February 15, 2002


 Modify your DEA registration without difficulty

Posted Jan. 15, 2002

A reminder that practitioners who wish to modify their Drug Enforcement Administration registration for a name change or change of address should let their local DEA office know ahead of time, so appropriate registration changes can be made. Information concerning the DEA registration process can also be obtained by contacting the Registration Call Center at (800) 882-9539. If the call is made outside business hours, select option three from the voice tree and follow the prompts.

Renewal applications are mailed automatically, to the registered location only, 45 days prior to the expiration date. There is no additional reminder. The application cannot be forwarded, hence the importance of keeping your contact information current.

Veterinarians who do not follow these procedures could find themselves practicing without a current DEA registration, i.e., handling controlled substances without proper authorization. If a veterinarian requests a state change, submit a copy of the new state license and a copy of the state controlled substance number, if required.

For more information, and to find your local DEA office, see www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/drugreg/process.htm.