Established in 2009 by the American Veterinary Medical Foundation (AVMF) and the Winn Feline Foundation, this award honors a candidate's contribution to advancing feline health through their research. The recipient will receive $2,500 and a crystal award, which will be presented at the National Veterinary Scholars Symposium.
Nomination and Selection Procedures
To be considered, nominees must have demonstrated Winn's mission to advance feline health and welfare through research; have a pattern of following good research study protocols; complete progress reports in a timely manner; and have their research published.
The nominee does not have to be a veterinarian but should have a strong background in feline research that was beneficial to cats and has been published.
No self-nominations will be considered.
Nominations are to include all of the following:
- Completed nomination form
- Cover letter from the nominator including all of the following:
- Name of the award
- Name, mailing address, telephone number(s), email address, and college and year of graduation of the nominee
- Nature of the nominee's professional activity (type of practice or type of salaried work)
- Organizational memberships (professional and scientific) of the nominee
- 300- to 320-word narrative sketch of the nominee's professional background
- Statement pertaining to the nominee's qualifications for the award
- List of significant research achievements
- Concise curriculum vitae (CV) including relevant publications
The AVMA Council on Research will review nominations and select the honoree. Award winners will be honored at the National Veterinary Scholars Symposium. An honoree may not be selected in a given year if no nominee for that year meets the criteria for selection.
Nominators of individuals not selected in the year of submission can carry their nomination(s) forward for 1 extra year by contacting us and indicating that they would like to do so and submitting updates (if any) to the nomination packet(s). If there is no response from the nominator, the 2019 nomination will not be carried forward for consideration in 2020.
Questions? Email avma-awardsavma [dot] org.
2019 Dr. Jessica M. Quimby
2018 Dr. Philip Fox
2017 Dr. Duncan Lascelles
2016 Dr. Andrea Fascetti
2015 Dr. Urs Giger, PA
2014 Dr. Timothy Gruffydd-Jones, United Kingdom
2013 Dr. William Murphy, TX
2012 Dr. Niels Pedersen, CA
2011 Dr. Jody Gookin, Raleigh, NC
2010 Dr. Leslie A. Lyons, Davis, CA
2009 Dr. Mike Lappin