Charge to/Objective of the Committee
The Committee is responsible for guiding and selecting content for the Veterinary Leadership Conference that is focused on leadership development and based on the schedule developed by AVMA staff in conjunction with the House Advisory Committee.
Structure and Purpose of the Veterinary Leadership Conference
The Veterinary Leadership Conference comprises AVMA governance meetings, continuing education sessions focused on leadership development, and networking opportunities. Its purpose is to equip veterinary professionals at all stages of their career for personal and professional leadership that will benefit both the individual attendee and the veterinary profession.
Membership, Method of Appointment, Terms, and Required Competencies
The seven member Committee is appointed by the AVMA Board of Directors from nominations received. Members will represent the following groups:
- Veterinary Medical Association Executives (1 member; to be nominated by the VMAE)
- Early Career Veterinarians (1 member who has graduated from veterinary school within the last fifteen years; self-nominations accepted)
- Principal and Constituent Allied Veterinary Organizations (1 member who is currently an association officer or who served as an association officer within the past three years; to be nominated by his/her Principal and Constituent Allied Organization)
- House of Delegates (1 member of the HOD with at least three years left on his/her term; to be nominated by the House Advisory Committee [HAC])
- Academic Leadership Education Advisors (1 member; AVMA membership not required; self-nominations accepted)
- Leadership Development Advisors (1 member; AVMA membership not required; self-nominations accepted)
- AVMA Staff Leadership Advisors (1 member; to be nominated by the AVMA Executive Vice President/CEO)
Members serve staggered three-year terms beginning at the January Committee meeting that is held in conjunction with the first Veterinary Leadership Conference held after their appointment and ending three years later at the same meeting.
Committee members will be appointed based on the following leadership competencies:
- At least 5 years' experience serving in one or more leadership roles (eg, serving on an entity of a volunteer membership organization, including student organizations; serving as an officer or executive staff of a membership organization (including student organizations) or corporation; being an owner or senior manager of a business);
- Attendance at a minimum of 10 hours of leadership programming within the last 2 years; and
- Demonstrated knowledge of leadership programming.
All Committee nominees must provide documented leadership and programming committee experience as part of their nomination packets, to include documentation, at a minimum, of the above competencies. Documentation of additional leadership/leadership programming experience is welcome.
The chair and vice chair are elected by the Committee annually.
The Committee is authorized to hold two in-person meetings: one to be held in conjunction with the Veterinary Leadership Conference at the Conference venue, and the second to be held later in the year. The Committee may also meet electronically.
Travel expenses are authorized in accordance with the AVMA Travel Policy.
The Committee reports to the Board of Directors.
The Committee will be reviewed in compliance with AVMA governance policies.