AVMA Honor Roll Member
Robert G. Carlson
Dr. Carlson (MSU ’52), 84, Kalamazoo, Mich., died July 4, 2006. Prior to retirement in 1988, he headed the pathology department at Upjohn Company in Kalamazoo. During his career with Upjohn, Dr. Carlson traveled to Japan, where he helped establish a laboratory. He was a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Pathologists, and a member of the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine and the Society of Toxicology. A Navy veteran of World War II, Dr. Carlson served as a B-26 pilot, attaining the rank of captain. His wife, Margaret, and two daughters survive him.
Sam H. Dorfman
Dr. Dorfman (AUB ’39), 89, Bronx, N.Y., died Sept. 1, 2006. Prior to retirement in the late 1980s, he owned a practice in Bronx. Early in his career, Dr. Dorfman practiced large animal medicine in Kentucky. He was a past president of the VMA of New York City, a charter member of the Bronx County VA, and representative of the VMA of NYC on the executive board of the New York State VMS for eight years.
A veteran of World War II, Dr. Dorfman served as a meat inspector in the Army. He is survived by a son and a daughter.
Thomas S. Gerald III
Dr. Gerald (TEX ’71), 59, Amarillo, Texas, died July 5, 2006. He owned Acoma Pine Animal and Bird Clinic in Amarillo since 1973. A member of the Texas VMA, Dr. Gerald served on its board of directors from 1997-2002. He was also a member of the Amarillo VMA and Texas Academy of Veterinary Medicine.
Dr. Gerald was vice president/president-elect of Amarillo Rotary West. His wife, Debra; three sons; and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, 800 W. Third Ave., Amarillo, TX 79101; The Humane Society, 3501 S. Osage St., Amarillo, TX 79103; or Animal Rescue Shelter of Amarillo, 12500 S. Washington St., Amarillo, TX 79118.
Eugene R. Hussey
Dr. Hussey (MSU ’52), 85, Conway, N.H., died Aug. 21, 2006. Retired for two years, he founded Hussey’s Veterinary Hospital in North Conway in 1952. Dr. Hussey also established the Eastern Slope Farm in 1965 and a practice in Gorham, N.H., in 1967, and showed Percheron horses.
He was an Army veteran of World War II, attaining the rank of captain. A past president of the North Conway Rotary Club, Dr. Hussey served on the Conway Planning Board. In 2003, he was the 42nd recipient of the New Hampshire Farm Bureau Federation’s annual Profile Award, for distinguished service to agriculture and rural life. Dr. Hussey’s wife, Elizabeth, and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to the First Church of Christ Congregational, P.O. Box 401, North Conway, NH 03860.
Ted L. James
Dr. James (GA ’57), 74, Salisbury, N.C., died April 15, 2006. Prior to retirement in 2005, he owned James Animal Hospital in Salisbury. A past president of the North Carolina VMA, Dr. James helped establish North Carolina State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine. Active with the Lions Club, he had served as president of the Salisbury Club and as a district governor. The Salisbury Club named Dr. James its Lion of the Year in 1982, and Community Man of the Year in 1989.
His wife, Nancy; two sons; two daughters; a stepson; and a stepdaughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the Touching Tomorrow Today Fund, First Baptist Church, 223 N. Fulton St., Salisbury, NC 28144; North Carolina Lions Foundation, Camp Dogwood Drive, P.O. Box 39, Sherrills Ford, NC 28673; or the Humane Society of Rowan County, P.O. Box 295, Salisbury, NC 28145.
Charles V. Lang Jr.
Dr. Lang (AUB ’50), 85, Biloxi, Miss., died April 17, 2006. He was the founder of Coast Animal Clinic in Biloxi, practicing there until recently. A past president of the Mississippi VMA, Dr. Lang served as Mississippi’s delegate to the AVMA House of Delegates from 1982-1995.
He was an Air Force veteran of World War II and the Vietnam War. Dr. Lang received the Purple Heart, the Distinguished Flying Cross, and two air medals. His two sons and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the Charles and Margie Lang Scholarship Fund, Cottage Hill Christian Academy, 7355 Creekwood Drive, Mobile, AL 36695.
Robert W. McNabb
Dr. McNabb (KSU ’51), 86, Hemet, Calif., died Sept. 25, 2006. From 1972 until retirement in 1986, he served as a federal meat inspector. Earlier in his career, Dr. McNabb practiced in Superior, Neb. He was a life member of the Nebraska VMA. Dr. McNabb was also a member of the American Legion, having served in the Army as a meat and dairy inspector from 1942-1946. He attained the rank of sergeant. Dr. McNabb’s wife, Marie, and a son survive him.
Clarence W. Meeusen
Dr. Meeusen (ISU ’42), 89, Cedar Grove, Wis., died Aug. 23, 2006. He founded Cedar Grove Veterinary Clinic in the mid-1970s, practicing there until retirement in 1981. Earlier in his career, Dr. Meeusen had a home-based practice in Cedar Grove. He was a member of the Wisconsin VMA.
An Army veteran, Dr. Meeusen served in the China-Burma-India Theatre from 1943-1945. He was a member of the American Legion. Dr. Meeusen was past village president in Cedar Grove, and a member of the Cedar Grove School Board and Kiwanis Club. His three sons and a daughter survive him. Dr. Meeusen’s son-in-law, Dr. Ronald D. Hinze (ISU ’76), operates Cedar Grove Veterinary Clinic. Memorials may be made to First Reformed Church, 237 S. Main St., Cedar Grove, WI 53013.
Charles I. Peckenpaugh
Dr. Peckenpaugh (WSU ’50), 82, University Place, Wash., died July 17, 2006. He owned Button Veterinary Hospital in Tacoma, Wash., from 1950-1984. Dr. Peckenpaugh was a Navy veteran of World War II. His wife, Dorothy; a daughter; and two sons survive him.
Tedmar D. Rossing
Dr. Rossing (ISU ’43), 86, Livermore, Iowa, died Aug. 26, 2006. He established a large animal practice in Livermore in 1947. During his career, Dr. Rossing also worked for the Department of Agriculture in Iowa and Nebraska. He was a member of the Iowa VMA. Dr. Rossing served in the Army Veterinary Corps during World War II, attaining the rank of captain. He was a member of the American Legion, Livermore City Council, and Livermore Fire Department.
Dr. Rossing is survived by his wife, Ella, and two daughters. Memorials may be made to Mayo Clinic (toward melanoma cancer research), 200 1st St. S.W., Rochester, MN 55905; Hospice of Humboldt County, 1000 15th St. N., Humboldt, IA 50548; or St. Olaf Lutheran Church (toward the elevator fund), 307 Rossing Ave., Bode, IA 50519.
Terryl K. Schmitt
Dr. Schmitt (KSU ’69), 62, Great Bend, Kan., died Aug. 17, 2006. A partner at the Ark Valley Veterinary Hospital in Great Bend, he practiced there for 28 years. Earlier, Dr. Schmitt practiced at Hoisington Veterinary Hospital in Hoisington, Kan., for nine years. He was a member of the Kansas VMA, 4-H Club, and National FFA Organization. Dr. Schmitt served as a judge for the Pony of America Association.
His wife, Jeanne, and two sons survive him. Memorials may be made to the First United Methodist Church Organ Fund, 467 W. 3rd St., Hoisington, KS 67544; or Great Bend Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1560 K-96 Highway, Great Bend, KS 67530.
Robert E. Schmoll
Dr. Schmoll (MO ’57), 79, Branson, Mo., died Oct. 6, 2006. He practiced in Branson from 1959-1989. Dr. Schmoll’s wife, Barbara, and a daughter survive him.
Ernest A. Siegel
Dr. Siegel (KSU ’42), 86, San Mateo, Calif., died June 22, 2006. Prior to retirement, he owned Avenues Pet Hospital in San Francisco. During his career, Dr. Siegel also practiced at the San Francisco Humane Society; Skyline Pet Hospital in Daly City, Calif.; and Westborough Pet Hospital in San Francisco. He was a member of the California VMA. Dr. Siegel served in the Army Veterinary Corps during World War II, attaining the rank of 1st lieutenant. His wife, Norma, and two daughters survive him.
Paul E. Steffen
Dr. Steffen (OSU ’54), 83, Carmel, Ind., died June 17, 2006. From 1955 until retirement in 1990, he owned Westfield Animal Clinic in Westfield, Ind. Dr. Steffen also owned DRS Morgan Horse Farm. He was a member of the Indiana and Central Indiana VMAs, and a charter member of the Westfield Indiana Chamber of Commerce. A World War II veteran, Dr. Steffen served in the Army. He is survived by his wife, Julia; two sons; and two daughters. Memorials may be made to the Alzheimer’s Association, 9135 N. Meridian St. Suite B-4, Indianapolis, IN 46209.
Jack T. Tumlin
Dr. Tumlin (GA ’53), 88, Cocoa, Fla., died Sept. 14, 2006. He was an expert in poultry medicine. From 1987 until retirement in 1991, Dr. Tumlin was director of technical services at Vineland Laboratories in Vineland, N.J. Following graduation, he worked for Merck & Company as a sales veterinarian in Rahway, N.J., for two years. Dr. Tumlin then served as an instructor of veterinary bacteriology and public health at the University of Minnesota School of Veterinary Medicine. From 1958-1959, he headed the poultry diagnostic laboratory at the University of Georgia School of Veterinary Medicine.
Dr. Tumlin next served as manager of veterinary research and service, and veterinary service field operations, for Central Soya Company in Decatur, Ind., from 1959-1965. He then joined the faculty of the University of Georgia, heading the section of avian medicine in the Department of Medicine and Surgery for seven years. Dr. Tumlin began his career with Vineland Laboratories in 1972, and after working for Anitox Corporation in Buford, Ga, and directing the Arkansas Livestock and Poultry Diagnostic Laboratory in Springdale, Ark., returned to Vineland in 1987.
He was a past member of the board of directors of the American Association of Avian Pathologists. Dr. Tumlin’s other memberships included the Georgia VMA, Poultry Science Association, United States Animal Health Association, Society of American Bacteriologists, American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians, World Poultry Veterinary Association, Southeastern Poultry and Egg Association, and Georgia and Arkansas poultry federations.
In 1988, he received the AAAP’s first C.A. Bottorff Award, for contributions to poultry health programs in North America. Dr. Tumlin was a Navy veteran of World War II. His wife, Dolores; three daughters; a stepdaughter; and a stepson survive him. Memorials may be made to His Mansion, P.O. Box 40, Hillsborough, NH 03244; or Be His Witness, 10708 Forest Run Drive, Bradenton, FL 34211.
Floyd C. Votaw
Dr. Votaw (PHI ’40), 98, La Habra Heights, Calif., died Aug. 4, 2006. He served as Los Angeles County veterinarian from 1966-1973. Following graduation, Dr. Votaw worked as a veterinary meat inspector for the state of California in Tulare County. From 1942-1962, he served in the Army, attaining the rank of lieutenant colonel. Dr. Votaw then returned to Tulare County as state veterinarian until 1966.
In later years, he volunteered with World Concern, the Christian Veterinary Mission, Institute of Cultural Affairs, and Heifer Project International, traveling to several countries, including Korea, Haiti, the Philippines, Nepal, Cuba, and Brazil. Dr. Votaw is survived by his wife, Jean; two sons; and a daughter. Memorials may be made to CRISTA, Christian Veterinary Mission, 19303 Fremont Ave. N., P.O. Box 330303, Seattle, WA