Communication is an integral part of our lives and workplaces. Our words—when used effectively—can build trust, increase rapport, and help our teammates flourish. If you’re passionate about using communication to improve wellbeing across the veterinary profession, AVMA’s new training program might be for you.
The Train the Trainer wellbeing educator program empowers veterinary professionals to become educators in workplace communication skills that support wellbeing. In addition to learning the content yourself, participants come away with the knowledge, skills, and confidence to pass that expertise on to others.
The next training takes place January 6, 2022, in Chicago. It costs just $129 for AVMA members and $199 for non-members. Applications are due November 18, 2021. Apply here.
What can you expect?
The one-day interactive workshop covers these areas:
- The link between effective communication and workplace wellbeing
- Stages of readiness for behavioral change
- Core communication skills that create healthy work cultures
- Strategies for promoting wellbeing in the workplace
- How to conduct communication trainings in different settings
During the training, you’ll get to know and learn from other trainees. Participate in large- and small-group learning, interactive skill-building exercises, and self-reflection. You’ll also practice delivering a portion of the training yourself, building both your skills and confidence.
Educators who complete the program are required to give the associated wellbeing presentation at least two times per year. To conduct the sessions, you’ll have access to all learning materials and a workbook for participants to use in your presentation.
Who should apply?
The Train the Trainer program builds upon knowledge, experience, and skills that participants already have in related areas. The ideal applicant will have:
- A foundation in evidence-based wellbeing practices
- A foundation in the role of effective communication in healthy relationships and workplaces
- Effective teaching/public speaking/group facilitation skills with a willingness to continue growing in these areas
Participants will be selected based on these and other preferred criteria. Before applying, please review the full list of qualifications here.
If you’re interested in the program, but can’t make it to the January training, you can apply to attend any of these future trainings:
- April 15 in-person training (location TBD)
- July 14 virtual training
- October 13 virtual training
For more information and to submit your application visit avma.org/TrainTheTrainer.
This program is made possible through an educational grant from Merck Animal Health.