||Murphey W. Banks|
Dr. Banks (GA '51), 73, Lake City, Fla, died June 5, 2000. He owned Banks Animal Clinic, a small animal practice in Atlanta, for nearly 40 years. Dr. Banks served in the Navy during World War II. Memorials may be made to Noah's Ark, 712 LG-Griffin Rd, Locust Grove, GA 30248.
||Morris E. Blostein|
Dr. Blostein (COR '32), 89, La Jolla, Calif, died Aug 3, 2000. He was retired.
||Horace C. Field|
Dr. Field (WSU '38), 86, Lake Havasu City, Ariz, died July 27, 2000. He owned Arcadia Animal Small Animal Hospital in Arcadia, Calif, for 25 years and later served as Orange County veterinarian. He opened the Orange County Animal Spay and Neuter Clinic after he retired. In the late 1930s, Dr. Field worked as a meat inspector for the California Health Department for two years. Dr. Field was a member of the California VMA. Memorials may be made to Lake Havasu City Animal Control, 1100 Empire Dr, Lake Havasu City, AZ 86404.
||Perrian R. Henry|
Dr. Henry (TEX '46), 84, Colorado Springs, Colo, died June 27, 2000. He had served as the state veterinarian for Colorado while with the USDA. A longtime member of the Colorado VMA, he received its 50-Year Award in 1996. Early in his career, Dr. Henry practiced in Pontotoc, Miss, and later was an associate professor at Oklahoma State University College of Veterinary Medicine. He was the resident veterinarian on MacDonald Ranches in Hartsel, Colo, and Lewis Ranches in Colorado Springs, Colo, and then owned a practice in Colorado Springs before working for the USDA. Dr. Henry served in the Air Force Reserve during World War II and later retired from the Air Force Reserve as a colonel.
||C. Edwin Hofmann|
Dr. Hofmann (KSU '40), 83, Tulsa, Oklahoma, died Aug 21, 2000. His 52-year career started with the North Carolina Disease Control Unit (1940-1942). For the next two years Dr. Hofmann practiced in Suffolk, Va, then owned a practice in Tulsa from 1944-1971. He was assistant professor of clinical medicine at Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine from 1971-1972, then returned to private practice until his retirement in 1992. Dr. Hofmann received the William F. Irwin Award for Veterinary Medicine from the Tulsa VMA in 1965. Five years earlier, he had succeeded Dr. Irwin on the AVMA Executive Board, representing District VII. He also served as trustee of the AVMA Group Health and Life Insurance Trust.
Dr. Hofmann has served as president of the Oklahoma VMA, Tulsa VMA, Tulsa Association of Small Animal Veterinarians, Midwest Small Animal Veterinary Association, and the Flying Veterinarians Association. He was also a member of AAHA. The Oklahoma VMA named Dr. Hofmann Veterinarian of the Year in 1985. Memorial contributions may be made to the Rosewood Wesleyan Church Building Fund, 701 S Mingo Rd, Tulsa, OK 74128.
||Lonnie L. Howze|
Dr. Howze (GA '53), 82, Crystal River, Fla, died Aug 2, 2000. A member of the Florida VMA, he was a cofounder of Midway Animal Hospital in Homosassa, Fla, in 1976 and practiced there until his retirement in 1982. Dr. Howze owned a small animal practice in Clearwater, Fla, from 1953-1976. He served as a technical sergeant in the 142nd Field Artillery in the European Theater during World War II. Memorials may be made to First Presbyterian Church of Crystal River, 1501 SE Hwy 19, Crystal River, FL 34429 or Hospice of Citrus County, 3350 W Audubon Park Path, Lecanto, FL 34461.
||Gardner W. Kenneson|
Dr. Kenneson (COR '60), 68, Bradford, Maine, died July 10, 2000. A member of the Massachusetts VMA, worked in Concord, Mas, then owned a small animal practice in Acton, Mass. Dr. Kenneson served as a corporal in the Army during the Korean War.
||N. L. McLeod|
Dr. McLeod (TEX '49), 80, Austin, Texas, died April 18, 2000. A member of the Texas VMA, he owned Austin Animal Clinic. His son, Dr. Don R. McLeod (TEX '75), assumed his practice after his death, and his nephew, Dr. Edwin Wade McLeod (TEX '69), owns a small animal clinic in Round Rock, Texas. Dr. McLeod also raised and bred cattle and Quarter Horses. He served as a captain in the Army Air Corps during World War II. Memorials may be made to Medina Children's Home, Hc 16 Box 75, Medina, TX 78055 or Foster Home for Children, 1779 N Graham St, Stephenville, TX 76401.
||John T. Mercer|
Dr. Mercer (GA '50), 77, Athens, Ga, died May 4, 2000. After 12 years of private practice, he returned to the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine to direct a full-time program of continuing education. Dr. Mercer also served 12 years as head of the college's department head of large animal medicine, and five years as director of public service. He retired from the college in 1987 to become the executive director of the Georgia VMA, a position he had been serving in part time.
Dr. Mercer's service with the AVMA included being a member of what later evolved into the Continuing Education Advisory Committee, Council on Veterinary Service, and what are now the Committee on Veterinary Technician Education and Activities, and the Convention Management and Program Committee.
He was named Alumnus of the Year by the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine and received its Distinguished Service Award. The Georgia VMA installed Dr. Mercer as president in 1964, and named him Veterinarian of the Year in 1966. In 1964 he was appointed to the Georgia State Board of Health and was reappointed in 1968. In 1971 he was a member of Governor Jimmy Carter's Goals for Georgia Program.
||Elmer H. Pick|
Dr. Pick (ISU '44), 84, Remsen, Iowa, died July 30, 2000. He was retired.
||Patton L. Smith|
Dr. Smith (CAL '56), 69, Sacramento, Calif, died Aug 9, 2000. He served the state of California as field veterinarian, state veterinarian, and chief of the Bureau of Animal Health, and retired as assistant director of animal industry in the Department of Food and Agriculture. Dr. Smith was president of several organizations over his career, including the US Animal Health Association in 1999 and the National Assembly of Chief Livestock Health Association. He was a member of the board of directors of the Western Veterinary Conference and the California Academy of Veterinary Medicine. Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society for prostate research.
||Lee G. Sutherland|
Dr. Sutherland (ISU '54), 77, Prattville, Ala, died June 22, 2000. He was a meat inspector for the USDA and retired in 1983.
||John C. Swaim|
Dr. Swaim (TEX '49), 77, Temple, Texas, died July 24, 2000. A practitioner for 51 years, he owned Swaim Animal Hospital in Temple. Dr. Swaim was a member of the Texas VMA, North Central Texas VMA, and National Greyhound Association. During World War II Dr. Swaim was an Air Force captain . Memorials may be made to the Texas A&M Foundation at Texas A&M University College of Veterinary Medicine or Temple Animal Shelter, 3015 Mama Dog Ln, Temple, TX 76501.
||Daniel N. Wells|
Dr. Wells (TEX '92), 35, Richards, Texas, died April 19, 2000. He owned Spring Hill Animal Hospital in Montgomery, Texas, since 1995. Before that, he had practiced in Kaufman, Texas.
Dr. Wells was a member of the Texas VMA. Memorial contributions may be made to M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, PO Box 297153, Houston, TX 77297.
Your assistance is needed to ensure timely publication of death notices. At your earliest convenience, please report the death of a colleague or relative to the AVMA News Staff via a toll-free phone call at (800) 248-2862, ext 232; e-mail at email@example.com; or fax at (847) 925-9239.