CVTEA accreditation policies and procedures
Last update to this section: January 2023
IX. Standard Protocol for Handling Complaints Directed at a Veterinary Technology Program
The CVTEA is interested in sustained quality and continued improvement in veterinary technology education programs and will accept complaints directed at a program. To ensure fairness to all parties, the CVTEA will use the following procedures when considering complaints:
- The complainant will complete and submit the CVTEA Complaint Form to AVMA staff.
- The AVMA staff will apply the following criteria to determine if the complaint is appropriate for review by the (CVTEA):
- The complaint involves an AVMA accredited veterinary technology program or a developing program seeking AVMA accreditation.
- The nature of the complaint, if verified, could potentially jeopardize a Program's ability to meet the Standards for AVMA accreditation.
- The complaint is written and signed by the complainant identifying his/her relationship to the program.
- Complaints under legal or administrative proceedings, including but not limited to, institutional accreditor review may not be reviewed until the underlying proceedings are complete.
- AVMA staff will acknowledge receipt of the complaint to the complainant within ten (10) business days. If the complaint meets the preliminary criteria for review by the CVTEA, a copy of the complaint procedure will be issued to the complainant.
- AVMA staff will notify the program of the content of the complaint, the position of the complainant, and review the complaint procedure. The complaint and supporting documents may be submitted to the institution. The AVMA CVTEA will take every precaution to protect the name of the complainant from being revealed to the program; however, the CVTEA cannot guarantee confidentiality of the complainant.
- AVMA staff will invite the program to respond to allegations.
- AVMA staff will gather pertinent facts surrounding the complaint including the program's response to the complaint.
- If, after the pertinent facts are gathered, AVMA staff, in consultation with the CVTEA Executive Committee members, determines that the complaint meets the criteria for review, the original complaint and the facts of the investigation will be forwarded to the CVTEA.
- The CVTEA will review the complaint and facts at the next appropriate, regular meeting to determine if action is necessary.
- Both the program and the complainant will be notified of the CVTEA's decision. If the committee determines that action is necessary, AVMA staff will inform the program of such action.
The AVMA staff and the CVTEA do not intervene on individual matters of admission, appointment, promotion or dismissal of faculty, staff, or students.
CVTEA Complaint Form
Before filing a complaint, the complainant must read the Standard Protocol for Handling Complaints Directed at a Veterinary Technology Program.
All complainants must complete this form https://form.jotform.com/210775987653067 in its entirety. This form is designed to expedite the review of complaints. The completed form, accompanied by required evidence, may be submitted via the United States Postal Service or other mail carrier or email to the following address:
AVMA CVTEA Staff
Division of Education and Research
1931 N. Meacham Road
Schaumburg, IL 60173
jhorvathavma [dot] org
Complaints received without this form completed in its entirety will not be processed.