- To serve as the lead AVMA body on food safety issues, programs, and proposed priorities.
- To serve as the lead AVMA body regarding the safety of animal feed and pet food products.
- To assemble information, confer with experts and prepare policy recommendations for the Board of Directors on the subject of food safety.
- To study management and practitioner measures to enhance food safety at all production levels, including microbiological, chemical, and physical hazard reduction, for the purpose of:
- Advising on the role of food animal practitioners in quality assurance programs, in verifying compliance with quality assurance programs, and in certification of good production practices;
- Advising on approaches to continuing education and implementation of food safety measures in production environments;
- Advising on priorities of research needed to enhance food safety.
- To facilitate a One Health approach integrating all sectors of the veterinary profession to ensure a safe and secure global food supply.
The two members of the Council on Public Health and Regulatory Veterinary Medicine are selected by the CPHRVM. Each of the other organizations represented will nominate a primary and alternate to serve a three-year term. The alternate representative will serve when the primary representative is unable to attend a meeting. The AVMA Board of Directors will consider and confirm the nominees, but it may reject a nominee for cause and request the nominating organization to nominate another member. Representatives must be AVMA members and may serve a maximum of two three-year terms.
The committee is composed of members representing the following: CPHRVM (2 members), American Association of Avian Pathologists, American Association of Bovine Practitioners, American Association of Extension Veterinarians, American Association of Safety and Public Health Veterinarians, American Association of Food Hygiene Veterinarians, American Association of Small Ruminant Practitioners, American Association of Swine Veterinarians, and Aquatic Food Animal Veterinarian.
View complete entity description