-and-mouth disease. He served in the Army from 1942-1944. Active in civic life, Dr. Butson was a member of the Wells volunteer fire department and school board. His wife, Winifred; four sons; and two daughters survive him.
Paul A. Didion
Dr. Didion (OSU ’51), 87, Jefferson, Wis., died Dec. 10, 2008. Retired since 1992, he was a founder of Jefferson Veterinary Clinic. Early in his career, Dr. Didion owned a mixed animal practice in Jefferson. He was a veteran of the Marine Corps. Dr. Didion served 32 years on the board of directors of the Jefferson County Bank. His wife, Lela; two daughters; and four sons survive him. Dr. Didion’s daughter-in-law, Dr. Yvonne M. Bellay (OSU ’75), is a veterinarian in Jefferson. Memorials may be made to St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, 324 E. North St., Jefferson, WI 53549; Jefferson Community Foundation, P.O. Box 81, Jefferson, WI 53549; or Tomorrow’s Hope, 147 W. Rockwell St., Jefferson, WI 53549.
Tim G. Faulkenberry
Dr. Faulkenberry (TEX ’51), 88, Brownfield, Texas, died Dec. 20, 2008. He owned a practice in Brownfield. Dr. Faulkenberry also volunteered with the Terry County Junior Livestock shows for 37 years. He was a life member of the Texas VMA. Dr. Faulkenberry served in the Army during World War II. Active in civic life, he was a member of the Lions Club and served as a trustee for the Brownfield Independent School District and the Texas Association of School Boards. Dr. Faulkenberry is survived by his wife, Earlene; three sons; and a daughter.
George A. Franko
Dr. Franko (UP ’56), 77, Nicholson, Pa., died Dec. 28, 2008. He owned a practice in Spring House, Pa., prior to retirement in 1984. Dr. Franko was a member of the Pennsylvania VMA. His wife, Jean, and three sons survive him. Memorials in his name may be made to Mercy Healthcare Hospice Fund, 746 Jefferson Ave., Scranton, PA 18501; or St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, 100 Main St., Nicholson, PA 18446.
Paul H. Fynskov
Dr. Fynskov (MIN ’61), 76, Clear Lake, Iowa, died March 2, 2009. The founder of Clear Lake Veterinary Hospital, he practiced there until retirement in 1996. Dr. Fynskov was a member of the Minnesota VMA and the Clear Lake Lions Club. His wife, Janice, and two sons survive him. Memorials may be made to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Donor Services, P.O. Box 4072, Pittsfield, MA 01202.
Walter C. Keck
Dr. Keck (WSU ’52), 87, Oak Harbor, Wash., died Jan. 20, 2009. He co-founded Lake City Animal Hospital in Seattle, practicing there for 30 years prior to retirement. Dr. Keck was past chair of the Washington State Department of Health’s Veterinary Board of Governors and past president of the Seattle VMA. In 1976, he was named Washington State VMA Veterinarian of the Year. Active in civic life, Dr. Keck served on the Lake Forest Park City Council. He was a veteran of the Army. Dr. Keck’s daughter and three sons survive him. Memorials may be made to Washington State University, College of Veterinary Medicine, Pullman, WA 99164.
Harry L. Kemp
Dr. Kemp (GA ’78), 56, Camilla, Ga., died Nov. 16, 2008. He practiced in Montana and Iowa until 1981, then moved to Georgia and established a swine and biosecurity consulting practice in research and production to serve biotechnology companies. Also in the cattle and swine business, Dr. Kemp was a founding partner of Triway Products Inc., a livestock nutrition firm.
He served on the advisory board for the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine and was past president of the Georgia Pork Producers Association. Dr. Kemp was a member of the American Association of Swine Veterinarians and Georgia VMA. He was also a member of the Mitchell County Young Farmers, Mitchell County and Georgia Farm bureaus, and Mitchell County Cattlemen’s Association.
Dr. Kemp received several honors, including a Distinguished Service Award from the Mitchell County Young Farmers. Active in civic life, he was former chairman of the Mitchell County Board of Education and served on the Bank of Camilla board of directors. Dr. Kemp’s wife, Melanie; a daughter; and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to First Baptist Church of Camilla, P.O. Box 414, Camilla, GA 31730.
Richard W. Kennedy
Dr. Kennedy (UP ’60), 77, Bangor, Pa., died Feb. 1, 2009. Prior to retirement in 1996, he was a partner at Ackermanville Veterinary Hospital in Ackermanville, Pa., and Wind Gap Veterinary Clinic in Wind Gap, Pa. During retirement, Dr. Kennedy practiced part time at Mount Bethel Animal Hospital in Mount Bethel, Pa. A member of the Pennsylvania VMA, he received the Outstanding Public Service Award in 1996. Dr. Kennedy was also a member of the Lehigh Valley VMA. His wife, Kathryn, and two sons survive him. Memorials may be made to St. Peter’s Lutheran Church, 1422 Church Road, Pen Argyl, PA 18072; or Fox Chase Cancer Center, P.O. Box 42630, Philadelphia, PA 19161.
Jack H. McElyea
Dr. McElyea (AUB ’55), 82, Winter Park, Fla., died Sept. 7, 2008. Prior to retirement in 2007, he practiced part time at Lake Olympia Veterinary Clinic in Orlando, Fla., for two years. Earlier in his career, Dr. McElyea owned Edgewater Animal Hospital, College Park Animal Clinic, Rosemont Animal Clinic, and Good Homes Road Animal Clinic, all in Orlando. He was a past president of the Central Florida VMA. Dr. McElyea is survived by his wife, Jane; a daughter; and two sons. Memorials may be made to College Park United Methodist Church, 644 W. Princeton St., Orlando, FL 32804.
Lester D. Nordyke
Dr. Nordyke (MO ’58), 79, Columbia, Mo., died Feb. 5, 2009. Prior to retirement in 1995, he worked for the Department of Agriculture. During that time, Dr. Nordyke served with the Food Safety and Inspection Service in Missouri at Flat River and Marshall, and, later, as USDA director of federal and state relations in Washington, D.C. Earlier in his career, he practiced in Bowling Green, Mo.
Dr. Nordyke was a veteran of the Army. He served as coordinator for the 1958 veterinary class of the University of Missouri-Columbia. Dr. Nordyke is survived by two sons and two daughters. Memorials may be made to the Coyote Hill Children’s Home, 9501 Coyote Hill Road, Harrisburg, MO 65256; or Sunrise Optimist Club of Columbia, 2410 Parker St., Columbia, MO 65202.
Robert M. Nutter
Dr. Nutter (MID ’42), 96, Juno Beach, Fla., died Feb. 23, 2009. He founded Hanson Animal Hospital in Hanson, Mass., practicing there until retirement in 1979. Dr. Nutter served with the Naval Veterinary Corps in the Coast Guard during World War II. He is survived by his wife, Janet; two daughters; and a son. Memorials may be made to Hospice of Palm Beach County, 5300 East Ave., West Palm Beach, FL 33407.
James H. Sikes
Dr. Sikes (AUB ’45), 84, Statesboro, Ga., died Dec. 15, 2008. Prior to retirement in 1992, he worked for the Georgia Department of Agriculture for 17 years. During that time, Dr. Sikes helped eradicate brucellosis in the state. Earlier in his career, he worked for the U.S. Department of Agriculture for more than 30 years. Dr. Sikes is survived by three sons. Memorials may be made to Ogeechee Area Hospice, P.O. Box 531, Statesboro, GA 30459; or Humane Society of Bulloch County, P.O. Box 581, Statesboro, GA 30459.
Barbara J. Upton
Dr. Upton (VMR ’88), 46, Lafayette, N.J., died Feb. 22, 2009. During her career, she practiced in Maryland and Iowa and worked in veterinary technical services for a pharmaceutical company in North Carolina. Dr. Upton is survived by her husband, Dr. Scott T. Witte (VMR ’85), who works for Schering-Plough Research Institute; a daughter; and a son. Memorials may be made to the Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center, One Charles Center, 100 N. Charles St., Suite 234, Baltimore, MD 21201.
Leighton E. Wallace
Dr. Wallace (WSU ’44), 87, Everett, Wash., died Feb. 19, 2009. Prior to retirement in 1988, he owned Broadway Animal Hospital in Everett. Early in his career, Dr. Wallace worked in brucellosis control for the state of Washington and for the former Bureau of Animal Industry in the U.S. Department of Agriculture. He was a charter member of the North Everett Lions Club. Dr. Wallace is survived by two daughters. Memorials may be made to the Northwest Lions Foundation for Sight & Hearing, 221 Yale Ave. N., Suite 450, Seattle, WA 98109.
J. Bruce Wenger
Dr. Wenger (OSU ’50), 85, Austell, Ga., died Nov. 13, 2008. He founded Beechwold Veterinary Hospital in Columbus, Ohio, in 1952. Dr. Wenger served on the Ohio Board of Health in 1962 and was a charter member and past president of the Columbus Academy of Veterinary Medicine. In 1983, he received a Distinguished Alumnus Award from The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine. Dr. Wenger served as a first lieutenant in the Marine Corps during World War II. He was a longtime member of the Lions Club. Dr. Wenger’s wife, Gloria, and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to Wellstar Community Hospice, 4040 Hospital West Drive, Austell, GA 30106.