October 22-23, 2019
Marriott Chicago O'Hare
What is the Economic Summit?
Yearly, the AVMA veterinary economics team, professionals from various allied groups, educational leaders and industry executives, come together to present current research and insights regarding issues impacting the economic sustainability of the veterinary profession at the AVMA Economic Summit.
Presentations cover a wide range of topics such as consumer preference & behavior, student debt & education, veterinary employment & compensation, demand for veterinary services, pet ownership and attitudes, practice management & performance, and the macroeconomy.
Summit participants are provided with actionable insights into what the future of the veterinary profession might look like and how decisions today can influence the profession tomorrow.
Who should attend?
You! We invite thought leaders and subject-matter experts in the veterinary profession as well as industry players who are data driven and value current research and industry insights to inform key decisions that impact their organization and/or business, including:
- Veterinary practice owners and hospital directors who are interested in learning how current economic forces are influencing everyday business decisions and intelligence.
- Business and industry executives interested in the latest data on veterinary supply and demand for veterinary services, including consumer trends on pet ownership.
- Educational leaders in academia who are interested in learning about economic trends in veterinary education and opportunities for new veterinary graduates.
What's new in 2019?
The AVMA Economic Summit is the only event that focuses solely on the economics challenges and opportunities within the veterinary profession. The format and agenda for the 2019 AVMA Economic Summit features several new features, including:
- The addition of keynote and featured speakers, both inside and outside veterinary medicine, that will bring fresh and valuable perspectives to the audience.
- Presentations that aim to provide not just the data points and trends, but tangible and actionable insights to support better decision making.
- The introduction of special topic sessions covering relevant issues in behavioral economics, data and technology, and innovation.
- Increased opportunities for interactivity and collaboration.
Mr. Allen Gannett, Chief Strategy Officer, Skyword
Allen Gannett was the founder and CEO of TrackMaven, a marketing analytics platform whose clients included Microsoft, Marriott, Saks Fifth Avenue, Home Depot, Aetna, Honda, and GE. In 2018, it merged with Skyword, the leading content marketing platform, where he now serves as Chief Strategy Officer. He has been on the "30 Under 30" lists for both Inc. and Forbes. He is a contributor for FastCompany.com and his book The Creative Curve, came out June 2018 from Currency, a division of Penguin Random House.
Dr. Jayson Lusk, Purdue University
Jayson Lusk is a food and agricultural economist who studies what we eat and why we eat it. He has been interviewed or published editorials in outlets such as the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and the Washington Post, and as appeared on numerous national cable television shows. Since 2000, Lusk has published more than 220 journal articles in peer reviewed journals, including several of the most cited papers in the profession, and he has authored five books, the latest being Unnaturally Delicious: How Science and Technology are Serving up Super Foods to Save the World. He is a fellow and past president of the Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, and he currently serves as Distinguished Professor and Head of the Agricultural Economics Department at Purdue University.
Contact economicsummitavma [dot] org for more information.