Your assistance is needed to ensure timely publication of death notices. At your earliest convenience, please report the death of a colleague or relative to the AVMA News Staff via a toll-free phone call at (800) 248-2862, ext 232; e-mail at email@example.com; or fax at (847) 925-9239.
|John R. McCoy, 1916-2001 |
Dr. John R. McCoy
Former AVMA president and professor emeritus of pathology at the Robert Wood Johnson School of Medicine, Dr. John R. McCoy (UP '40), Virginia Beach, Va, died Feb 20, 2001 at the age of 84. He was an AVMA honor roll member.
A veteran of World War II, Dr. McCoy served in the South Pacific theatre shortly after graduation. After 30 months of duty, he retired as a major from the Army Veterinary Corps. Dr. McCoy then joined the New Jersey Bureau of Animal Industry, where he worked as senior field inspector in tuberculosis and brucellosis control. His research with cancer chemotherapy and therapeutic diets for dogs led to his being named associate professor in the Bureau of Biological Research at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, NJ, in 1950. Dr. McCoy was later promoted to research professor, and in 1965 was elected chairman of the University Section to Comparative Pathology.
In 1957 Dr. McCoy founded the Edgebrook Veterinary Hospital in East Brunswick, NJ, which he ran until 1963. He also co-founded Bio/Dynamics Inc, a toxicologic testing laboratory, in 1961 and worked as a consulting pathologist with various pharmaceutical companies. In 1970 Dr. McCoy was appointed professor of pathology and director of the Vivarium at Rutgers Medical School and adjunct research professor at the Bureau of Biological Research. He retired in 1981.
Dr. McCoy served as secretary of the New Jersey VMA from 1952-1968 and as delegate to the AVMA from 1959-1963. While representing District 2 on the AVMA Executive Board he was elected chairman for an unprecedented three terms and served as president of the AVMA Foundation at the same time. He also served on the Council on Research. Dr. McCoy became the 108th president of the AVMA in 1971 and served concurrently as president of the New Jersey VMA. He was a founding member and president of the Society of Pharmacological and Environmental Pathologists and the American Association of Retired Veterinarians. He was a member of select committees for the FDA and the National Institutes of Health in Washington, DC.
For his distinguished contributions to the advancement of veterinary medical organizations, Dr. McCoy was selected to receive the AVMA Award in 1981. He was the recipient of the New Jersey VMA's Distinguished Service Award in 1968 and 1974. He also received a diplomatic award at the XIX World Veterinary Congress.
Survivors include his wife, Lloma McCoy, and his son, Wayne D. McCoy. Memorials may be made to the American Veterinary Medical Foundation.
AVMA honor roll member
||William F. Bradley |
Dr. Bradley (KSU '53), 74, Lawrence, Kan, died Jan 26, 2001. Dr. Bradley practiced in Mexico, Mo, until he joined the Air Force. He attained the rank of captain and was discharged in 1957. He went on to establish the Bradley Veterinary Hospital in Lawrence, where he was in mixed practice until 1990. He also owned a Hereford ranch.
He was a member of the Kansas VMA and served as president from 1981-1982. Two of Dr. Bradley's sons-Dr. Roger A. Bradley (KSU '80), Sebastopol, Calif, and Dr. John S. Bradley (KSU '87), Lawrence, Kan-are veterinarians. Memorials may be made to the Pet Trust at Kansas State University in care of the veterinary school or to the Douglas County 4-H Foundation, 1100 Massachusetts St, Lawrence, KS 66044.
||Joseph R. DeVries |
Dr. DeVries (MSU '35), 90, Owosso, Mich, died Feb 3, 2001. In 1936 he established a mixed practice in Owosso, where he worked for 44 years, until his retirement in 1980. Known for his expertise in equine medicine by his fellow veterinarians, Dr. DeVries was frequently consulted on difficult cases across the state.
An enthusiastic horseman, he competed in riding, driving five-gaited Saddlebred horses, and combination classes, and he judged horsemanship classes at local fairs. Dr. DeVries was a founding member of the Michigan Horse Drawn Vehicle Association and the Michigan Horse Show Association.
Memorials may be sent to the Shiawassee County Humane Society, 123 S Washington St, Owosso, MI 48867.
||James K. Farrell |
Dr. Farrell (MO '50), 80, Boonville, Mo, died Jan 22, 2001. He was a mixed animal practitioner. From 1943-1946, Dr. Farrell served in the Army field artillery. He practiced in Moberly, Mo, for two years following his graduation. In 1953, Dr. Farrell joined Boonville Veterinary Hospital, where he remained until his retirement in the early 1990s.
He was a lifetime member of the Central Missouri VMA and the Missouri VMA. Dr. Farrell served as president of the Missouri VMA in 1958 and was named Veterinarian of the Year in 1969. Memorials may be made to the Nelson Memorial United Methodist Church Capital Improvement Fund, 407 E Spring St, Boonville, MO 65233, or to a charity of one's choice.
||Jack G. Fuller |
Dr. Fuller (CVC '17), 105, La Mesa, Calif, died Jan 4, 2001. He served in the Army for 33 years, retiring in 1950 with the rank of colonel. Dr. Fuller was aide-de-camp to General Hugh Johnson during World War I and chief veterinarian of the China-Burma-India theatre during World War II. While serving in China, he received the Legion of Merit for outstanding service in reorganizing the veterinary corps of the Chinese army and preserving the health and efficiency of the animals of the Chinese and American armies.
||Gerald L. Johnson |
Dr. Johnson (MSU '68), 55, Hardesty, Okla, died Nov 11, 2000. A member of the National Association of Federal Veterinarians, he worked as a field veterinary medical officer. In 1996, he was posted at Seaboard Farms, Guymon, Okla, and in 1997 became the inspector in charge. His endeavors and success as an inspector in charge and his contribution of pathology slides for the training of FSIS veterinarians are being recognized in the form of a posthumous award from the NAFV.
||Kenneth E. Johnston |
Dr. Johnston (ISU '52), 74, West Salem, Wis, died Sept 30, 2000. Retired, he had been self-employed most of the years he practiced clinical veterinary medicine. Dr. Johnston was a member of the Wisconsin VMA and the Coulee Region Veterinary Association. A World War II veteran, he served in the Navy.
||Paul M. Keene |
Dr. Keene (OSU '42), 81, Eldridge, Iowa, died Jan 27, 2001. Early in his career, he practiced in Hinckley, Ill. Gradually, Dr. Keene expanded his practice to include herds in 125 dairies, numerous DeKalb County, Illinois feedlots, and a large feeder pig business. He organized and directed the DeKalb County Breeders Association. In 1968, Dr. Keene joined the USDA as meat inspector for the Fort Worth-Dallas, Texas area. Eighteen months later, he accepted employment with the Division of Meat, Poultry, and Livestock Inspection of the Illinois Department of Agriculture as a regional veterinarian in charge.
Dr. Keene was a member of the Northern Illinois VMA and the Kankakee Valley VMA. He was a lifetime member of the Illinois State VMA and served as director for more than 10 years until 1982. Prior to that, he served as its executive secretary.
||Samuel K. Kirk |
Dr. Kirk (TEX '45), 80, San Antonio, died Dec 16, 2000. He was a mixed animal practitioner. Early in his career, Dr. Kirk practiced at Stanford, Texas and worked as chief meat inspector in Lubbock, Texas.
In 1946, he joined the Army Veterinary Corps as a first lieutenant. His foreign service included Korea and Europe. In the army, Dr. Kirk was involved in clinical medicine and food inspection, and worked as an instructor at the Army veterinary school and the Army meat and dairy hygiene school in Chicago. During his time in the military, he received seven medals, including the Meritorious Service Medal for outstanding performance of duty as veterinary staff officer and the Legion of Merit award for outstanding service. He retired in 1975 at Fort Sill, Okla.
Memorials may be made to the American Parkinson Association, 1250 Hylan Blvd, Ste 4B, Staten Island, NY 10305; the Army Medical Department Museum Foundation, PO Box 8294, San Antonio, TX 78217; St Matthew's Methodist Church, 2738 Bitters, San Antonio, TX 78217; or the Civilian Conservation Corps.
||Marion L. Leighton |
Dr. Leighton (COR '38), 89, Riverhead, NY, died Sept 21, 2000. She was a small animal practitioner.
||Myron H. Lindey |
Dr. Lindey (COR '60), 68, Yarmouth, Maine, died Feb 10, 2001. A large animal practitioner, he had clinics in Yarmouth and Falmouth, Maine. Dr. Lindey also worked as veterinarian for the Maine Organic Farmers and Growers Association and at state fairs. He was employed by the State Racing Commission for 12 years, during which time he sought to expose the issue of drug abuse in the harness racing industry.
Dr. Lindey was an honorary member of the Maine VMA. A veteran of the Korean War, he served in the infantry. Dr. Lindey also served in the US Army Veterinary Corps in Trieste, Italy, where he took care of the horses.
||Donald R. Lynch |
Dr. Lynch (COR '46), 79, North East, Md, died Nov 30, 2000. In 1947, Dr. Lynch established his first practice in Walkersville, Md. Three years later he founded the Glade Valley Animal Hospital, a mixed animal practice, in Ceresville, Md. Dr. Lynch retired in 1986 after serving his community for nearly 40 years.
A member of the Maryland VMA, he was named president in 1959 and also served on the board of trustees. Memorials may be made to Sandy Cove Ministries or Grace Bible Chapel, c/o Crouch Funeral Home, 127 S Main St, North East, MD 21901.
||Arthur A. Miller |
Dr. Miller (TEX '42), 86, Jasper, Texas, died Oct 18, 2000. He was a mixed animal practitioner. In 1956 Dr. Miller moved his practice from Newton, Texas to Jasper, where he served a four-county area.
He was a veteran of World War II, serving in England, North Africa, and Italy. He and his wife contributed an Endowed Scholarship for a Newton County graduate to attend Texas A & M University.
||Stephen W. Miller |
Dr. Miller (ILL '78), 48, McLeansboro, Ill, died Nov 15, 2000. He designed and built the Lakeside Veterinary Clinic in McLeansboro in 1978. After 10 years of private practice Dr. Miller joined the USDA-FSIS and worked as a veterinary medical officer until his death. He was a member of the Illinois State VMA and the National Association of Federal Veterinarians.
||Kenneth W. Smith |
Dr. Smith (COL '32), 90, Fort Collins, Colo, died Dec 10, 2000. Dr. Smith was named director of Small Animal Clinics at Colorado State University's Veterinary Teaching Hospital in 1958 and continued to teach there until he retired in 1976. His career started in 1932 when he established a large animal practice in Lewiston, Utah. After teaching a short time at the School of Agriculture, New Mexico State University, Dr. Smith joined the Colorado State faculty in 1937 and headed the Department of Medicine and Anatomy, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, from 1942-1946. Then he went back to private practice, this time in Sioux City, Iowa until returning to CSU.
Dr. Smith was a charter member and diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons. In 1964 he was Colorado Veterinarian of the Year and received the Morris Animal Foundation Award. Colorado State and its College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences each named him an honor alumnus in 1970.
At the AVMA Dr. Smith served as an associate editor in the early 1950s. He himself authored many professional journal articles and textbook chapters. Dr. Smith was a member of the Council on Veterinary Service from 1961-1966 and served as Colorado's delegate to the AVMA from 1970-1974. He was president of the Larimer County (Colorado) VMA in 1961 and the Colorado VMA the following year.
Memorials to an endowed professorship in his name may be sent to the Kenneth W. Smith Professorship, Colorado State University Foundation, PO Box 1870, Fort Collins, CO 80522.
||Robert K. Somers |
Dr. Somers (MSU '36), 85, St Marys, Ga, died Dec 3, 2000. He worked for the USDA in Washington, DC, for 40 years, beginning with the Bureau of Animal Industry, then with the Animal Disease Control and Meat Inspection divisions in Michigan, Minnesota, and Iowa. In 1960 Dr. Somers became the associate director of the Meat Inspection Division. He retired as the deputy administrator of consumer and marketing services. Dr. Somers then worked for the World Bank, consulting for developing countries in Africa and Latin America. Later in his career, he established a small animal practice in Hastings, Mich.
Memorials may be made to the Building Fund, Christ Episcopal Church, PO Box 168, St Marys, GA 31558.
||Robert A. Stuhlman |
Dr. Stuhlman (OSU '68), 61, Martinsville, Ohio, died Dec 9, 2000. A diplomate of the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine, he was retired from Wright State University. Dr. Stuhlman was a veteran of the Air Force. Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society, Southwest Ohio Area, 5400 Dupont Circle, Ste J, Milford, OH 45150.
||Grant B. Terrell |
Dr. Terrell (MO '52), 75, Geneva, Ill, died Dec 29, 2000. Prior to his retirement in 1988 he worked for the USDA as an animal care specialist. Dr. Terrell served in the Navy during World War II.
Memorials may be made to the First Congressional Church of Geneva, 117 N Fourth St, Geneva, IL 60134 or the American Heart Association, Midwest Affiliate, Memorial and Tributes Program, Dept 77-3968, Chicago, IL 60678-7337.
||Richard H. Updike |
Dr. Updike (MSU '61), 69, St Cloud, Fla, died Oct 26, 2000. He was a small animal practitioner. Before his retirement, Dr. Updike owned and operated the Northwest Animal Hospital in Detroit and the Village Animal Clinic in Farmington, Mich.
||Mark A. Westenbroek |
Dr. Westenbroek (MSU '76), 47, Issaquah, Wash, died Feb 17, 2001. A small animal practitioner, he was employed for a year by the Blue Star Animal Hospital in South Haven, Mich; for three years at the Charlevoix Veterinary Hospital in Charlevoix, Mich; and for 20 years at the Aerowood Animal Hospital of Bellevue and Renton, Wash. He was a member of the Washington State VMA and the Seattle-King County VMA.
||Marvin H. Westerfeldt |
Dr. Westerfeldt (ISU '43), 87, Wisconsin Dells, Wis, died Dec 23, 2000. A World War II veteran, Dr.Westerfeldt served in the Army Veterinary Corps. In 1947 he was discharged with the rank of captain. Shortly after that Dr. Westerfeldt started his private mixed practice in Mauston, Wis. In 1959 he moved to the Wisconsin Dells where he established the Dells Animal Hospital.
Dr. Westerfeldt served as a veterinarian volunteer for the International Crane Foundation in Baraboo, Wis. He was a member of the Wisconsin VMA and the Dane County VMA.
||Martin H. Zarnett |
Dr. Zarnett (OSU '67), 60, Freehold, NJ, died Dec 8, 2000. He practiced equine medicine in Florida and New Jersey for 33 years.