The candidates are set, and voting will begin soon for a seat on the AVMA Board of Directors.
In District 10, Drs. Leianne Lee Loy and Richard Sullivan are running for election to represent AVMA members in California, Hawaii, and Nevada.
In District 8, Dr. Sam Miller, a small animal practitioner from Houston, is running unopposed and will serve AVMA members in Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas beginning in August.
Find biographical information and candidate statements for all of the candidates on the AVMA elections webpage.
Both Dr. Miller and the winning candidate in District 10 will assume office during the 2021 AVMA Convention, which is scheduled to be held July 30 – August 3 in Minneapolis.
How do members vote in elections?
The AVMA uses electronic voting for contested elections. This simplifies and speeds up voting, making it more efficient and easier for members to participate:
- An email message is sent to all eligible voters, providing instructions and a link to a secure voting website. The email is sent from the address AVMAelectionavma [dot] org.
- Members click on the link to vote and are directed to a secure website. There, the member’s identity and eligibility for voting are authenticated, and they are able to vote.
- The website includes links to information about the candidates running for election, as well as voting instructions.
- Once members cast ballots electronically, no additional steps are required.
- Safeguards are in place to prohibit multiple voting.
- Eligible members who don’t have a valid email address on file with the AVMA receive paper ballots that must be filled out and received by March 31, 2021.
Update your email to vote electronically
Election notices for electronic voting go to the email address in your AVMA member profile. Please check your contact information now to make sure we can reach you when you’re eligible to vote in AVMA elections.
If you live in California, Hawaii, or Nevada and don’t receive an email from AVMAelectionavma [dot] org by March 1, please look in your junk email or spam folder.