We challenge you to make the most of your VLC experience by connecting with as many people as possible. This is a great place to find a mentor, an accountability partner, or a like-minded friend to keep you focused as you continue your leadership journey.
Everything on this year’s schedule is an opportunity for YOU to build your network. Here are just a few of the opportunities for making connections during the VLC:
- Conference mobile app: Download the VLC app, launching this fall, and create your profile to start building your VLC network. Take a few minutes to scope out who you know and who you want to meet. And don’t forget your business cards!
- Mentor program: Sign up during registration to be a mentor or mentee. This program will connect interested individuals.
- Interactive sessions: VLC sessions are designed so you can get the most out of our education opportunities! All sessions encourage optimal interactions and collaboration. Don’t sit by the same person twice and use every session to meet new people!
- Governance meetings: Shape policy and the future of veterinary medicine—ALL leaders at the conference want to hear what you think during the House of Delegates, District Caucus, or Reference Committee meetings.
- Food and fun: No need for icebreakers when you can make natural connections over a good meal, cup of coffee, or cocktail. Come to all breaks, meals, and events to find your AVMA squad.
- Conversation pods: There is no shortage of places to gather. Lounge furniture is set throughout all common areas and is ready for your use.
- Exploring: Cold outside? No problem! There are nearly 30 restaurants and bars within one block of the Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile. Grab a pal and run across the street to visit the legendary Shake Shack, or wander the aisles of Eataly for some fresh-made pasta.
More can’t miss events:
Making your mark on the AVMA and the veterinary profession
Friday, January 7
10:15 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. CT
AVMA is hosting an interactive session designed for rising leaders interested in making a difference in the AVMA and the profession. Attend this session to learn more about what AVMA is doing for early career veterinarians and the profession while having the opportunity to brainstorm how to improve those programs with other rising leaders. This session will allow you to connect with fellow attendees while learning about, and providing valuable feedback on, AVMA services important to you.
Saturday, January 8
Noon – 1:20 p.m. CT
Find your community within the AVMA. This interactive lunch will feature facilitated table discussions on a wide variety of topics.
Advancing DEI: From understanding to action
Friday, January 7
3:00 – 4:30 p.m. CT
VMA presidents, presidents-elect, and executive directors are invited to this workshop focused on advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in veterinary medicine. Participants will explore resources provided specifically for VMAs, hear multiple perspectives, engage in facilitated dialogue, and develop an action plan for next steps their organizations can take to advance DEI.