Veterinarians and veterinary teams have been performing essential work throughout the pandemic, nimbly adapting procedures and adopting new processes. As some practices begin moving to expand operations, AVMA’s COVID-19 resource center has a new tool to help you stay competitive in this evolving environment.
The AVMA and AVMA Trust have created a playbook for resuming veterinary practice operations to help practices navigate the unknowns and potential risks of expanding services. This resource will aid your veterinary practice in addressing specific issues that relate to your team, patients, clients, and property as you move toward a new normal. Use its guidance to help protect you as your practice recovers from the initial disruption created by COVID-19. The playbook covers these topics and others:
- Employee health, safety, and compliance
- Premises liability
- Client safety
- Property loss prevention
The guide also includes some of the helpful tools and templates from AVMA’s COVID-19 resource center, like an employee screening template and case management decision tree.
Download the comprehensive risk management guide: Resuming veterinary practice operations during the COVID-19 pandemic.
More tools to stay competitive
The AVMA provides a variety of tools to help your practice adapt and succeed during and after the pandemic:
- Bolster cash flow: Maintaining cash flow is critical for all practices, especially in the face of reduced client visits and ongoing costs. AVMA's guide to supporting cash flow during COVID-19 provides insight and tips to help on both the revenue and expense side. Remember that communication is key—business owners who talk openly with their teams can uncover creative ideas to build a stronger, more efficient business.
- Stay connected with patients: Federal and state telemedicine rules are evolving in the pandemic. Find up-to-date information on how you can use telemedicine in your area, plus a list of connected care service providers.
- Improve your supply chain: AVMA Direct Connect, a free service for AVMA members, helps you find and purchase the pharmaceuticals and other medical products you need. Search once across all vendors to find available stock, compare prices, and manage orders. Your negotiated pricing is applied automatically—and you get access to exclusive promotions.
- Plan ahead to protect your practice: Now is a good time to check your insurance coverage so you are prepared if an adverse incident causes your practice’s business operations to slow down or come to a halt, or if a disability causes you become physically unable to run your business. AVMA PLIT business interruption insurance and AVMA LIFE professional overhead expense insurance have you covered. These two coverages can get you and your team financial reimbursement and assistance while your practice works to resume operations.