AVMF director to transform funding sources

Published on December 15, 2006
information-circle This article is more than 3 years old

Lisa TommeleinLisa Tommelein will serve in the newly created position of director of development at the American Veterinary Medical Foundation. She will be responsible for the overall fundraising activities of the AVMF, including identifying and cultivating funding sources for operating and program funds.

With nearly 20 years of fundraising and development experience, Tommelein said one of her primary goals at the AVMF will be to transform funding sources.

"Historically, 80 percent of contributions to AVMF have been major gifts donated by corporate and organizational donors, with the remaining 20 percent donated by individuals," Tommelein said. "By comparison, in 2005, 75 percent of the $248 billion in total charitable contributions made in the U.S. came from individuals.

"The AVMF must transform our funding sources to match national patterns through expanding our donor base of individual veterinarians and consumers. The AVMF will expand support from individual veterinarians via targeted, personal approaches as well as peer-to-peer colleague appeals."

Prior to joining the AVMF, Tommelein was director of development at the Alliance Française De Chicago, a nonprofit French cultural and learning center in Chicago. She also served as director of annual giving and leadership gift development at the Alexian Brothers Health System Foundation from 2001-2004.

Tommelein graduated from the University of Michigan with a Bachelor of Arts degree in political science. Following graduation, she held positions at such organizations as the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation International, DePaul University as the assistant director of annual giving, and The Cradle, an adoption organization, as a director of major gifts and associate director of development.

"The AVMF is pleased to be able to announce that Lisa Tommelein has come to work for us as the director of development. We have been searching for an individual who has the background and experience to lead the AVMF in a forward direction with its development projects," said Dr. Tracy Rhodes, chair of the AVMF. "Lisa has outstanding qualifications in the nonprofit arena and comes with excellent experience and expertise."

The AVMF is dedicated to making sure relief and assistance are in place for animals affected by disasters of any kind. Since September 2005, increased donor support has enabled the AVMF to award $1.2 million to grant recipients across the country in fulfillment of this mission.