The AVMA takes privacy and security seriously. We use up-to-date technology to keep information and member data secure, follow strict protocols to protect that data, and make sure our vendor contracts include solid privacy-protection controls.
There also are best practices we should all follow individually to safeguard our own information.
That’s why we’re challenging all AVMA and SAVMA members to update your AVMA password right now.
Why does it matter?
Having a strong password that can’t be easily guessed by others – people or bots – is a critical part of safeguarding your identity. Best practices advise that we use hard-to-guess passwords and update them frequently.
That means your password shouldn’t be just your first or last name, or a series of sequential numbers. It also means that if you can’t remember the last time you changed your avma.org password…it’s time to do it now.
There are a couple of good reasons to do this right away. First and foremost, you’re thinking about it. There’s a good chance you won’t think of it again if you put it off.
Second – and we’re really excited to be able to say this – a new avma.org is coming soon with great new member-only features that you’ll want to use. For example:
- You’ll have the option to sign in to access member-only materials using your email address, instead of your member ID number.
- The new website will bring enhanced navigation and quicker access to all the tools and services available to you as an AVMA or SAVMA member.
We’re absolutely confident the new website will make it easier for you to get even more value from your membership. To do that, you’ll want to safeguard your account with a strong password that others won’t be able to guess.
Here are some tips for creating your new password:
- It must contain at least six characters.
- It must Include at least one number.
- Because passwords are case-sensitive, it's best to include a combination of capital and lower-case letters, plus one or more special characters. Here are the special characters you can use in your avma.org password:
! @ # $ % ^ & * ( ) _
- You’ll need to sign in to the website to change your password, and it’s easy to get a reminder email if you don’t remember your current password or your AVMA/SAVMA member ID. Just click on the “Forgot your ID/Password?” link at the bottom of the sign-in form:
- Once you’ve updated your password, check the contact information in your member profile to make sure your email address also is current. You’ll have the option to use that when you sign in to the new avma.org, so why not double-check it now?
It’s just that easy
Please take one minute right now to update your AVMA password. It’s quick; it’s easy; and it will help keep your account and data safe and secure.