| Your assistance is needed to ensure timely publication of death notices. At your earliest convenience, please report the death of a colleague or relative to the AVMA News Staff via a toll-free phone call at (800) 248-2862, ext 232; e-mail at email@example.com; or fax at (847) 925-9239.|
AVMA honor roll member
||Emmet E. Brittin |
Dr. Brittin (MSU '40), 84, Alexandria, Minn., died April 29, 2001. From 1947-1972 he practiced in Brainerd, Minn. Prior to that, Dr. Brittin practiced in Pekin, Ill. Early in his career, he worked for the Department of Agriculture.
Dr. Brittin is survived by his wife, Yvonne; two sons; and a daughter.
||James B. Flanary |
Dr. Flanary (ISU '43), 81, St. Charles, Minn., died Aug. 11, 2001. He was retired. A World War II veteran, Dr. Flanary served in the Army for two years following graduation. He then joined his father, Dr. William Flanary (ONT '10), at the St. Charles Veterinary Clinic. Dr. Flanary served on several of the Minnesota VMA's committees. From 1957-1961, he was on the Livestock Sanitary Board (now known as the Minnesota Board of Animal Health). He served on the St. Charles school board for 12 years and volunteered for the southeast Minnesota Rural Education and Resource Center.
Dr. Flanary is survived by his wife, June; three sons; and three daughters. Memorials may be made to the Foundation for Academic Excellence, 600 Hwy. 14 E., St. Charles, MN 55972; St. Charles Hospice, 5650 Weatherhill Rd. S.W., Rochester, MN 55902; and the St. Charles Borromeo Church, 761 Whitewater Ave., St. Charles, MN 55972.
||George E. Grimes |
Dr. Grimes (TEX '44), 86, Fort Worth, Texas, died Aug. 20, 2001. A small animal practitioner, he practiced at the Grimes Animal Clinic in Fort Worth for 30 years. Dr. Grimes is survived by his wife, Josephine, and three sons.
||Rudolph H. Kemmerlin |
Dr. Kemmerlin (GA '58), 67, Mount Pleasant, S.C., died July 27, 2001. He was retired. In 1961, Dr. Kemmerlin co-founded Ashley River Animal Hospital in Charleston, S.C. He also practiced in Bamberg, S.C. Dr. Kemmerlin was a past president of the South Carolina Veterinary Examiners. He was also a former admissions board member of the University of Georgia veterinary school. Dr. Kemmerlin was the recipient of the South Carolina Veterinarian of the Year Award in 1986.
His wife, June; two sons; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to Citadel Square Baptist Church, 328 Meeting St., Charleston, SC 29403.
||Roy M. Kroth |
Dr. Kroth (MSU '45), 77, Rochester Hills, Mich., died July 25, 2001. He was a small animal practitioner. Dr. Kroth was a life member of the Michigan VMA. He served as treasurer of the Macomb County VMA.
||Jasper N. Needham Jr. |
Dr. Needham (AUB '47), 76, Wilmington, N.C., died July 22, 2001. Following graduation Dr. Needham established his practice in Wilmington. In 1956, he moved to Henderson, N.C., where he became a partner in the West Hills Veterinary Centre. Later, Dr. Needham established the Companion Hospital in Henderson, moved to Hatteras, and retired in 1972.
His brother, Dr. Thomas C. Needham (AUB '52), is a veterinarian in Wilmington.
||Lynn Palmer |
Dr. Palmer (COR '50), 79, Plattsburgh, N.Y., died July 31, 2001. Until early 2001, he practiced at the Palmer Veterinary Clinic in Plattsburgh. Following graduation, Dr. Palmer joined an existing practice in Plattsburg. In 1953, he became a partner in the practice as well as in a registered Ayrshire dairy farm. Dr. Palmer moved on to establish a practice in Beekmantown in 1958. From 1964-1980 he operated the Rae Brook Farm in Plattsburgh. Dr. Palmer was the New York Agricultural and Markets supervising veterinarian for several counties, including Clinton and Essex, from 1972-1989.
A World War II veteran, he served in the Philippines and Japan. Dr. Palmer was a member of the local American Legion and served as quartermaster for his Veterans of Foreign Wars post. He served on the board of the New York VMS, as vice president of the Beekmantown school board, and as president and cattle superintendent of the Clinton County fair board. He is survived by his wife, Alice; one daughter; and two sons. His son, Dr. George W. Palmer (COR '79), practices at the Palmer Veterinary Clinic.
Memorials may be made to the Lynn and Alice Palmer Scholarship Fund that is to be established at Beekmantown Central High School, Plattsburgh, NY 12901; St. Joseph's Church, 1349 Military Turnpike, Plattsburgh, NY 12901; or Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853.
||Robert G. Ryan |
Dr. Ryan (KSU '83), 47, Springboro, Ohio, died July 31, 2001. He practiced in Springboro. Prior to that, Dr. Ryan practiced in Troy, Ohio. He was a Navy veteran.
Dr. Ryan is survived by his wife, Victoria. His brother, Dr. George F. Ryan (KSU '76), and sister-in-law, Dr. Ann L. Baker (OSU '77), practice in Cridersville, Ohio. Memorials may be made to the Kansas State University School of Veterinary Medicine, Manhattan, KS 66502.
||Robert J. Swarts |
Dr. Swarts (MSU '50), 80, Sturgis, Mich., died July 30, 2001. A small animal practitioner, he owned the Country Garden Veterinary Clinic in Sturgis. Dr. Swarts was a World War II veteran, serving in the Army Air Corps. Attaining the rank of 1st lieutenant, he piloted B-24 bombers with the Carpetbaggers Squadron and was awarded the Air Medal with five Oak Leaf clusters. Dr. Swarts participated in three European campaigns and flew with Gens. James Doolittle and Jimmy Stewart.
He served as vice chairman of the board of trustees of Glen Oaks Community College in Centreville, Mich., was past director of the Sturgis Chamber of Commerce, belonged to several veterans organizations, and served as chaplain to the honor guard of his Veterans of Foreign Wars post.
Dr. Swarts was a member of the Michigan VMA and the Southwest Michigan VMA. He is survived by his wife, Virginia; two daughters; and two sons. Memorials may be made to the First Presbyterian Church, 1320 S. Lakeview St., Sturgis, MI 49091.
||Eric I. Williams |
Dr. Williams (LON '44), 78, Stillwater, Okla., died Aug. 15, 2001. He was professor emeritus of the Oklahoma State University College of Veterinary Medicine. Born in Wales, he practiced in his native land for 17 years. During that time, his clinical research on digestive problems in cattle led to development of the Williams test for hardware disease. He wrote a thesis on his findings that won him a fellowship from the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons.
In 1961 Dr. Williams arrived in Stillwater and began his career at Oklahoma State. He taught infectious and sporadic diseases of cattle, and obstetrics; shared the responsibility for the large animal hospital service; and directed student and alumni affairs. He retired from Oklahoma State in 1988 but continued as editor of The Oklahoma Veterinarian, the Oklahoma VMA's quarterly journal, until 1992, and as editor-in-chief of AABP publications until 1998.
A historian, Dr. Williams compiled a history of the Oklahoma State veterinary college and a history of the AABP, "The Sun Never Sets on the Bovine Practitioner." He also wrote a book, "Reflections of a Country Vet."
His most recent professional honor came this September, when the AABP posthumously presented Dr. Williams with honorary life membership, only the ninth person to be so recognized. He knew of the honor before his death. Dr. Williams was also the first recipient of the Amstutz-Williams Award, the AABP's highest honor.
The AVMA presented Dr. Williams with the XIIth International Veterinary Congress Prize in 1981 for his outstanding service toward the international understanding of veterinary medicine. While at Oklahoma State, he had presented programs to cattle owners in Central America. He was also a foreign correspondent for the British Broadcasting Corporation.
The Oklahoma VMA named Dr. Williams its first Veterinarian of the Year, in 1980. That year he also received a Medal of Honor from the French Buiatrics Society. He received the OVMA Distinguished Service Award in 1998. Dr. Williams was a charter diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, an honorary member of the British Cattle Veterinary Association, a lifetime member of the Oklahoma VMA, and an honorary life member, board of directors, World Buiatrics Association.
He also found time for civic involvement. In 1990, the governor appointed Dr. Williams to the Oklahoma Tourism Commission. In Stillwater, he chaired the board of the Stillwater Medical Center and established its foundation. He served on the boards of the local Salvation Army chapter and chamber of commerce, and chaired the water conservation committee.
In 1998, Dr. Williams was inducted into the Oklahoma Higher Education Hall of Fame and, the following year, into the Stillwater Hall of Fame. For his "trustworthiness, service, leadership, and patriotism," the Daughters of the American Revolution, Cimarron Chapter, presented him its Americanism Award.
Dr. Williams is survived by his wife, Mary; two sons; and a daughter. Memorials may be made to the Eric and Mary Williams Endowment, Oklahoma State University Foundation, 400 S. Monroe St., Stillwater, OK 74074; to the AABP Scholarship Fund, Box 1755, Rome, GA 30162-1755; or to Stillwater Medical Center, 1323 W. 6th Ave., Stillwater, OK 74074.
||John C. Williams |
Dr. Williams (COL '38), 84, Caldwell, Idaho, died June 28, 2001. He worked for the federal government, testing cattle in southwest Idaho and eastern Oregon. Dr. Williams also practiced at the Williams Animal Hospital in Caldwell. Following graduation, he began employment with the federal government, testing cattle in Missouri and Arkansas. In 1939, he moved to Nebraska and practiced in Kimball. Dr. Williams joined the faculty of Colorado State University's College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences in 1941. A year later, he began his practice in Caldwell.
Dr. Williams was a past president of the Idaho VMA. He was also a member of the American Quarter Horse Association and the Gem County Quarter Horse Association. His three daughters survive him.