Your assistance is needed to ensure timely publication of death notices. At your earliest convenience, please report the death of a colleague or relative to the AVMA News Staff via a toll-free phone call at (800) 248-2862, ext 232; e-mail at newsavma [dot] org; or fax at (847) 925-9239.
AVMA honor roll member
| ||Harold E. Bain |
Dr. Bain (ISU '45), 78, Climax Springs, Mo, died Feb 15, 2001. He served in the Army for three years as port veterinarian in the Philippines-Ryukyus Command Pac theatre, Manila, and attained the rank of captain. In 1948, Dr. Bain established a mixed practice in Cameron, Mo. He shifted to industrial veterinary medicine when he joined Norwich Agricultural Products, a division of the Norwich Pharmacal Company, as field technical service veterinarian in 1970. In 1976, Dr. Bain moved to Vigortone Ag Products, where he remained until 1987.
Dr. Bain was a member of the Missouri VMA, the North Central Missouri VMA, and the American Association of Industrial Veterinarians. The AAIV named him Industrial Veterinarian of the Year in 1990.
Memorials may be made to the Dogwood Animal Shelter, Hwy 5 & 7 S, Camdenton, MO 65020, or the Shriners Hospital for Children, 2001 S Lindbergh Blvd, St Louis, MO 63131.
| ||Eldon C. Barclay (M) |
Dr. Barclay (MSU '58), 66, West Branch, Mich, died Feb 20, 2001. In 1959, he established the Fraser Veterinary Hospital, a mixed practice, in Fraser, Mich. Eleven years later, Dr. Barclay moved to his hometown of Almont, Mich, continuing his practice there. In 1983, he settled in West Branch, where he worked until 2000.
Dr. Barclay was a member of the Northeast Michigan VMA, the Michigan VMA, and the Northern Michigan Sheep Improvement and Marketing Association. Memorials may be made to Hospice of Helping Hands, 335 E Houghton Ave, West Branch, MI 48661, or Churchill United Methodist Church, 501 E State Rd, West Branch, MI 48661.
| ||J. Guthrie Blue |
Dr. Blue (OSU '50), 80, Tucson, Ariz, died Nov 20, 2000. Retired in 1995, he spent most part of his career with the City of Los Angeles Department of Animal Regulation. Previous to that, Dr. Blue served as a relief veterinarian.
He served on the Arizona Board of Veterinary Examiners from 1976-1982. Dr. Blue was a member of the Colorado VMA and had been a member of the Southern California VMA. A World War II veteran, Dr. Blue attained the rank of lieutenant commander in the Navy.
| ||Edwin W. Branaman |
Dr. Branaman (ISU '54), 80, Fort Wayne, Ind, died Feb 16, 2001. Retired, he was in mixed practice. Dr. Branaman was a veteran of World War II.
| ||John W. Carey |
Dr. Carey (ISU '41), 82, West Liberty, Iowa, died Feb 12, 2001. He owned a mixed practice and worked with his father, Dr. James C. Carey (ISU '19). Dr. Carey was vital in the planning, developing, and dedicating of the Living History Veterinary Infirmary in Des Moines, Iowa.
In 1970, Dr. Carey was elected vice president of the Iowa VMA, a position once occupied by his father. He went on to become president in 1972. In 1977, Dr. Carey was named Veterinarian of the Year by the Iowa VMA. He was also an executive board member of the Eastern Iowa VMA. A World War II veteran, Dr. Carey served in Australia, New Guinea, India, and the Philippines as a captain in the Army Veterinary Corps.
Memorials may be made to the West Liberty Public Library, 400 N Spencer St, West Liberty, IA 52776, or the West Liberty United Methodist Church, 113 E 5th St, West Liberty, IA 52776.
| ||James L. Chambers |
Dr. Chambers (AUB '50), 80, Montgomery, Ala, died Oct 29, 2000. He owned the Chambers Animal Clinic, a small animal practice in Montgomery, which he ran until he retired in 1985. Dr. Chambers was a member of the Alabama VMA and served as president in 1965. In 1979, he was the recipient of its Distinguished Service Award. Dr. Chambers also served on many of the Alabama VMA's committees. He was a member of the AAHA and the Central Alabama VMA.
A World War II veteran, Dr. Chambers attained the rank of lieutenant.
| ||Charles W. DeLand |
Dr. DeLand (MSU '36), 88, Ida, Mich, died Feb 7, 2001. Following graduation, he worked for the USDA as part of the brucellosis eradication program in northern Michigan. Dr. DeLand's career with the USDA then took him to Chicago, where he inspected slaughterhouses. In 1941, he joined the Army Veterinary Corps. Dr. DeLand served in Australia, the Philippines, and New Guinea and attained the rank of major. Subsequent to that, he established a mixed practice in Ida, where he worked until 1979.
Dr. DeLand was a life member of the Michigan VMA. His son, Dr. Brian DeLand (MSU '78), has continued the practice in Ida since 1979. Memorials may be made to the Ida Branch/Monroe County Library, 3016 Lewis Ave, Ida, MI 48140.
| ||David G. Evans |
Dr. Evans (LSU '78), 49, New Marshfield, Ohio, died March 1, 2001. Dr. Evans operated the Airline Veterinary Clinic and the Athens satellite clinic in Athens, Ohio, mixed practices he established in 1973 and 1994, respectively. He also served as veterinarian for the Athens Humane Society and loved to work his farm. Dr. Evans was a member of the Ohio VMA.
Memorials may be made to the Athens County Humane Society, 8500 Hoon Dr, Athens, OH 45701, or the American Heart Association, 124 N Jefferson St, Dayton, OH 45402.
| ||Malin R. Gurski |
Dr. Gurski (CHU '87), 39, Sterling, Va, died Jan 16, 2001. She was a small animal practitioner. A member of the Thai Veterinary Medical Association, Dr. Gurski was valedictorian of her veterinary class and personally received her diploma from the king of Thailand.
| ||Robert C. Lawrence Jr |
Dr. Lawrence (GA '51), 77, Decatur, Ga, died Dec 24, 2000. Retired in 1985, he continued to do relief work until his death. Dr. Lawrence had been a partner at the Dearborn Animal Hospital in Decatur, a mixed practice. In 1964, he founded the Lawrence Animal Hospital in Atlanta.
A World War II veteran, Dr. Lawrence served in the Navy. Memorials may be made to the Arthritis Foundation, 550 Pharr Rd, Ste 550, Atlanta, GA 30305 or the American Heart Association, National Center, 7272 Greenville Ave, Dallas, TX 75231.
| ||William H. Martin Jr |
Dr. Martin (GA '57), 70, Charlotte, NC, died Dec 11, 2000. He owned a small animal practice.
| ||Larry E. Moudy |
Dr. Moudy (MO '73), 60, Mount Vernon, Ind, died Feb 4, 2001. He owned the Posey County Animal Clinic, a small animal practice in Mount Vernon. Dr. Moudy was a member of the Indiana VMA and the Southwestern Indiana VMA.
Memorials may be made to the Posey County Humane Society, c/o Martha Moudy, 2911 E Chestnut, Evansville, IN 47714.
| ||Larry A. Phillips |
Dr. Phillips (TEX '66), 58, Woodville, Texas, died Dec 9, 2000. He owned the Dewberry Creek Animal Hospital, a small animal practice in Woodville. Dr. Phillips served as mayor of Woodville in 1996 and 1998. He was a former member of the city council and president of the Tyler County Chamber of Commerce. Dr. Phillips was a veteran of the Army.
| ||Leo E. Rohlfing |
Dr. Rohlfing (MO '53), 73, Hermann, Mo, died Dec 1, 2000. He owned a mixed practice.
Dr. Smith was a charter member and diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons. In 1964 he was Colorado Veterinarian of the Year and received the Morris Animal Foundation Award. Colorado State and its College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences each named him an honor alumnus in 1970.
| ||James A. Sasmor |
Dr. Sasmor (COR '38), 84, New York, died Dec 22, 2000. A small animal practitioner, Dr. Sasmor worked for the USDA in the Bureau of Animal Industry from 1938-1946. He then joined the Speyer Animal Hospital, where he practiced for two years. Dr. Sasmor was employed by the New York Department of Health from 1948-1953. In 1953, he established his own practice in New York on East 96th Street and worked there until his retirement in 1991.
His brother, Dr. Daniel P. Sasmore (COR '39), is a veterinarian in California. Memorials may be made to the Jewish National Fund (for trees), 42 E 69th St, New York, NY 10021, or the Actors' Fund of America, 729 Seventh Ave, 10th Floor, New York, NY 10019.
| ||Jack J. Stockton |
Dr. Stockton (OSU '43), 80, Bradenton, Fla, died March 10, 2001. After three years in the Army, Dr. Stockton joined the faculty of Michigan State University. During his 20-year career there, he served as chairman of the Department of Microbiology and Public Health for five years. In 1968, Dr. Stockton was named associate dean of academic affairs at what was then called the School of Veterinary Science and Medicine at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Ind. He went on to become the school's third dean in 1971, a position he held until he retired in 1985. Dr. Stockton was also the associate director for veterinary medical research at Purdue's Agricultural Experiment Station. He resumed his career for a year in 1986 when he was named interim dean of the Mississippi State University College of Veterinary Medicine.
Dr. Stockton served as president of the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges and the Indiana Public Health Association. He was named a Distinguished Alumnus of The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine. Dr. Stockton edited the book "A Century of Service," a history of veterinary medicine in Indiana, which was published in 1984, the same year he was named Indiana Veterinarian of the Year.
The class of 1971 at Purdue's School of Veterinary Medicine has raised funds over the past five years to endow a veterinary lectureship in honor of Dr. Stockton and his wife, Naomi. Memorials toward the lectureship may be sent to the School of Veterinary Medicine, Development & Alumni Relations Office, 1240 Lynn Hall, Room 1177A, West Lafayette, IN 47907. Checks should be made payable to the Purdue Foundation with a notation that the contribution is for the class of '71/Stockton Lectureship.
| ||Verlon D. Vallery |
Dr. Vallery (MIN '65), 63, De Smet, SD, died Feb 8, 2001. A predominantly large animal practitioner, he had clinics in De Smet and Arlington, SD. Dr. Vallery was a member of the South Dakota VMA.