| Your assistance is needed to ensure timely publication of death notices. At your earliest convenience, please report the death of a colleague or relative to the AVMA News Staff via a toll-free phone call at (800) 248-2862, ext 232; e-mail at email@example.com; or fax at (847) 925-9239.|
AVMA honor roll member
||Homer B. Brown |
Dr. Brown (COL '40), 84, Colorado Springs, Colo, died May 21, 2001. He was retired. Dr. Brown owned and operated the Brown Veterinary Hospital, a small animal practice in Colorado Springs, for over 50 years.
He was a past director of AAHA, helping to develop their journal and chairing the site committee and the editorial and publications committee. Dr. Brown served as regional director for the Colorado VMA and was their program chairman in 1966. He also served as board member, director, and chairman of the former Intermountain VMA. In 1972, he was named Colorado Veterinarian of the Year. From 1976-1987, Dr. Brown served as board member and state chairman of the Morris Animal Foundation.
A World War II veteran, he served in the Army Veterinary Corps in the China-India-Burma Theatre from 1941-1946, attaining the rank of major. Dr. Brown is survived by one daughter and two sons. Memorials may be made to First Presbyterian Church, 219 E Bijou St, Colorado Springs, CO 80903; Shriners Childrens Hospital, c/o Al Kaly Shrine, PO Box 193, Pueblo, CO 81002; Morris Animal Foundation, 45 Inverness Dr E, Englewood, CO 80112; or Pikes Peak Hospice, 825 E Pikes Peak, Ste 600, Colorado Springs, CO 80903.
||Robert M. Cello |
Dr. Cello (COR '51), 79, Davis, Calif, died May 20, 2001. Before retiring in 1988, he was professor of surgery at the University of California-Davis School of Veterinary Medicine. Shortly after graduation, Dr. Cello practiced in Santa Rosa, Calif. In 1954, he joined the faculty at UC-Davis, becoming chief of the small-animal clinics in 1956. In 1963, Dr. Cello became a full professor and chaired the department of clinical sciences until 1968. He was named the first director of the Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital in 1967, serving in this capacity for eight years. In 1982, Dr. Cello was appointed vice chancellor of academic affairs on the campus.
A diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists, Dr. Cello conducted research in the field of veterinary ophthalmology that earned him international recognition. He held an appointment with the Proctor Foundation for Research in Ophthalmology at the University of California-San Francisco School of Medicine. In 1971, he received the Outstanding Teacher Award from the veterinary students at UC-Davis. A World War II veteran, Dr. Cello served as a B-25 pilot in the Army Air Force and flew 20 combat missions over Europe. He is survived by three sons and a daughter.
||Oral V. Combs |
Dr. Combs (KSU '44), 82, Denver, died April 27, 2001. A retired small animal practitioner, he established the Combs Dog and Cat Hospital in Commerce City, Colo, in 1951. Dr. Combs was a World War II veteran, serving in the Army as a captain. He is survived by three sons.
Memorials may be made to Recycle Racers Inc, 6200 Dahlia St, Commerce City, CO 80022.
||W. Clough Cullen |
Dr. Cullen (COL '43), 86, Mankato, Minn, died April 22, 2001. He was retired. Following graduation, Dr. Cullen worked as a bacteriologist at Fort Dodge Laboratories in Fort Dodge, Iowa. From 1946-1971, he practiced in Mankato. Dr. Cullen went on to chair the new Animal Technicians Program at the University of Minnesota's Waseca campus.
He was a past president of the Minnesota VMA and the American Veterinary Radiological Society. Dr. Cullen is survived by his wife, Beth; a daughter; and a son.
||Floyd W. Frank |
Dr. Frank (WSU '51), 79, Moscow, Idaho, died March 31, 2001. He retired from the University of Idaho in 1986 as professor and dean emeritus. Dr. Frank began his veterinary career in 1951 as a livestock inspector in Oregon, then a veterinary bacteriologist for the Wyoming Livestock and Sanitary Board in Laramie. In 1955 Dr. Frank began employment as a research veterinarian for the University of Idaho at the Caldwell Experiment Station. He was transferred to the Moscow campus in 1967 to head the Veterinary Science Department. From 1974-1984 Dr. Frank was the dean of the Idaho faculty for the Washington-Oregon-Idaho Program in Veterinary Medicine. In 1972 he received a service citation from the Associated Students of the University of Idaho and in 1974 was named the outstanding educator of America. In 1978 he served as a consultant for Michigan State University to the School of Veterinary Medicine, Federal University of Vicosa, Brazil, helping to develop a veterinary school.
Dr. Frank was on the advisory board to the secretaries of the departments of Agriculture and Interior on the Wild Horse and Burro Program, chairing the board in 1975. He served as Idaho's delegate to the AVMA from 1972-1976, as president of the former Intermountain VMA from 1973-1974, and as director of the Idaho VMA from 1964-1985. The Idaho VMA named him Veterinarian of the Decade in 1984 and established the Floyd and Eloise Frank Scholarship. The same year, he was honored as a Distinguished Veterinary Alumnus by Washington State University.
A Navy and Marine Corps veteran, Dr. Frank served as an aviator during World War II. He is survived by his wife, Eloise; a son; and a daughter. Memorials may be made to the Floyd and Eloise Frank Scholarship, c/o the Development Office, University of Idaho, Moscow, ID 83844.
||Benjamin C. Hekhuis |
Dr. Hekhuis (MSU '45), 80, Coopersville, Mich, died May 12, 2001. He was the founder of the Coopersville Animal Clinic. Dr. Hekhuis was a member of The Gideons International. He sponsored several students in their seminary education and was also active in missionary work in Alabama.
Dr. Hekhuis is survived by his wife, Marge; two sons; one daughter; two stepsons; and one stepdaughter. Memorials may be made to the Coopersville Area Foundation, 101 W Cleveland, Coopersville, MI 49404, or The Gideons International, PO Box 140800, Nashville, TN 37214-0800.
||Orris W. Nipper |
Dr. Nipper (KSU '46), 79, Magnolia, Ark, died April 2, 2001. During the course of his career, he owned and operated the Nipper Veterinary Hospital in Magnolia and worked for the USDA. Dr. Nipper was a past president of the Arkansas VMA and its Veterinarian of the Year in 1962.
His wife, Mary Jean; two sons; and a daughter survive him.
||Robert C. Smith |
Dr. Smith (OSU '40), 84, Kokomo, Ind, died May 19, 2001. Retired in 1985, he owned and operated the Jefferson Road Animal Hospital in Kokomo. Following graduation, Dr. Smith practiced in Amboy and Peru in Indiana. He went on to become a city veterinarian in Dayton, Ohio. In 1943, Dr. Smith joined the Army Veterinary Corps in Kansas City, Kan, where he was involved with meat, dairy, and food inspection. He attained the rank of captain, completing his service as a station veterinarian in Columbus, Ohio.
Dr. Smith was a life member of the Wabash Valley VMA and the Indiana VMA. He is survived by his wife, Mary; two sons; and two daughters. His brothers, Dr. Carl W. Smith (OSU '44) and Dr. Howard S. Smith (OSU '44), are veterinarians in Fort Myers, Fla, and Fairborn, Ohio, respectively.
Memorial contributions may be made to the American Heart Association, National Center, 7272 Greenville Ave, Dallas, TX 75231.
||Robert B. Weber |
Dr. Weber (UP '43), 82, Monroe Township, Pa, died May 3, 2001. He was a farmer in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, and operated a mixed practice. Dr. Weber was a member of the Pennsylvania VMA and the Pennsylvania Farmers Association. A World War II veteran, he served in the Army.
Memorials may be made to the University of Pennsylvania, School of Veterinary Medicine, Office of Development, Alumni Relations, 3800 Spruce St, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6047.
||Lawrence A. Wootton |
Dr. Wootton (PUR '70), 59, Clearfield, Pa, died Feb 10, 2001. A small animal practitioner, he owned and operated the Susquehanna Veterinary Clinic in Clearfield for 30 years. Dr. Wootton was licensed to rehabilitate wildlife on both a federal and state level. He was a member of the Pennsylvania VMA. Dr. Wootton served as a sergeant in the Army.
His wife, Victoria, survives him. Memorials may be made to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, 810 River Ave, Ste 100, Pittsburg, PA 15212, or the Make a Wish Foundation, 555 Grant St, Ste 425, Pittsburg, PA 15219.