Board of Directors Chair 2021-2022
District I AVMA Board of Directors Representative
Dr. Karen Bradley graduated from the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine in 1996. Early in her career, she worked in companion animal relief and emergency medicine in the Atlanta area before relocating to Vermont. There, she joined Onion River Animal Hospital in 2000, became a partner in 2003, and is currently the sole veterinary owner of the practice. She initially became involved in organized veterinary medicine through the Vermont Veterinary Medical Association (VVMA):
- Animal Welfare Committee (Co-chair, 2002-2006; Member, 2002-2011)
- Legislative Advisory/Governmental Relations Committee (Chair, 2005-2014; Member, 2005-present)—founded committee, work closely with VVMA lobbyist and state legislators on issues that impact veterinarians in Vermont
- Executive Board (Member, 2002-2015)
The VVMA elected her to the AVMA House of Delegates (HOD):
- AVMA House Advisory Committee, 2010-2013 (Vice Chair, 2011-2012; Chair, 2012-2013)
- Delegate for Vermont, 2012-2015
- Alternate delegate for Vermont, 2008-2011
Also at the AVMA, she currently serves as chair of the AVMA Board of Directors, where she represents District I, and most recently served as Board vice chair. She chaired the Governance Engagement Team from 2013-2014.
She is a co-founder of the Women’s Veterinary Leadership Development Initiative:
- Founding member; president, 2013-2015; immediate past president, 2016
- Speaker at national veterinary conferences representing WVLDI, including: AVMA Convention (2014, 2015, 2016), AVMA VLC (2015, 2016), SAVMA (2014), NAVC (2015), WVC (2014, 2015, 2016), CVC (2015, 2016), MVC (2016)
Dr. Bradley is a veterinarian dedicated to her community and volunteers at
Central Vermont Humane Society in Montpelier.
- Visiting Shelter Veterinarian, 2000-2006 and 2015
- Participant with Onion River Animal Hospital as a major supporter for most events
Other activities include:
- Parent volunteer for a classroom and Educating Children Outdoors (ECO) at East Montpelier Elementary School in East Montpelier, Vermont: 2011-present
- Various Career Fair/Vermont VMA and Onion River Animal Hospital Tables/Booths at Events and Classroom Presentations on Veterinary Medicine throughout Central Vermont: 2003-present
Dr. Bradley is passionate about encouraging leadership in her fellow veterinarians and was a co-author for the JAVMA commentary, "A Renewed Call for Veterinary Leaders" (Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, September 15, 2015, Vol. 247, No. 6, Pages 592-594, doi: 10.2460/javma.247.6.592).
Her leadership objective is to serve the members of her professional organizations as a forward-thinking and strategic leader, and to mentor and encourage other veterinarians to actively engage, participate, and become leaders in our veterinary associations and communities at large.