AVMA honor roll member
| Your assistance is needed to ensure timely publication of death notices. At your earliest convenience, please report the death of a colleague or relative to the AVMA News Staff via a toll-free phone call at (800) 248-2862, ext 232; e-mail at email@example.com; or fax at (847) 925-9239.|
||Robert W. Brown |
Dr. Brown (UP '67), 57, Gainesville, Fla, died Nov 3, 2000. He was a small animal practitioner.
Joseph M. Farrell
Dr. Farrell (TEX '44), 78, Waxahachie, Texas, died Nov 18, 2000. A retired small animal practitioner, he owned the Farrell Angus Ranch in Waxahachie at the time of his death. Dr. Farrell was a member of the Texas VMA and the Tarrant County VMA. He was on the Arlington school board for 16 years, and Farrell Elementary School in Grand Prairie, Texas is named after him.
Dr. Farrell served in the Army and retired as a captain. His brother, Dr. Don Farrell (TEX '48), is a small animal practitioner in Texas. Memorials may be made to Texas A&M University, College of Veterinary Medicine; the American Heart Association, 7272 Greenville Ave, Dallas, TX 75231; or the First Presbyterian Church of Dallas Foundation Inc, 408 Park Ave, Dallas, TX 75201.
||Robert W. Graham |
Dr. Graham (UP '55), 70, Riverton, NJ, died Oct 10, 2000. He was a small animal practitioner. Dr. Graham established the Cinnaminson Animal Hospital in Cinnaminson, NJ, where he practiced for 38 years, until he retired in 1997. He was on the board of trustees and honorary chairman for the PAWS Farm and Nature Center in Mount Laurel, NJ, working with the wildlife. Dr. Graham was also on the board of trustees for the Animal Placement Group in Cinnaminson, where he helped find homes for pets. He was a member of the New Jersey VMA and a past president of the Southern New Jersey VMA.
Dr. Graham served in the Army Veterinary Corps from 1956-1957 and retired as a captain in the Reserve. Memorials may be made to the Sunshine Foundation, Mill Creek Professional Center, 1041 Mill Creek Drive, Feasterville, PA 19053 or PAWS, 1041 Hainesport-Mount Laurel Rd, Mount Laurel, NJ 08054.
Henry E. Grossman
A scholarship fund has been established in memory of Dr. Henry E. Grossman, whose death was reported in the Dec 15, 2000 JAVMA. Memorials may be sent to the Henry E. Grossman Scholarship Fund at the New York State College of Veterinary Medicine, c/o Peg Hendricks, Box 39, S3005 Schurman Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853.
The JAVMA obituary noted that Dr. Grossman was a retired small animal practitioner. For 60 years he owned and operated the Kings County Veterinary Hospital in Brooklyn, NY. But he also contributed much through organized veterinary medicine.
Dr. Grossman was president of the New York State VMS in 1966. He chaired the state program committee and served on the legislative committee. As chairman of the NYSVMS public relations committee he authored a leaflet on Air Force veterinarians as well as principles of professional conduct. For a brief time he was alternate delegate to the AVMA House of Delegates. Dr. Grossman was the first to receive his state society's Distinguished Life Membership Award.
Locally, Dr. Grossman was on the executive board of the VMA of New York City for 10 years. While its president in 1953, he inaugurated a postgraduate program that inspired national seminar courses. In 1962 the Metropolitan Veterinary Practitioners' Society honored him for his unselfish, conscientious service. He was also a member of the AAHA.
At Cornell University, Dr. Grossman was one of the founders of the James A. Baker Institute for Animal Health. He was a consultant to the Brooklyn Chronic Disease Hospital and the Veterans Administration Hospital.
President Richard Nixon presented a certificate of appreciation to Dr. Grossman in 1970 for his service to the nation and the national committee to the Military Selective Act of 1967. That same year the VMA of New York City recognized him for his outstanding service to the profession.
||Henry A. Hodges |
Dr. Hodges (TEX '66), 60, Corpus Christi, Texas, died Nov 8, 2000. He was a small animal and exotic animal practitioner. In 1970, Dr. Hodges founded the Annaville Animal Hospital in Corpus Christi, where he practiced until his death. He was an attending veterinarian for the Texas Department of Parks and Wildlife, responsible for treating and rehabilitating wounded wildlife and endangered species. Dr. Hodges was a member of the Texas VMA and served on its board of directors from 1977-1990. He was also a past president of the Coastal Bend VMA. In 1982, Dr. Hodges was made an honorary member of the Texas Rangers Association and remained a charter patron.
Dr. Hodges was a veteran of the Air Force, where he took care of sentry dogs. He retired as a captain.
||Carlton R. Hower |
Dr. Hower (UP '51), 77, West Brandywine, Pa, died Aug 15, 2000. He was a small animal practitioner. From 1959-1984 Dr. Hower owned and operated the Tredyffrin Veterinary Hospital in Paoli, Pa. In 1967 he established a pet boarding and grooming business in Chester Springs, Pa, and ran it until 1986. Dr. Hower was a member of the Pennsylvania VMA and the AAHA. He served in the Army Reserve as a lieutenant from 1948-1951. Dr. Hower also served in the Navy as a 1st class electrician's mate. Memorials may be made to the National Parkinson Foundation Inc, 1501 NW 9th Ave, Miami, FL 33136.
||Ronald D. Matchett |
Dr. Matchett (OSU '52), 74, Swayzee, Ind, died Oct 1, 2000. Dr. Matchett established the Kem Road Animal Hospital in Marion, Ind, where he was in mixed practice until his retirement in 1988. Earlier in his career, he practiced in Converse, Ind. Dr. Matchett was a member of the Indiana VMA and a past president of the Wabash Valley VMA. A World War II veteran, he served in the Navy.
Memorials may be made to Converse Church of Christ Building Fund, 301 E Wabash, Converse, IN 46919.
||Eugene H. McGehee Jr |
Dr. McGehee (ISU '55), 76, Memphis, Tenn, died Nov 7, 2000. He was a small animal practitioner. In 1959 he founded the McGehee Clinic for Animals in Memphis, where he practiced until 1992. At the Memphis zoo he performed surgery on injured birds. A member of the Tennessee VMA, Dr. McGehee also helped establish the first animal emergency center in the Memphis area. Dr. McGehee was a decorated veteran of World War II and served as a staff sergeant and paratrooper in the 82nd Airborne Division in the Army. His nephew, Dr. Norris McGehee (TEN '87), is a small animal practitioner who now owns and operates the McGehee Clinic for Animals.
Memorials may be made to Germantown Presbyterian Church, 2363 Germantown Road, Germantown, TN 38138, or a charity of the donor's choice.