Your assistance is needed to ensure timely publication of death notices. At your earliest convenience, please report the death of a colleague or relative to the AVMA News Staff via a toll-free phone call at (800) 248-2862, ext 232; e-mail at email@example.com; or fax at (847) 925-9239.
AVMA honor roll member
||Marvin Alexander |
Dr. Alexander (UP '46), 79, Langhorne, Pa., died July 24, 2001. Before retiring in 2000, he ran a solo small animal practice in Philadelphia for 54 years. Dr. Alexander was a member of the Keystone VMA and a World War II veteran.
He is survived by a daughter. Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society, P.O. Box 102454, Atlanta, GA 30368-2454.
||Bertram R. Berg |
Dr. Berg (MIN '66), 71, Hettinger, N.D., died Sept. 13, 2001. Retired since 2000, he had practiced at the West River Veterinary Clinic in Hettinger for 34 years. Dr. Berg was a past president of the North Dakota VMA, staying active in the organization for over 30 years. In 1998 he was North Dakota Veterinarian of the Year. At the time of his death, Dr. Berg was a member of the AVMA Council on Education. He had also served on the Judicial Council.
Dr. Berg was former alumni director at North Dakota State University and served on the Maddock (N.D.) School Board. In 1990, he received the Distinguished Service Award, the highest 4-H Club award given, for a lifetime of service to youth and the 4-H. He had served as North Dakota 4-H foundation director and president, and a Future Farmers of America state officer.
Dr. Berg's wife, Francie; two daughters; and two sons survive him. A memorial scholarship fund is being established by the family.
||Connie E. Bridges |
Dr. Bridges (OKL '79), 56, Anadarko, Okla., died Sept. 3, 2001. She practiced briefly in Batesville, Ark. and then at the Anadarko Veterinary Clinic which she bought in 1980. Early in her career, she worked as a chemist at the Kerr-McGee Corp. and as a research chemist at the Children's Hospital in Oklahoma City. Dr. Bridges was a member of the Oklahoma VMA. She is survived by a son. Memorials may be made to the Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation, Cancer Research, 825 N.E. 13th, Oklahoma City, OK 73005.
||Karen R. Dixon |
Dr. Dixon (COL '90), 41, Phoenix, died Aug. 23, 2001. She practiced small animal medicine in Tempe, Ariz. Before moving to Arizona in 1995, Dr. Dixon practiced in Massachusetts, California, and Missouri. She is survived by her husband, Dr. Bradford C. Dixon (COL '90), who practices in Phoenix, and a daughter. Memorials may be made to RESCUE, 4747 E. Elliot Rd., Suite 29–415, Phoenix, AZ 85044.
||George H. Drewry |
Dr. Drewry (MIN '58), 68, Oconto, Wis., died July 13, 2001. Retired in 1996, he had been in mixed practice in Oconto and founded Animal Nutrition Inc. From 1958–1962 Dr. Drewry practiced in Phillips, Wis. He was a member of the Wisconsin VMA. Dr. Drewry served on the school boards in Phillips and Oconto. In 1953 he was on the University of Wisconsin football team when it played in the Rose Bowl. He is survived by his wife, Margaret; two sons; and a daughter.
||Owen E. Dunlap |
Dr. Dunlap (OSU '44), 79, Indianapolis, died Aug. 12, 2001. Retired since 1968, he practiced for 22 years in Lynn, Ind. Dr. Dunlap worked as a missionary in Zimbabwe for two years. A World War II veteran, he served in the Army. His wife, Mary Jo; two daughters; and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to the Parkinson's Awareness Association of Indiana, 4755 Kingsway Dr., Indianapolis, IN 46205.
||Thomas J. Galvin |
Dr. Galvin (TEX '57), 67, Paris, Texas, died Aug. 21, 2001. He was retired. Dr. Galvin had been a faculty member of West Virginia University, serving as director of the Division of International Agriculture and Forestry from 1986–1988 and director of the Division of Animal and Veterinary Sciences from 1982–1983. From 1958–1979 he was a faculty member of Texas A&M's College of Veterinary Medicine. During his career, Dr. Galvin worked in Kenya, Colombia, Tanzania, Mali, Mexico, and Panama.
He is survived by two sons and a daughter. Memorials may be made to the Texas A&M Foundation, Dean's Office, Attn: O. J. Woytek, College of Veterinary Medicine, Texas A&M University, Hwy. 60, College Station, TX 77843-4461.
||Earl M. Harris |
Dr. Harris (WSU '39), 89, Chiloquin, Ore., died Aug. 10, 2001. He had a large animal practice in Oregon's northern Klamath County. Following graduation, Dr. Harris established practices in Chehalis and South Bend, Wash. During World War II, he was commissioned into the Army Veterinary Corps and served at Bushnell Army Hospital in Brigham City, Utah, for four years.
Dr. Harris was involved in total livestock management programs and was active in Oregon's beef industry for nearly 50 years. He was a lifetime member of the Oregon VMA. His son, Dr. Greg L. Harris (WSU '71), is a veterinarian in Lebanon, Ore.
||Michael D. Hayre |
Dr. Hayre (TUS '78), 48, Memphis, Tenn., died Aug. 29, 2001. He was the chairman of the board of Americans for Medical Progress. Dr. Hayre was also the vice president of comparative medicine at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis and a member of its Executive Management Committee. Prior to that, he served as director of the Laboratory Animal Resources Center at Rockefeller University in New York City. He began his career in the Army as the chief of veterinary services for the 3rd Infantry Caisson at Arlington National Cemetery and served a tour of duty in the Republic of Korea. Dr. Hayre attained the rank of major.
An expert in comparative medicine, he was a diplomate of the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine. Dr. Hayre was a member of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science; the American Society of Laboratory Animal Practitioners; the New York State VMS; and the Tuskegee University Laboratory Animal Medical Society. From 1994–1995 he served as president of the metropolitan New York branch of the AALAS.
Memorials may be made to the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38103 or to Americans for Medical Progress, 908 King St., Suite 201, Alexandria, VA 22314-3121.
||Earl L. Knox |
Dr. Knox (GA '51), 83, Winter Haven, Fla., died Sept. 1, 2001. Before retiring in 1977, he practiced at the Boulevard Animal Hospital in Raleigh, N.C. A World War II veteran, Dr. Knox served as a commissioned officer in the Army Quartermaster and Transportation Corps from 1943–1947.
He was a lifetime member and a past president of the North Carolina VMA. Dr. Knox was named Georgia Veterinary Alumnus of the Year in 1968 and North Carolina Veterinarian of the Year in 1987. He was also a past president of the Raleigh Kennel Club and the North Carolina Association of Professions. Dr. Knox is survived by his wife, Doris Jo; a daughter; and a son. Memorials may be made to the College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602.
||A. Grant Misener |
Dr. Misener (ONT '38), 89, Niles, Ill., died Sept. 6, 2001. Canadian by birth, Dr. Misener grew up on an Ontario farm. In 1938 he moved to Chicago, where he opened a small animal practice. He owned Misener Animal Hospital until 1977, when he became senior partner and administrator of Misener-Holley Animal Hospital. He retired in 1985.
While in practice, Dr. Misener developed a humane procedure to declaw cats and a device to treat corneal injuries in dogs and cats.
The 1976 AVMA Award recognized Dr. Misener for his contributions toward advancing the profession. From 1949–1981 he represented Illinois in the AVMA House of Delegates, and for a time he was vice chairman of the House Advisory Committee. He was an AVMA vice president in 1955–1956 and served on the new Council on Veterinary Service from 1958–1964. He chaired an AVMA ad hoc Committee to Study Future Housing Needs as well as the Section on Small Animal Medicine for the annual convention, and served on the former Museum Committee.
Dr. Misener was a life member of the Chicago VMA and Illinois State VMA. The ISVMA honored him in 1970 with its Veterinary Service Award and in 1982 with the President's Award. He became CVMA president in 1945, once chaired its judicial committee, and for many years was historian. In state activities, he served as ISVMA secretary-treasurer, as the association's first executive secretary from 1947–1954, and as president the following year.
A strong supporter of veterinary students, Dr. Misener provided loans to recent graduates establishing practices, and he endowed a series of annual bursaries for students at the Ontario Veterinary and Agricultural colleges, University of Guelph. In 1979 the college named him a Distinguished Alumnus, and in 1984 he was elected an honorary fellow at Guelph. For years he was president of the Friends of University of Guelph Inc., which he co-founded.
His survivors include his wife, Mildred, and two sons. Memorials may be made to the American Veterinary Medical Foundation, to the University of Guelph, or to First United Methodist Church, 418 Touhy Ave., Park Ridge, IL 60068.
||Graham J. Steele |
Dr. Steele (ONT '57), 70, Flint, Mich., died July 8, 2001. He practiced small animal medicine at the Valley Animal Hospital in Flint.
||Vale U. Thomson |
Dr. Thomson (ISU '38), 86, Clearfield, Iowa, died Sept. 2, 2001. From 1946 until retirement in 1985, he practiced in Clearfield. Dr. Thomson served in the Army Veterinary Corps from 1942–1946, attaining the rank of major. Prior to that, he practiced in Gravity, Iowa.
Dr. Thomson was a life member of the Iowa VMA and a past president of the Southwest Iowa VMA. He is survived by a son and a daughter. His son, Dr. John U. Thomson (ISU '67), is dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine at Mississippi State University, and his grandson, Dr. Daniel U. Thomson (ISU '00), is a veterinarian in Greeley, Colo. Memorials may be made to the Veterinary Spousal Scholarship (which provides financial aid for the education of a spouse of an ISU veterinary student), College of Veterinary Medicine, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011.