| ||John R. Annis |
Dr. Annis (COL '50), 82, San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, died Nov 12, 2000. A small animal practitioner, Dr. Annis practiced in Denver until 1957, when he joined the surgical faculty at the New York State College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell University. In 1960, Dr. Annis accepted the position of first director of small animal clinics in the school of Veterinary Medicine at Purdue University. He moved to Mexico in 1974 and was a member of the surgical faculty at the veterinary school of the Autonomous National University of Mexico, Mexico City until his retirement in 1984. He practiced surgery until 1999.
A World War II veteran of the Philippines, Dr. Annis served in the Army Veterinary Corps from 1940-1945. He was a charter member of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons and served as its president in 1971. Dr. Annis, along with medical illustrator A. R.Allen, published the textbook The Atlas of Canine Surgery in 1967.
| ||Wilford S. Bailey |
Dr. Bailey (AUB '42), 79, Auburn, Ala, died Oct 7, 2000. Before he retired in 1992, Dr. Bailey had a 50-year academic career at Auburn University. Throughout his career he taught in the School of Veterinary Medicine at Auburn. Internationally reputed for his research and teaching in parasitology, Dr. Bailey became the coordinator of research and associate dean of the Auburn graduate school in 1962. He took leave from Auburn in 1972-1974 to work at the National Institutes of Health as chief of the parasitology and medical entomology branch.
Dr. Bailey served as president of Auburn University in 1984 after a term as interim president in 1983-1984. He had the distinction of being Auburn's first university professor after being named president emeritus. During that time, he focused on athletic regulations and academic standards, and served as president of the National Collegiate Athletic Association.
| ||Louis Carlin |
Dr. Carlin (OSU '42), 87, Dana Point, Calif, died Sept 22, 2000. He owned Inglewood Animal Hospital in California. Dr. Carlin was a life member of the Southern California VMA. He was a retired captain in the Army Veterinary Corps. Memorials may be made to City of Hope, Prostate Cancer Research Center, PO Box 513477, Los Angeles, CA 90051.
| ||Kathleen Collette |
Dr. Collette (FL '82), 43, Fort Lauderdale, Fla, died Sept 27, 2000. A small animal practitioner, Dr. Collette established the Capitol Plaza Animal Hospital in Fort Lauderdale, where she worked until her retirement in 1993. Prior to that, Dr. Collette was a relief veterinarian.
| ||Hyman J. Harkavy |
Dr. Harkavy (KSU '38), 89, Bartlesville, Okla, died Oct 24, 2000. He practiced in Coffeyville, Kan, and in Nowata, Okla, until he enlisted in the Army in 1942. A World War II veteran of New Guinea and Australia, Dr. Harkavy attained the rank of major and was assigned to the staff of Gen Douglas MacArthur. On his return to Bartlesville, he resumed a mixed animal practice, and eventually operated the Harkavy Animal Hospital and a related boarding facility and pet supply business until his retirement several years ago. He was a member of the AAHA and the Oklahoma VMA.
Hubert L. Jasmin
Dr. Jasmin (ONT '51), 74, Westmount, Canada, died Oct 6, 2000. He was a small animal practitioner. Dr. Jasmin had owned the Guy Street clinic in Westmount and practiced there until he retired in 2000. He had practiced his entire career at the clinic, which his father, a veterinarian, had established in 1937. Two of Dr. Jasmin's brothers were also veterinarians.
| ||Elton K. Lamb |
Dr. Lamb (TEX '64), 59, Waco, Texas, died Nov 3, 2000. He owned a small animal practice, Like Air Animal Hospital in Waco, until his retirement in 2000. Dr. Lamb was the veterinarian for the Cameron Park Zoo in Waco until 1999. A member of the Texas VMA, he was the veterinarian for Baylor University in Waco and served on its animal care and use committee. Dr. Lamb served in the Air Force from 1964-1966 and retired as a captain.
| ||Charles R. Leahy |
Dr. Leahy (COR '42), 86, Whitney Point, NY, died Oct 13, 2000. He owned a mixed practice until his retirement in 1995. Active in local public service, Dr. Leahy held office as mayor of the village of Whitney Point. Memorials may be made to the charity of one's choice.
| ||Edward J. Lundquist |
Dr. Lundquist (BOL '79), 51, Newton, NJ, died Sept 16, 2000. He owned Andover Animal Hospital, a small animal practice in New Jersey. Dr. Lundquist was a member of the Metropolitan New Jersey VMA, the New Jersey VMA, and AAHA. Memorials may be made to the American Heart Association and the American Cancer Society.
| ||Paul T. Miller |
Dr. Miller (MSU '44), 78, Williamsburg, Mich, died Oct 6, 2000. A mixed animal practitioner, Dr. Miller co-owned Miller Animal Clinic, where he worked until his retirement in 1989. Earlier in his career, he practiced in Grand Ledge, Mich. Dr. Miller was a member of the Michigan VMA. His son, Dr. Gregory T. Miller (MSU '78), is a small animal practitioner in Minnesota. Memorials may be made to Meadow Brook medical care facility at 4543 S M 88, Bellaire, MI 49615.
| ||Jacob P. Richards |
Dr. Richards (OSU '41), 82, Venice, Fla, died Oct 13, 2000. A member of the Michigan VMA, he owned a small animal clinic in Battle Creek, Mich, until his retirement in 1982. Dr. Richards was an Air Force veteran of World War II.
Vance L. Sanger
Dr. Sanger (OSU '49), 83, Tucson, Ariz, died Oct 12, 2000. From 1965-1981 he taught pathology and did research at Michigan State University. Prior to that, Dr. Sanger taught at the Ohio State University and was involved in research at the Ohio agricultural experiment station at Wooster. He was a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Pathologists.
Memorials may be made to Huntsdale Cemetery Association, Huntsdale Church of Brethren, 170 Church Rd, Carlisle, PA 17013.
William M. Santoro
Dr. Santoro (KSU '49), 77, Cornwall, NY, died Oct 29, 2000. He owned an equine practice in Maryland until his retirement in 1994. Dr. Santoro served as Baltimore City mounted police unit veterinarian from the '70s until 1982. He worked as track veterinarian at Delaware Park, Md, and at Pimlico Racetrack in Catonsville, Md, in the early '70s. Dr. Santoro was a member of the New York VMS and the Hudson Valley VMA, and an honor roll member of the AAEP. A World War II veteran, he served in the Army Air Corps and was a member of the New York Military Academy Troop D reactivation committee to reestablish a cavalry unit at the academy.
Memorials may be made to Canine Sanctuary Fund Raiser, 2 Riverbank Lane, Cornwall on Hudson, NY 12520.
Kent K. Schlaman
Dr. Schlaman (ISU '80), 45, Sidney, Neb, died Oct 25, 2000. He practiced in Gilman, Iowa, for two years before moving back to Sidney, where he continued his practice on the family farm. Dr. Schlaman served on the Cheyenne County Extension Board and was active in the diabetic association. At the time of his death, Dr. Schlaman was serving on the Farm Services Agency Board.
Memorials may be made to the St Patrick's Pipe Organ Fund, 1039 14th Ave, Sidney, NE 69162, or the Nebraska VMA Centennial Scholarship Foundation, PO Box 2118, Hastings, NE 68902.
Kenneth W. Soncrainte
Dr. Soncrainte (MSU '53), 77, Atlanta, Mich, died Sept 11, 2000. A member of the Michigan VMA, he established a practice in Pontiac in 1953. Moving to Atlanta he set up practice there in 1969 and retired in 1985. A Marine Corps veteran, Dr. Soncrainte fought at Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, and the Volcano Islands and received the Purple Heart after being wounded on Iwo Jima.
| ||James H. Vickers |
Dr. Vickers (OSU '58), 70, Ijamsville, Md, died Aug 24, 2000. Early in his career, he was a zoo veterinarian at the Columbus Zoo in Ohio, and a primatologist for Lederle Laboratories, Pearl River, NY, where he established a system to provide a worldwide supply of monkeys for the production and testing of oral polio vaccine and later became head of experimental pathology and toxicology.
From the 1970s until his 1995 retirement he was director of veterinary services for the pathobiology and primatology branch in FDA's Bureau of (now called Center for) Biologics. While there, he served as consultant to the Egyptian Organization for Biological and Vaccine Production about the procedures for safety testing of living, oral poliovirus vaccines.
He was given The Ohio State University Alumni Service Award for outstanding contributions to human welfare in 1987.
In the late 1980s, Dr. Vickers received the FDA Commissioner's Special Citation, one of many FDA citations conferred upon him for developing high standards in humane care of laboratory animals. Before his retirement in 1995, he had also represented the FDA on the Interagency Research Animal Committee and served as chair of the CBER Animal Care and Use Committee.
Dr. Vickers was a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Pathologists and a member of the American Association of Neuropathologists, Society of Toxicology, and Society of Pharmaceutical and Environmental Pathologists. He served as a captain in the Army Medical Service Corps Reserve from 1958-1962. Memorials may be made to St Ignatias Loyola Church, 3523 Urbana Pike, Frederick, MD 21704.
| ||Floyd V. Washko |
Dr. Washko (MSU '44), 78, Colonia, NJ, died Nov 5, 2000. Before he retired, Dr. Washko was a part-time equine practitioner. From 1956-1984, he worked at Merck. Early in his career, Dr. Washko taught anatomy and physiology at Purdue University, School of Veterinary Medicine. Dr. Washko was a member of the New Jersey VMA. He was a veteran of the Army.
| Your assistance is needed to ensure timely publication of death notices. At your earliest convenience, please report the death of a colleague or relative to the AVMA News Staff via a toll-free phone call at (800) 248-2862, ext 232; e-mail at newsavma [dot] org; or fax at (847) 925-9239.|