|Memorial contributions to the American Veterinary Medical Foundation are gratefully accepted. When making such contributions, please indicate the name and address of the individual who should receive notification of your donation. Contact: AVMF 1931 N. Meacham Road, Suite 100 Schaumburg, IL 60173-4360 (800) 248-2862, Ext. 6689 www.avmf.org|
AVMA Honor Roll Member
|D. D. Albert |
Dr. Albert (KSU '59), 76, Phoenix, died April 2, 2003. From 1963 until retirement in 1991, he practiced in Sterling, Ill. Earlier in his career, Dr. Albert practiced in Topeka, Kan., and Dallas. He was a member of the American Animal Hospital Association. A World War II veteran, Dr. Albert served in the Army Air Corps. He attained the rank of sergeant.
Dr. Albert's wife, Eileen; a son; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the Hospice of the Valley, 1510 East Flower St., Phoenix, AZ 85014.
|Otis B. Beard |
Dr. Beard (TEX '56), 77, Navasota, Texas, died March 19, 2003. He was a Limousin cattle rancher since 1985. Prior to that, Dr. Beard practiced veterinary medicine for 29 years. He was a member of the Texas VMA.
A World War II veteran, Dr. Beard served in the Army. Memorials may be made to the First United Methodist Church, 616 Holland St., Navasota, TX 77868; or the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd., Houston, TX 77030.
|Martin Cherin |
Dr. Cherin (MSU '42), 84, Southfield, Mich., died Feb. 27, 2003. Prior to retirement, he owned a practice in Detroit for 35 years. During his career, Dr. Cherin had also worked as a meat inspector for the military. He is survived by a son and two daughters. Memorials may be made to the Make A Wish Foundation, 3390 Pinetree Road, Suite 20, Lansing, MI 48911; or the Michigan Humane Society, 3600 W. Auburn Road, Rochester Hills, MI 48309.
|Richard W. Cook |
Dr. Cook (OSU '54), 76, Cortland, Ohio, died March 20, 2003. Following graduation and until retirement in 1994, he owned a practice in Cortland. Dr. Cook was an Army veteran of World War II. He was a member of the American Legion Post and The Ohio State University Veterinary Medicine Alumni Society.
Dr. Cook's wife, Betty; three sons; three stepsons; and a stepdaughter survive him. Memorials may be made to Hospice of the Valley, East Liverpool, OH 43920; or the Bolindale Christian Church Memorial Fund, 2749 Fairview Ave. S.E., Warren, OH 44484.
|Charles F. Coussens |
Dr. Coussens (MSU '60), 70, Russellville, Ark., died Feb. 20, 2003. A large animal practitioner, he owned Danville Veterinary Clinic in Danville, Ark., for 32 years. Instrumental in creating Arkansas' equine infectious anemia law, which requires testing for the disease, Dr. Coussens owned two mobile laboratories that conducted the tests. Following graduation, he practiced in Mishawaka, Ind., for 10 years.
Dr. Coussens bred Quarter Horses for 20 years, recently founding the Arkansas Equine Foundation. He was a member of the Arkansas VMA. An Army veteran, Dr. Coussens attained the rank of 1st lieutenant. He was actively involved with the 4-H Club.
Dr. Coussens is survived by his wife, Dorothy; three sons; and three daughters. Memorials may be made to the Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine, East Lansing, MI 48824.
|Herbert Hardwick |
Dr. Hardwick (ILL '64), 64, Hebron, Ind., died March 5, 2003. He was the owner and president of Hebron Animal Hospital for 21 years. Prior to that, Dr. Hardwick practiced at Bardens Animal Clinic in Lowell, Ind., for 18 years.
He was a member of the Indiana VMA and a past president of the Calumet Area VMA. Dr. Hardwick was also a member of the American Association of Zoo Veterinarians, the Association of Reptile and Amphibian Veterinarians, and the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior. He served on the Association of Avian Veterinarians State Liaison Committee. Dr. Hardwick was a board member of the Lake County Animal Control and the Better Business Bureau of Northwest Indiana.
His wife, Marilyn; two sons; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to Trinity Lutheran Church, 631 West Commercial Ave., Lowell, IN 46356; Lowell Public Library, 1505 East Commercial Ave., Lowell, IN 46356; or the Companion Animal Memorial Fund, University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine, 3237 VMBSB, 2001 S. Lincoln Ave., Urbana, IL 61802.
|Jacob Levenson |
Dr. Levenson (UP '51), 76, Oxford, N.C., died Dec. 15, 2002. He owned the Animal Hospital in Oxford since 1952. Dr. Levenson was a member of the North Carolina VMA. A World War II veteran, he served in the Army. Dr. Levenson's wife, Betty; two sons; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the North Carolina VMA, 1611 Jones Franklin Road, Suite 108, Raleigh, NC 27606-3376.
|William W. Putney |
Dr. Putney (AUB '43), 83, Woodland Hills, Calif., died March 18, 2003. Prior to retirement, he owned a practice in the San Fernando Valley in California. Earlier in his career, Dr. Putney was a Marine Corps officer who trained working dogs in Guam during World War II. Following the war, he became chief veterinarian of the Marine Corps.
Dr. Putney was a past president and distinguished life member of the California VMA and the Southern California VMA. In 1965, the CVMA named him Veterinarian of the Year. He served as trustee of the AVMA GHLIT. Dr. Putney also served as commissioner of the Los Angeles City Department of Animal Regulation and as director of the Los Angeles American Red Cross. He was a major architect of the public health antirabies control plan, begun in the city of Los Angeles in 1955, and later adopted by the World Health Organization.
Dr. Putney was a past president of the Winnetka Chamber of Commerce and a past vice president of the West Valley Associate Chambers of Commerce. He was the recipient of the 1971 Fernando Award, for community service to the San Fernando Valley. In 1995, Dr. Putney received the Marine Corps' Silver Star. He published his book titled "Always Faithful: A Memoir of the Marine Dogs of World War II," in 2001.
Dr. Putney's wife, Betsy, and two sons survive him.
|Melvin P. Roberts |
Dr. Roberts (TEX '42), 83, Ferndale, Calif., died Jan. 15, 2003. From 1948 until retirement in 1984, he co-owned a practice in Ferndale. A World War II veteran, Dr. Roberts served as a captain in the Army. He went on to become a major in the Army Reserve. Dr. Roberts served on the Ferndale City Council and the Humboldt County Fair Board. He was a 50-year member of the American Legion.
Dr. Roberts is survived by two daughters and a son. Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society, P.O. Box 102454, Atlanta, GA 30368-2454; Ferndale Library, 807 Main, Ferndale, CA 95536; or the Ferndale Museum, 515 Shaw Ave., Ferndale, CA 95536.
|Guy L. Shultz |
Dr. Shultz (ONT '39), 85, Boiling Springs, Pa., died Feb. 23, 2003. From 1939 until retirement in 1980, he owned Northside Veterinary Clinic in Carlisle, Pa. Dr. Shultz is survived by his wife, Verna, and two daughters. Memorials may be made to the Pinnacle Health Hospice, 3705 Elmwood Drive, Harrisburg, PA 17110.
|Eugene B. Skelley |
Dr. Skelley (ILL '75), 54, Burlington, Iowa, died March 18, 2003. He owned Summer Street Animal Clinic in Burlington since 1977. Prior to that, Dr. Skelley practiced in Fort Madison, Iowa. He was a member of the Iowa VMA.
Dr. Skelley served in the Army Reserve. He was on the board of directors of the Farmers Merchant Bank in Burlington. Dr. Skelley was a member of the Rotary Club, and a past president of the New Crystal Lake Hunt Club. His wife, Cindy, and two sons survive him. Memorials may be made to the First Christian Church, 1221 Park Ave., Burlington, IA 52601.
|William R. Stevens |
Dr. Stevens (TEX '55), 70, Palestine, Texas, died Jan. 18, 2003. He worked part-time at the Palestine Veterinary Hospital. During his career, Dr. Stevens practiced in Anderson County, Texas, for more than 45 years, many of them in partnership with his brother-in-law, Dr. Charlie D. Williams (TEX '61).
He served on the Palestine Independent School District Board of Trustees for 12 years, and on the Lone Pine Water Supply Corporation Board. Dr. Stevens is survived by his wife, Helen, and three sons.