Embryo Transfer

September 2011


Oklahoma Veterinary Practice Act
  Nonveterinary Reproductive Services Technician Source Notes
Required level of general education Prior to 7/2012: Bachelor of Science

After 7/2012: 1) Ph.D or 2) Masters of Science and Board Certification in animal physiology by the American Registry of Professional Animal Scientists
www.sos.ok.gov Prior to 7/2012: BS (including 6 sem. hours of repro physiology) and practical experience in embryo transfer in ruminating animals with signed affidavit by 2 clients and 2 individuals certified by the AETA
Hands-On Animal Patient Training Not specified   After 7/2012: Ph.D. from accredited college of university with emphasis in animal reproductive physiology or a Master of Science degree from an accredited college or university with emphasis in animal reproductive physiology and Board Certification in animal physiology by the American Registry of Professional Animal Scientists
Certification Exam Yes (Board approved examination process)    
Continuing Education Required 8 hours / year www.sos.ok.gov Certification examination approved by the Examination Committee that is overseen by the Board (practice act further details the composition of the committee)
Legal ability to prescribe drugs to animals No www.sos.ok.gov Proof of at least 8 hours of CE from courses and study approved by the Board shall be required for annual certification renewal
Overseeing agency / regulating body Oklahoma Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners www.okvetboard.com  
This chart was prepared to provide an example of the education, training, certification and regulatory oversight requirements of veterinarians and non-veterinarian providers in selected areas of veterinary practice. The chart is intended for informational purposes only and is not intended to be a comprehensive statement on the subject matter covered, but rather a guide that provides practical information for the reader. The chart does not represent legal advice and does not constitute a limitation or expansion of the lawful scope of practice applicable in any jurisdiction. The educational programs included in this resource are those known to AVMA and most often referenced in state regulations. This list is not exhaustive and not intended to describe every program offered in any covered category. The information was prepared in September 2011 and may not necessarily reflect future changes in programs. We hope that you find this material useful. Links to other websites are provided for information and convenience only. The inclusion of such materials or links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorsement of those views and positions.
Source: Staff research, AVMA State Legislative and Regulatory Department
Contact: tsouthwellatavma [dot] org (Tara Southwell), State Policy Analyst, AVMA State Legislative and Regulatory Department, 847-285-6779