Are you just getting started in veterinary leadership? Are you a veterinarian from a group or practice type that’s underrepresented in veterinary leadership, or someone who has worked to make our profession more inclusive and diverse? If so, the AVMA is proud to offer $1,000 scholarship stipends to help you attend the 2019 Veterinary Leadership Conference.
These scholarships open the door for veterinarians from a wide range of backgrounds and disciplines to meet and network with other passionate professionals at this important leadership development conference. The 15 scholarship opportunities are made possible through generous support from Zoetis, Hill's Pet Nutrition, and Pride VMC.
Scholarships for rising leaders and veterinarians in underrepresented groups
Stipends of $1,000 will be awarded to 10 AVMA members who fall into one of the following categories:
- Rising Leaders – Attendees with a desire to serve as a volunteer leader and with little or no prior leadership experience
- Underrepresented in Veterinary Leadership – Veterinarians from a demographic, geographic, racial, ethnic, or socioeconomic group or practice type that is underrepresented in U.S. veterinary leadership
Diversity and inclusion scholarships
The AVMA is committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of the veterinary profession, and we’re excited to announce a new scholarship that recognizes individuals who have taken steps to foster these values. Funded by Hill’s Pet Nutrition and in partnership with Pride VMC, stipends of $1,000 will be awarded to five AVMA members who have demonstrated a commitment to diversity and inclusion by participating in at least one of the following:
- Initiatives that foster acceptance and inclusivity for people of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender presentations within the veterinary medical profession
- Efforts to eliminate discrimination against LGBTQ+ people in the veterinary profession
- Programs that connect the LGBTQ+ community to the broader veterinary medical community
Applications for both scholarships are due November 16. Application forms and instructions can be found here.
Why should you attend VLC?
The AVMA’s Veterinary Leadership Conference is the premier event for veterinary leadership training. Whether you consider yourself a seasoned leader or you’re just beginning to explore what a leadership role in the veterinary profession might mean for you, attending VLC will help you move closer to your goal. If you’re looking to sharpen your business and personal skills, make new connections, deepen your understanding of how the AVMA works, or uncover new and exciting leadership opportunities, VLC is the perfect place to start. Attendees also can earn up to eight hours of continuing education (CE) at the four-day event.
The Veterinary Leadership Conference will take place Jan. 10-13 in downtown Chicago. Learn more at avma.org/VLC.