Cases of dogs ingesting glue increase

Published on
information-circle This article is more than 3 years old

An increasing number of dogs are ingesting polyurethane glue, according to the Animal Poison Control Center of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

So far this year, the APCC has managed approximately 140 cases involving exposure of animals to expanding adhesives containing diphenylmethane diisocyanate. Almost all of the cases involved dogs. Last year, the center managed about 135 cases total—up from 33 expanding adhesives cases in 2002.

"Any number of factors could be contributing to the increase, including the growing popularity of do-it-yourself projects or the increased use of this type of adhesive," said Dr. Steven R. Hansen, senior vice president and board-certified veterinary toxicologist at the center.

"Whatever the reason, due to the rising number of cases, the importance of alerting companion animal owners to the dangers of expanding polyurethane glue products is clear."

As diphenylmethane diisocyanate may not always be listed on the product label, pet owners should consider any expanding adhesive product a potential hazard, and should keep the products out of the reach of their pets.

"A dog consuming even small amounts of adhesive containing diphenylmethane diisocyanate can experience serious problems as the product expands in the warm, moist environment of the stomach, forming a porous mass of glue," Dr. Hansen said. "This mass can block the gastrointestinal tract and cause a life-threatening surgical emergency."

To learn more about other products poisonous to pets, visit the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center by logging on to and clicking on Animal Poison Control in the left-hand column.